PDA

View Full Version : Large Shank vs. Small Shank

Pages : 1 [2]

Admin
07-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Theoretically - considering the thread size on several other brands that offered the RUM and WSM as factory chamberings I doubt there's much worry with using either in a small shank action. That said, I'm also one to recommend playing it safe and would say go with the large shank and never have to worry about whether it's going to hold up or not.

Browning A-Bolt = 1" x 32
Remington 700 = 1.0625" x 16
Ruger Model 77 = 1" x 16
Winchester M70 Classic = 1" x 16

efm77
07-14-2012, 08:03 AM
That's why I think the Savage design is stronger than the Remington because the Savage has a smaller/finer thread which translates to thicker/meatier chamber walls even with the same shank size. However, neither company has recalled them and I'm pretty sure Remington uses the same shank on all of theirs so it's probably not a huge danger. However, with the larger cases and thinner chamber walls I bet that the chamber temporarily swells too much upon firing which could lead to sticky extraction issues and maybe even metal fatigue on the barrel eventually. Granted the Remington is a shouldered barrel, but there is a portion of just the threaded shank exposed from the receiver that's under the recoil lug. That's the area I would worry about letting go on one of them because the recoil lug is not going to be a tight enough fit around the barrel to add any additional strength. I personally feel better with the large shanks for all magnums which is why I had my belted magnums converted to large shank. But for standard size cartridges I don't care either way.

87predator
07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
How did you get them converted to large shanks?

efm77
07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Sent the action to a gunsmith who opened up the front receiver ring. Basically bored it out and re-threaded to the large shank size. It's the same thread size of 20 tpi but the large shank is 1.125 inches versus the small being 1.055 or 1.06.

87predator
07-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks. I will have to look in to that.

efm77
07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Jim See at Centershot Rifles did both of mine and he did an outstanding job. He trued/blueprinted the actions while doing the conversion too.

bootsmcguire
07-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Considering that a factory large shank sporter barrel in 300WSM (my example just because I have one here) has the step in front of the threads (that's still chamber area) and that steps down smaller than a Small shank O.D., I think you would be perfectly safe with a Small Shank. But JMO.

nsaqam
07-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Boots, the step on the LS barrel is over the neck of the .300 WSM and not over the body.

bootsmcguire
07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Probably right, I'll do some quick measurements later for my own educational purposes. Course what about say a factory Sporter Barrel chambered for a RUM Cartridge? I have never had one, but if it steps the same then that would be much further down the case.

Just spit-balling here.

efm77
07-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Although it's very slight on the RUM's there's probably enough body taper to where the chamber walls are enough thicker at that point to where it's still meaty enough past the step down. My belted mags though have custom barrels so they taper straight off of the large shank with no step down.