PDA

View Full Version : Extraction Issues - Model 10 FCP-K .308

Pages : 1 [2] 3

sharpshooter
07-28-2012, 10:39 PM
The easiest fix is to replace the bolt handle with one that is in spec. When I run into this problem I just replace the bolt handle with one of mine.
If the problem is worse, it will require the bolt body to be shortened from the back end. The bolt bodies are hard and it will require a carbide end mill to cut it.

DubGunner
07-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Agreed that this would be simplest way to resolve, assuming that there isnt a problem with the spec.

jjdgldaz
07-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Ran into simular issue had to trip case legth back to just min spec.

DubGunner
07-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Cases are either factory our trimmed to 2.005". So far case length has made no difference.

ellobo
07-30-2012, 12:41 AM
All you boys have got to learn, when Sharpshooter speaks you listen and then do what he says. He has pretty much told you, replace the bolt handle as lately Savage has removed metal from the part that engages the baffle and provides a rearward movement of the bolt to give you primary extraction. A new bolt from another aftermarket supplier will have the proper amount of metal to engage the baffle. Someone at Savage dropped the ball when they removed the metal to take care of a defect but didn't realize they were destroying the primary extraction by doing that.

El Lobo

DubGunner
07-30-2012, 09:07 AM
All you boys have got to learn, when Sharpshooter speaks you listen and then do what he says. He has pretty much told you, replace the bolt handle as lately Savage has removed metal from the part that engages the baffle and provides a rearward movement of the bolt to give you primary extraction. A new bolt from another aftermarket supplier will have the proper amount of metal to engage the baffle. Someone at Savage dropped the ball when they removed the metal to take care of a defect but didn't realize they were destroying the primary extraction by doing that.

El Lobo

It's not that I disagree with you or Sharpshooter, since the baffle was replaced and the problem persisted the root cause is likely the bolt handle. But....

I just bought a bolt handle, it came with the gun a couple months ago. If the one that come with the gun doesn't work then the manufacturer needs to fix it. If I have to buy one to make this new rifle work, well this would be the last Savage I ever buy.

thomae
07-30-2012, 09:35 AM
New member and pretty thrilled to learn of a Savage specific forum that might be able to help sort through an issue I'm having.
(bunch deleted to save bandwidth)...
I called Savage yesterday and they said that unless they can recreate the issue with factory loads they can't help me. So here I am. What am I missing, and what suggestions does the Savage brain trust have for me?

It's not that I disagree with you or Sharpshooter, since the baffle was replaced and the problem persisted the root cause is likely the bolt handle. But....

I just bought a bolt handle, it came with the gun a couple months ago. If the one that come with the gun doesn't work then the manufacturer needs to fix it. If I have to buy one to make this new rifle work, well this would be the last Savage I ever buy.

DubGunner, you are starting to sound frustrated. (perhaps I'm misreading your tone of voice). I think if you take a step back, you will find that you already answered your own question in your first post. If you want Savage to fix it, you will need to send it back to Savage.

However, in your initial post, you implied (or at least I inferred from your words) that you didn't want to send the rifle back. You asked for help and were given some good advice on what to do to fix the problem yourself. What you do with that advice is up to you.

If you choose to return the rifle to Savage for repairs, here is what I would do to help make your case:

Purchase or borrow a box of factory ammo and make a video of your rifle and your extractions problems.

Film everything in one take and don't edit the video, so they can figure out that you didn't doctor anything.

(Make sure you have a close up of the ammo box and ammo, and the rifle serial number so they know it is the same rifle.)

Call Savage and get a name and email address to whom you can send the video.

Be professional and polite.

I am sure they will help you if they know the problem is with the rifle and not one due to handloading errors.
Good luck with fixing the problem. We're all rooting for you.

DubGunner
07-30-2012, 11:39 AM
As mentioned previously, rifle has already been shipped back to Savage.

Frustrated? Yeah, I'm frustrated, but I understand how these things can happen. That's why I'm giving Savage every opportunity to fix the issue before I make any judgement on the brand, the quality of their product, or their customer service.

But I just don't accept the suggestion that the solution to making this brand-new-from-the-factory rifle actually work the way its supposed to is to buy additional aftermarket parts. That would remind me way too much of the 3 months that I owned a Ford F250 Diesel. It didn't take me long to realize that the truck wasn't worth it, and was just a poor product. I expect I'll fair better with Savage.

stangfish
07-30-2012, 11:41 PM
I know this is a dead horse but did you by any chance overtighten the front action screw?

DubGunner
07-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Good question for savage. I've never had it out of the stock.

thomae
07-31-2012, 08:14 AM
As mentioned previously, rifle has already been shipped back to Savage.

UPS picked up the complete rifle and it's on its way back to Savage so that they can have a look.

Sorry for my relatively long post, obviously I missed the fact that you had already sent the rifle back to the factory.

:deadhorse:
I 'll stop flogging.

DubGunner
08-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Update on this situation, got the rifle back from Savage today. It arrived at Savage a week ago and I was told to expect a 2-3 week turnaround. Ultimately it was turned around in just a couple of days. A heads up from Savage and a return tracking number would have been nice to make sure it didn't get lost somewhere. But it arrived much more quickly than expected, so I'm not complaining.

They included an "invoice" to show what work had been done (there was no charge to me). These services included "repair", "Check headspace", "Polish Chamber", and "test fire". It doesn't look like they did anything in regards to the bolt handle or bolt baffle. There were some remnants of a green, abrasive power on the action which I believe was a honing powder they used to polish the action. There was also a new gouge in the stock just beside the safety on the left, its only a couple mm and I'm sure it wasn't there before. Oh well, the price for getting this fixed I guess.

As for results, I can confirm that the two pieces of example brass that were sent to them were returned with the rifle and seem to extract without any significant difficulty. These same pieces were virtually impossible to get out before without using a cleaning rod down the bore. I need to put the rifle back together first, but I hope to test fire some rounds this week for a final verdict. I loaded up 20 rounds which had been FL resized using two different dies in my last attempt to see if the die I was using (Lee) was the culprit. At any rate, these 20 rds were loaded using the exact same process as all the others, so if the problem is going to occur again it will occur with these. Keeping my fingers crossed.

johnjohn301
08-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Update on this situation, got the rifle back from Savage today. It arrived at Savage a week ago and I was told to expect a 2-3 week turnaround. Ultimately it was turned around in just a couple of days. A heads up from Savage and a return tracking number would have been nice to make sure it didn't get lost somewhere. But it arrived much more quickly than expected, so I'm not complaining.

They included an "invoice" to show what work had been done (there was no charge to me). These services included "repair", "Check headspace", "Polish Chamber", and "test fire". It doesn't look like they did anything in regards to the bolt handle or bolt baffle. There were some remnants of a green, abrasive power on the action which I believe was a honing powder they used to polish the action. There was also a new gouge in the stock just beside the safety on the left, its only a couple mm and I'm sure it wasn't there before. Oh well, the price for getting this fixed I guess.

As for results, I can confirm that the two pieces of example brass that were sent to them were returned with the rifle and seem to extract without any significant difficulty. These same pieces were virtually impossible to get out before without using a cleaning rod down the bore. I need to put the rifle back together first, but I hope to test fire some rounds this week for a final verdict. I loaded up 20 rounds which had been FL resized using two different dies in my last attempt to see if the die I was using (Lee) was the culprit. At any rate, these 20 rds were loaded using the exact same process as all the others, so if the problem is going to occur again it will occur with these. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Dub~
Thanks for the update. Let us know how the test fire goes.

DubGunner
08-13-2012, 11:52 PM
This is my final report in regards to the saga surrounding my rifle... I'm very happy to report that all extraction issues have been resolved. I ran 20 rounds of reloads and another 20 rounds of factory ammo through the gun and it was just as accurate as always, and not a single case jammed.

The root cause of the problem was a rough chamber, which needed to be polished by the factory in order to be resolved. I'm sure any competent gun smith could've done it, but since it was still under warranty Savage took care of it.

Maceofblades
09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Well I know I'm new to this so please bare with me, but I had a very similar problem with my firearm not ejecting and fired brass. I have the Model 10 with the HS Precision stock in .308 Win. At first it was stiff and after about 40 rounds of factory ammo the bolt would lock in the forward position. It would rotate but it wouldn't come back. Once I got the rifle back to my house and got the chamber open after messing with it for a hour. I sent it back to Savage got it back fairly quick, took it to the range shot fine the first time back then 10 rounds in on the next time it locked up even harder than the first. The rounds on the second one were reloads but they were under book listing and fully resized brass. After getting on the phone with Savage I sent it back to them with the brass stuck in it. The individual that I was on the phone with didn't even have any record of half of the work that they had done to my rifle even thought I have a printed out copy of it. A week later they inform me that they are sending it back to me once again, and I said something that the shot that it locked up on shot high and left. So she ask if I wanted to see if they could get it to group 5 shots at a 100 yards instead of just the function firing.

Well fast forward 1 month and 2 weeks later, which includes 2 new barrels and God only knows what else they done to my gun while it was there. It passed their tests and sent it back to me. So hopefully I will get to go out to the range this weekend and test it out myself. I still have a feeling that it is more either the chamber or the bolt itself, but we will see. Since it was a new gun they have fixed it all for free but out of the 5 months that I have had the firearm so far they have had it for 2 months of that. I hope that this helps or gets some ideas out for other having this issue.

acemisser
09-19-2012, 06:56 PM
sounds more like a high pressure issue to me..Or you are not sizing the cases right..Try a few factory rounds and see what it does...

Maceofblades
09-20-2012, 08:56 AM
I have tried the factory rounds that Savage said that they test the rifles with, and also some Sierra Match Kings as well. So I just find it a little bit odd that has done this one hand loaded and factory ammo.

Deerhunter 28
09-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Have you checked to see if the difference in a fired case and a resized case is only .002 difference at the shoulder of the case?

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
Blacked out

Maceofblades
09-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Actually I haven't thought of doing that Deerhunter. I'll check it out though what would be the problem if it is more than 0.02?

Blueovalbandit
09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
The root cause of the problem was a rough chamber, which needed to be polished by the factory in order to be resolved. I'm sure any competent gun smith could've done it, but since it was still under warranty Savage took care of it.

I had a similar issue with my FCP-K. The forums first response was my ammo was out of spec because at the time it only did it a couple times with the Hornady box and not at all with the Nosler box I had. Tried it some more and it would not extract intermittently with factory ammo. Found the chamber was rough by using a fired case and dykem, you could see some pretty good scratching in the sides. It now works fine with handloads, and factory ammo.