PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why some guys shoot 3 round groups...

Pages : 1 [2]

DanSavage
10-21-2011, 06:58 PM
I find that shooting at the small targets like a 1/2 inch dot at 100 yards will give me a better group than a target that was 1''. But you have to have a steady hold and let the rifle suprise you and control the rifle in a way to maintain the sight of the target in your scope after the shot.

Now I have a new way of aiming, by making the dots on my targets about .8" , I hold a mil dot circle right on the dot and it lines up perfect at 100 yards and is capable of good groups. I am no pro and some days I couldn't get a group under 1 " but the conditions have to be good.

hank mcmauser
10-22-2011, 02:44 AM
I generally shoot atthe shoot &C 1" target dots with my hunting scopes they are nearly the same size as my crosshairs when I don't see any orange I'm slowly exerting pressure on the trigger if I waver and see orange peekin out I ease off a little bit, this strategy has shrunk my groups considerably.
some yars back,I had a .22 with a peep on it ,the front sight appeared to be the same size as a 6" shoot-n-c target when it was at 200M the same strategy worked here too, and I once put 3 or four shots in about a 2" group. I then proceeded to put that rifle away for the rest of that days range visit.

DanSavage
10-22-2011, 06:45 PM
It's much more dificult for me to shoot a 3 round group under 1 MOA with a 9 power scope versus a 16 power scope at 100 yards. Good magnification definitely helps me with small groups because it helps you see if your cross hairs are completley steady and centered properly on the target. I usually wont' have the group impacting at the point of aim so I can aim at the same spot on the target every time.

justinp61
10-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I use profiling on corners or unique parts of targets when I feel they are too big. I don't mean to hijack but does anyone else have strategies, experience, or shootin' theories about this?

I shoot targets with 1" sguare grid lines on them, I take a magic marker and paint in a triangle and then aim at the corner. I learned years ago shooting a bow that shooting small targets made me a much better shot.

I am a novice with rifles, only shooting my old model 70 30-06 to sight it in for deer and shoot ground hogs with it years ago. I'm having a ball with my model 12 FVSS in 22-250 ;D.

Luckus
10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree, the smallest spot you can aim at the better.

Aircraftmech76
10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
AMAX'S: an SST without a cannelure! (At least in my and other's experience)

Kevin

helotaxi
12-03-2011, 11:16 PM
3 shots provide a very low statistical confidence level. You're essentially just as likely to get a small group as a large group and you can't be sure what is actually representative of what the rifle or load can do. If you want a representative sample and you're concerned about barrel heating, either wait a significant period between shots or shoot several 3 shot groups with a good cooling period between them and overlay the groups.

helotaxi
12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
AMAX'S: an SST without a cannelure! (At least in my and other's experience)

Certainly not in .308. The SST has a longer ogive, lower BC and is a lighter bullet.