PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Case

Pages : 1 [2]

bythebook
02-12-2012, 11:26 AM
When I am loading I use the Imperial. I just keep my right hand fingers covered with a really light film and twist the case in my fingers before it goes into the die. If you get shoulder dents you are using WAY to much.

+1 I have used it for 4 or 5 years and I only lube the case body and neck not the shoulder.

Trent
02-12-2012, 12:33 PM
If you have to use a spray, try the Dillon spray lube. I have be using it for years. I dump my brass, several hundred at a time into a clean cardboard box, then spray and shake a couple of times and let dry. I have never stuck a case using it. When I am loading for long range work I still use the Imperial. I just keep my right hand fingers covered with a really light film and twist the case in my fingers before it goes into the die. If you get shoulder dents you are using WAY to much.
Best regards,
Grit

Yep, that is exactly how I do it with the Imperial.

I've been thinking about buying some of the Dillon spray for use on .223 through the progressive press.

fullmag
02-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Ironic, I've been reloading for about 5 years now using a lube pad last week I started loading for .243 set up new hornady die, sprayed brass down with one shot, let dry and started sizing, after about 3 bam stuck case my first ever.
Removed case cleaned die started over, it did it 2 more times so I switched to a new rcbs die and same result, Wtf?
Figured out that if I super saturated the brass from all four sides and let dry it worked well and no more problems.
Worst part was removing brass galling from inside of die.

Trent
02-14-2012, 01:37 AM
Ironic, I've been reloading for about 5 years now using a lube pad last week I started loading for .243 set up new hornady die, sprayed brass down with one shot, let dry and started sizing, after about 3 bam stuck case my first ever.
Removed case cleaned die started over, it did it 2 more times so I switched to a new rcbs die and same result, Wtf?
Figured out that if I super saturated the brass from all four sides and let dry it worked well and no more problems.
Worst part was removing brass galling from inside of die.

Take that can of One-Shot out with you next time you go shooting and shoot the dang thing! That would be the best use of it. Haha.

bowhunter42
02-14-2012, 02:05 AM
been using rcbs case lube and pad for over 25 years and have had only 2 stuck cases, just because I got in a hurry, I usually resize first then throw the brass into the vibrator cleaner and let the media clean the lube off. I also clean my dies about once a month, I do alot of reloading.

kelbro
02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
I used One-Shot for several thousand cases without an issue so my process must be correct. Got a new can, followed the same process and stuck the second case. You guys may be right about a formula change.

No need to risk it when I have Dillon (home-brew copy) spray lube for high volume stuff and Imperial for the rest.

DarnYankee
02-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Anyone using the Hornady Unique case lube wax ?

fullmag
03-01-2012, 12:24 AM
called hornady the other day to get anew spindel to replace the one i bent drilling stuck case and while i was on the phone with them i asked about the problem with the one shot and he said they havent had any problems with it and if i was to just switch to somthing else? but promptly sent me two new spindles out.

Trent
03-02-2012, 12:26 AM
I used One-Shot for several thousand cases without an issue so my process must be correct. Got a new can, followed the same process and stuck the second case. You guys may be right about a formula change.

No need to risk it when I have Dillon (home-brew copy) spray lube for high volume stuff and Imperial for the rest.

I just bought some of the Dillon spray case lube to use on ammo I am running through my progressive. Generally I use Imperial wax. I have to say, I am impressed with it. It very well might be slicker than Imperial sizing wax. I've loaded a few hundred rounds of my match ammo with the Dillon lube on my single stage press and it is slicker than owl shi... snot. :D

fullmag
03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
How do you make the dillon home brew?

Trent
03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Here is a good thread about it over on SnipersHide. It's pretty simple, and even Dillon prints their ingredients on the side of the bottle. Lanolin and isopropyll alcohol. Thats it.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1355078#Post1355078