PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 mm thoughts?

Pages : 1 [2]

jpdown
03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
What velocity did you get out of the 140gr VLD and R17 from the .284 ?

I'm getting 3045 fps and best accuracy with 49.5gr RL17, Berger 140gr VLD with 26" CBI Light Varmint Barrel chambered in 6.5x284.

davemuzz
03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
The 6.5x55 intrigues me as well, the main thing I don't like about it is its low published pressures, which I understand is because all the old mausers might not handle hotter loads. But as far as powders go im not set on any one brand, I need to do some research to help narrow down my choices. Considering all especially brass availability I think im leaning to the. 260

I use either Lapua or Norma brass for my Swede. I will get at least 15 reloads from these brass. Rem or Win brass will only give me 3 to 5. Hardly worth it. For my Swede I load with RL-22 and when shooting the Berger 140 VLD, I load 48gr of RL-22. Now, this is almost 2gr. OVER the published maximum and anyone who would attempt this should work slowly up to it.

However, from my rifle I get no pressure signs, and my velocities are just a tad over 2700fps.

Dave

Trent
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
The 6.5x55 intrigues me as well, the main thing I don't like about it is its low published pressures, which I understand is because all the old mausers might not handle hotter loads. But as far as powders go im not set on any one brand, I need to do some research to help narrow down my choices. Considering all especially brass availability I think im leaning to the. 260

I use either Lapua or Norma brass for my Swede. I will get at least 15 reloads from these brass. Rem or Win brass will only give me 3 to 5. Hardly worth it. For my Swede I load with RL-22 and when shooting the Berger 140 VLD, I load 48gr of RL-22. Now, this is almost 2gr. OVER the published maximum and anyone who would attempt this should work slowly up to it.

However, from my rifle I get no pressure signs, and my velocities are just a tad over 2700fps.

Dave

I would say 3 to 5 reloads on Win and Rem brass is a pressure sign. Or an out of spec chamber.

davemuzz
03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
I would say 3 to 5 reloads on Win and Rem brass is a pressure sign. Or an out of spec chamber.

Swede's can be tough on brass. Win and Rem are not the top of the line...as you get what you pay for. The barrel is a Shilen. I've yet to split one neck or had one case separation in over 500 rounds. I doubt it's a pressure issue. But maybe on round #603, it will make a liar out of me.

aimsmall
03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks again for the replies y'all. Now I get the joy of waiting on cash to come around and parts to arrive.