PDA

View Full Version : 7mm BR ejection problems

Pages : 1 [2]

snowgetter1
08-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Trappst I will check the headspace with smoked case. I am leaning towards headspace myself. When chambering a round it is pretty tight/hard to close the bolt. I had a similar problem with older brass on my 300wsm. I should locate some new brass because maybe by once fired 7mm br are not once fired. A regular headspace gauge is not available. And I am in communication with Mike Bellm trying to work this out.

trappst
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I read the case forming info again last night and thought of a couple things. Basically, you're dealing with a 30BR Improved....much like the 6 BRX, Dasher, etc. According to Mr. Bellm's site, cases are trimmed to a length dependent on the frame gap on a tender/encore and the case headspaces on the mouth.

I'm wondering if using a false shoulder would be a better way to fireform cases with a bolt gun. Because the shoulder is being blown forward, my experience with Ackley Improved cases doesn't help too much. An unformed case in an ackley chamber will headspace off the neck/shoulder junction and the smoke test will show this very clearly......although smoking a case may give you an idea of what's going on in your barrel.

You might even smoke a formed/fired case and try it too.

I'm still leaning towards excess headspace. With the length being too long, you're blowing the case out too much and possibly blowing the shoulders too far forward at the same time. This is creating a situation where the die is trying to reposition the shoulder/body which isn't an easy thing to do with just one die.

After reading some of Mr. Bellm's site, I know he looks at "headspace" in a different way. He sure does know his way around the single shot break actions!!! Some great stuff on his site.

Please keep me posted!

btw - 82boy, I have a feeling you're looking into this chamber for benchrest!!! ;D

snowgetter1
08-03-2011, 04:51 PM
After some experimentation we believe the problem is the 30 B resize die. The die is just to tight. All once fired brass would chamber easily but, after resizing it was difficult. I think the tight die must have been crushing the case down and out. The die will be sent back to him with some fire cases and adjusted. I did fire the gun with a headspace on the formed brass. Operation was much smoother and no signs of any pressure problems.
I am also thinking about getting a small base 308 resizing die to help eliminate the lower bulge anyway.