PDA

View Full Version : How many do you shoot for load testing?

Pages : 1 [2]

82boy
07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
that would be great to load at the range. Would save alot of components by not having to load more than you need and then just shooting them to shoot because it takes too much effort to disassemble a loaded round.

Now you got the idea, now make it happen.

jhelmuth
07-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Many Benchrest shooters will only shoot 3 shot groups when tuning loads. I also shoot 3 shot groups when tuning a load. I know I got a good load when all three shots go into the same hole, and you can not tell where one bullet entered from another. As they say 3 shots proves the load, 5 shots proves the shooter.

I agree... but only to the extent that you also track the velocity. Having 3 shots place a fair demand on the ES and SD (for that group) on a small sample. I want 3 shots which represent a reasonable range of values, otherwise 5 shots is better as I am going to do all I can to take myself out of the variability (so that implies you can take your time and make the best possible guarantee that your POA is identical as possible between shots). That means I'm not trying to prove my ability, but the rifle with that load.

So... in practice:

[1] Test your loads with a chrono (why wouldn't you?)
[2] 3 shots... look at the velocities.
> Reasonable, move on of finish 2 more shots as desired.
> Not reasonable, fire 2 more shots and take the 3 with the least delta on the velocities.
[3] Use the best possible setup on the bench you have available to help insure the POA is as identical as you can make it (better eqipment = better results).

DougMH
07-24-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't believe in 3 shots or any number of shots without the use of a precision chronograph. Say we're using 3-shot groups and you have 43.3 grains with 1" vertical, 43.6 grains 1.5" vertical and 43.9 grains 1.8" vertical.

Of course you'd use the 43.3 grains right? What if you had a chronograph and you saw 2,800, 2,810 and 2,790 fps for and ES of 20 fps with the 43.3 gr. For the 43.6 grains you see 2,820, 2810 and 2780 fps for an ES of 40 fps. If you'd had the same MV consistency between the 43.3 and 43.6 grain rounds, the 43.6 grain rounds might very well have beaten the 43.3 grain rounds. It could be that you were a bit careless with the three rounds you made up for 43.6 grains?

Bottom line is not knowing the MV of each round shot and correlating it to the point of impact on the target renders the other testing suspect or useless... IMO.

Blue Avenger
07-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Many Benchrest shooters will only shoot 3 shot groups when tuning loads. I also shoot 3 shot groups when tuning a load. I know I got a good load when all three shots go into the same hole, and you can not tell where one bullet entered from another. As they say 3 shots proves the load, 5 shots proves the shooter.

same here, by the second shot you already have a clue.