PDA

View Full Version : Considering reloading .223, can I expect as accurate as premium factory loads?

Pages : 1 [2]

A_Gamehog
10-22-2011, 11:32 PM
remember this when you say "Federal factory Loads"

The only misfire (Dud) I ever had deer hunting, was with a federal 30-06 load 30+ years ago. I have been reloading my own since 1969.

I grew up 20 miles from where RCBS was founded and still resides.

Cheap and accurate Varmint loads are Fiocchi 40 Grain V-Max 50 per box and 1/2MOA out to 200+ yards. 18$ per 50 on sale in the winter off season.

Hatari
10-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Since 1965 I don't think I have shot more than 50 rounds of factory rounds other than to qualify at work.

I've been loading for more than 40 years.

I am not a Dr. but I can tell you this I have not shot a factory round in over 20 years.

I started reloading in 1970
;D Lots of old timers here. I learned reloading from my friend in 1965, when I was a freshman in college. He baptized me in chuck hunting with .222 Rem. It was easy to beat factory then, both in velocity and accuracy. I worshipped Nosler Part, but also found factory Rem and Win adequate. Fed Hydrashock greatly disappointing.
I've read in mags that factory fods have much improved, but here you guys confirm that you're still ahead of factoies. This is very nice to know.

iHuntTargets
10-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, I finally got all my reloading gear together, did lots of reading, and sat down and made up a few rounds. Today I fired them at the range, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm using 52 grain SMK, 25.6 grains of Varget, and Federal GM205M primers. I haven't yet measured the chamber of my rifle, so I'm just seating to the OAL listed in the manual. (2.25") I did 4 10 shot groups at 100 yards ... the best one measures 0.87" and the worst measures 1.27". And the wind was pretty gusty. I think that's not too bad for a first try without any fine tuning at all, using the recommended starting load. (Using the Lyman manual.)

Then, a competition shooter at the range suggested I try Nosler ballistic tip bullets. He gave me 6 of his rounds to try, and I put them all in a .45" group. I think I'll try those bullets .... :)

Here are the groups ... the first four are my first handloads, and the last is the group using the Nosler BTs:

http://www.metacraft.com/shooting/first-handloads.html

Anyway, I really enjoyed learning about reloading and putting together this first batch. I'm hooked! Thanks for all the replies here.

kslefty
10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
If you plan on using 60gr or lighter bullets I highly recommend H322 poowder. I have tried a lot of others and keep coming back to this powder. Above 60gr and I use varget myself.

iHuntTargets
10-30-2011, 10:15 PM
If you plan on using 60gr or lighter bullets I highly recommend H322 poowder. I have tried a lot of others and keep coming back to this powder. Above 60gr and I use varget myself.

Okay, great ... thanks. Is there a technical reason for that, or is it just what you've found through experimentation? (I don't mean to sound like I'm questioning the recommendation ... I just love to know the "whys" behind things, as much as possible.)

kslefty
10-30-2011, 10:22 PM
An older man @ cabela's turned me onto H322 when I started reloading and after numerous tries with other powders I keep coming back to it. I prefer sierra blitz king bullets, H322, and regular CCI primers. This is half the fun, trying different combos. I do think the faster burn rate of H322 makes it shine over varget with light bullets.

iHuntTargets
11-10-2011, 02:33 AM
Back with another range report after working up some loads ... this time for a new rifle, a Model 12 LRPV:

http://www.metacraft.com/shooting/range-report-2011-11-09.html

For those that don't care to look through the info, my best group of 5 shots was 0.40". If I drop the worst shot from each group, the best group is 0.29". Looks like the best load I've tried so far in this rifle is 25.0 grains of Varget with a Sierra 52gn HPBT.

Fun stuff ...

GaCop
11-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Good advice.

Dennis
11-11-2011, 08:54 PM
52grn Berger FB's seem to work the best in my 9 twist 223 BVSS, One of my best shooting purely factory rifles!

I am going to try it at 300 yds one day!

I would be interested in seeing your favorite loads

ourway77
11-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Another though on reloading When I plan a hunt I always make sure the rifle or rifles"s I take that factory ammo is available in the event your ammo is lost Etc. I haven't shot factory ammo for 35- years or more ever sinse reloading unlees I get some in a trade and I shoot it up for ther brass. Use to be that reloading saved alot of money but most reloaders would say they reeload for the accuracy you get over factory ammo, But today with components going out of sight accuracy is the reason to reload. Factory ammo has gone a long way in the accuracy department. I on occasion have worked a very accurate load up to find the factory supreme to shoot the same POI but I always sight in my rifles every year to be sure they are still on. Good Luck this Hunting season to everyone and may you get that once in a lifetime trophy. I envey you guys who tromp thru the wood I can no longer do that but I have had my share of hunting. Have a permit to hunt from a car now due to disabilities I have reached a point in life where I can afford it but the body won't co-operate. (Golden Years My A%$) Lou

iHuntTargets
12-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Another range report with the Model 12 LRPV, this time using H335 powder and 69 grain SMKs:

http://www.metacraft.com/shooting/range-report-2011-12-02.html

Not too bad I guess. I figure I still have a good deal of experimenting to do before I find the right combination of powder, bullet, and seating depth.