PDA

View Full Version : Any one got data for 7mm Dingato (7x300 WM)

Pages : 1 [2]

calib
11-14-2013, 07:06 PM
i am running a 29" benchmark barrel and getting 3170 with it. i loaded up to pressure marks and went down 1/2 or 1 whole grain from there and thats where i am at now. i think i am 6 thousands off the lands and it is accurate. i had a cop sniper buddy yesterday shooting it to 540 and they where all right in a softball size area on rocks, but there was stuff flying all over when that 180 hits ill see if i can load it

scpaul
01-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Years ago there was a tool similar to a slide rule called a "Powley calculator". I don't know if it is still made or if it has been up graded with the new powders.It would suggest powders & starting amounts for ctgs. Paul

yobuck
01-29-2014, 02:37 PM
I am trying to understand, am I reading this correctly, the Hart barrel 30" is giving you the same velocity as the 26 3/4" factory barrel?

yes thats what im saying. which means a 28" barrel will suffice in the large 7mms if using the proper powder. im using 7828 in mine.
that gives me the best velocity/accuracy combination in my guns. we have also tested other bullets including 180 bergers in both the
7x300 weatherby and the 7mm ultramag. we find the 162 hornady will beat the 180 berger to about 1200 yds for trajectory.
energy isnt the factor for us anyway as by that point were using better guns.

yobuck
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Years ago there was a tool similar to a slide rule called a "Powley calculator". I don't know if it is still made or if it has been up graded with the new powders.It would suggest powders & starting amounts for ctgs. Paul

that would have been homer powley. i knew homer powley having spoken with him numerous times by phone.
he was a balistician who worked at the frankford arsenal in philadelphia. we take so much for granted today
with all the choices we have by way of powders and such. say 40 years ago or more that wasent the case.
there was a fair ammount of "experimenting" that went on. duplexing was the common name for it.
after he retired homer was sort of a go to guy for various wild ideas.

GaryB
01-29-2014, 07:18 PM

I still have mine somewhere. It is online now also...

http://kwk.us/powley.html

Good luck!
GaryB

scpaul
02-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the info re:the powley. Going to look at it ,I need 1. Just incase it doesn't say , do you know if it's been updated w/the new powders?

GaryB
02-01-2014, 09:51 AM
do you know if it's been updated w/the new powders?

I believe not; looks like it still uses the older IMR powders.

I suppose you could extrapolate, we are talking wildcats here. Myself, I'm a chicken, I like all my digits. :black_eyed:

scpaul
02-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Me too! I think it's called a vise,long skring,and fat a## behind the biggest tree in the area. Seriously I work up pretty slowly. Somewhere I read a conversation where someone said the powder mfgers. had reduced the load on the Sharpe & Hart (7mm?) due to lawyers.Apparently wasn't familiar w/Phil Sharp's rep for HOT loads. I didn't say anything,he didn't sound like the type to pay me any attention anyway.Hope he's familiar / the skring method ! Paul