PDA

View Full Version : A mid weight varmint round

Pages : 1 [2]

358Hammer
12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Yes I thought about the 405. Gary Reeder did his thing on the 405 and its still a U.S. made case. I ran every rimmed case made here in the states and unlike the RWS case which the rim is the only thing holding the primer. Typical U.S. rimmed cases in the wildcats I made, the rim did not make a difference. When I got to where I felt I should be powder wise primers started falling out just like on a rimless case JD Jones copied the Rocky Gibbs line except he went the wrong way with the shoulder change and made it a 60 degree shoulder. Everyone I knew or met that had the 280JDJ was really angry using JD'S reloading data and could not 1. get the velocity 2. If they did get close to the velocity they lost their cases after 2-3 loadings. I turned many on to the 280 RWS case and their case problem went away. The 7 X65 R is .005 smaller in the body than a typical 06 case so I had the reamers made to compensate for that. SO an 06 case run into my sizing die works fine. Vice versa and the RWS cases will separate at the pressure cup on the third or fourth loading. (Example of how tough those cases are)! The RWS 280 Rem case is the correct size for a tough Improved 06 case. Just expand the 280 to whatever as the shoulder on the 280 is already moved forward as apposed to the 06 case. ANother very nice case I have been playing with is the Nosler case.

The other cool think about my single shot Savages is I leave the Mag bolt head on the bolt and shoot my rimmed cases for the 338R Cooper Express at the same velocities as the 338 WSM with less powder. Doing it with pressure just like the short Mags.

Neal

Apache
12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
I have yet to get my hands on some RWS brass but from everything I've read it's better than Lapua, and more expensive, but VERY hard to come by in certain calibers. Where did you get your brass?

Interesting, you were able to use rimmed cases in your bolt action pistols using the mag bolt head. Single shot of coarse. I will be building one of those hopefully this year sometime. Watching you and Greg show your builds here has been very cool. Takes away some of the learning curve.

Did anything in the 25 caliber area? (It's my latest fascination ;) )

358Hammer
12-30-2009, 02:38 AM
ncooper@gci.net. Lets not highjack this thread.

Neal

Monkeymaster
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
250 savage.
Take a look at the reloading books and compare ballistics, trajectory, and bullet weights. You might be surprised when you compare it to the 243 winchester.
It is and outstanding varmit rnd with the right bullets for p dogs to yotes and will kill deer as good or better then the 243 with the right bullets.
Reloading makes this round. So if you don't reload ?
A and B barrel from midway .
I shoot 100 grn b tips, 3000 fps at muzzle, 3/4 inch 100 yds. Stevens 200 in 22-250 was the donor.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Ksmirk
12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Quackaddict, here's an idea that I had several years ago for a super long range p-dog blaster that might fit you needs? take a 22-250 blow it out to 40 deg shoulder AI get you a say 1-9 twist barrel and load 75gr. A-Max. It might be a bit harsh on your barrel which is the main reason I didn't build one for pasture maggots :o but for a calling rifle or the shoot a few times and move on I believe it would be an awesome LR varmint getter. I shoot the 75gr. A-Maxes from my 223 and it works dandy on these little bitty deer around the house. Later,

Kirk

Armed in Utah
01-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Hard to go wrong with the 6BR...

Simply use a s/shot follower to solve any feeding issues...

The 6XC (6mm/250) is another smart 6mm choice....

Dies/brass/data available for each...

Apache
01-01-2010, 12:40 PM
ncooper@gci.net. Lets not highjack this thread.

Neal

You're right...email sent. My apologies.

Quackaddict
01-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Any cartridge I get will have to work with the mag system, I like having follow up shots without fumbling for shells. So many options!

I would imagine recoil on the 6BR is mild? My rifle is plenty heavy and with a 26 tube would you be able to spot your shots?

Eric in NC
01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
The 6mmBR won't feed through the stag. mag - it may feed through the new center feed mags but I don't know.

I can spot shots with a 26" 7mm BR Savage with a 24x scope.

BobT
01-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I think the .244 AI would work well for you!

Bob