PDA

View Full Version : 17 Hornady Hornet brass???

Pages : 1 [2]

JLShipley
06-13-2013, 10:37 AM
For those interested I received notification that MidwayUSA has more Hornady 17H cases as of today.

I know they have .17 Hornet ammo, or are you saying Reload Brass? I order 100 rounds, it will be interesting if the Primers are Stacked....Will let you know.
JS

plinkin
06-13-2013, 12:22 PM
For those interested I received notification that MidwayUSA has more Hornady 17H cases as of today.

Yes I meant virgin reloading brass cases but never mind they are out of stock again.

leo158
07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Yes I meant virgin reloading brass cases but never mind they are out of stock again.

You think hoarders or profiters buying all that up so fast? Did they sale that many 17 hh rifles that the ammo and brass goes that fast. I doubt it. I bought a case of 17 hh ammo. Sent gun to ruger,ruger after 6 weeks looked at it,said nothing wrong and their tech department called hornady and they ruger told me that hornady told them it was an issue with their ammo. My primers was backing out after shot. This is new factory ammo. My lot number is 3120784

JLShipley
07-13-2013, 02:31 PM
You think hoarders or profiters buying all that up so fast? Did they sale that many 17 hh rifles that the ammo and brass goes that fast. I doubt it. I bought a case of 17 hh ammo. Sent gun to ruger,ruger after 6 weeks looked at it,said nothing wrong and their tech department called hornady and they ruger told me that hornady told them it was an issue with their ammo. My primers was backing out after shot. This is new factory ammo. My lot number is 3120784

When did you buy your case?, prior to 6-1, if so you might of got ahold of old stock, new production, primers are being stacked.....per Hornady, until case problem is resolved. New Cases should be ready in August. That at least what I have been told.:suspicion:
Jim

JTank70
07-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi there I am Jason And am new here.

I Would like to know what some of you experienced reloaders think about reloading this 17 Hornet brass?

I have been buying 17 hornet ammo as I go and picking up some reloading supplies and equipment as I go as well with intentions of reloading the brass this fall once I get the gear and 4 or 5 hundred empty cases.

I have bought 300 rounds in 100 round batches. The first 100 were not staked primers and the last 200 rounds I have bought in the last month or so do have the staked primers.

In the 1st 100 round batch I had 2 rounds leak gas and one round blew the primer right out and the ejector and plunger off the bolt of my Savage 25 Walking Varminter.
It was having feed and ejection issues anyway so I sent it home to Savage and they fixed it good. Nice rifle now..... anyways back to the ammo.....

So I have 300 rounds. 200 staked and 100 not.
originally when I called hornady (I emailed but no reply after a few days), the tech guy told me that it will be fine to reload these cases and he was confident that this was a rare occurance.
Then I got a reply to my email:

"Jason,

You need to contact Savage and ask them what the barrel specifications are in the new barrel.
Savage has been putting on subspec barrels which cause the high pressure damage that you experienced. If the barrel they put on has the tighter sub SAAMI specifications I would strongly recommend that you not shoot Superformance ammunition or any ammunition similar to it. If the barrel is SAAMI spec. then you will be fine to shoot the Superformance ammo which does comply with SAAMI specifications.

Thank You,"

That seemed weird so I called again and got a nice man in customer service.
He explained a little about 'tapered primer pockets" and said that he recommends that I not reload the brass.
He also appologized that they were told to tell people that the brass would not be replaced by Hornady because the ammo was under warranty by them but not the brass once it is fired.

What your take on this?
And, what do you think about reloading this brass?

Thanks

Jason

BTW..... I only chrony'd one round of the "original ammo" on someones chrony at the range. It was 3610fps.
I took my chrony with me last weekend to the range and the staked primer new ammo was averaging 3560fps in 15 shots chrony'd (some higher some lower).
Did they also "lighten the load" so to speak?

Thanks again

leo158
07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
I bought the ammo early may. My 17 will be back Tuesday but now I have to get hornady on the phone and see what to do about the ammo. The thing is, I got the bullets and dies,but can not find any aa 1680 or lil gun. So as now I am stuck with factory ammo. And so far I am very less pleased about my ruger pattern I will say. But will see how things go in the future. Still waiting on the CZ to get in also. Hope the hype about that rifle is true.

davemuzz
07-14-2013, 03:10 PM
The thing is, I got the bullets and dies,but can not find any aa 1680 or lil gun. Try H-335. Look at the Hogdgon web site for specific load data. I've been loading Berger 20 and 25gr bullets with this and getting excellent accuracy.

FWIW

Dave

leo158
07-17-2013, 10:00 PM
H-335 25gr bullet 3100 FPS. I bought the 17 hornet for the 3600 FPS 20 gr pill. Anything under 3600 fps will not suffice for me. But I do TY for the info dave.

plinkin
07-17-2013, 10:24 PM
H-335 25gr bullet 3100 FPS. I bought the 17 hornet for the 3600 FPS 20 gr pill. Anything under 3600 fps will not suffice for me. But I do TY for the info Dave.

I've been reading what Dave has been saying and doing and like you Leo I like the speed of the 20gr but I figured there was something interesting about going with the 25gr. I like the 32gr in the 204 because of Hornady's advertised 4250FPS vs the 40gr with 3900. Even though the 40gr is slower it retains more energy on in the distance. If you are shootng past 200yd with the 17H or 300 iwth the 204R that extra 5 & 8gr although slower is going to stop your prey more effectively.

When I bought my 1st box of 17WSM before I had my B.Mag I could only get 25gr but I wanted the 3000fps 20gr. I have shot the 25gr more than the 20gr and it is more accurate out of my rifle than the 20gr but not enough more to justify paying a couple dollars more per box. When I witnessed it vaporize a can of cranberry sauce at 50yd like it was a water balloon I am convinced it is the round to stop things with. Just my opinion.

JLShipley
07-17-2013, 10:36 PM
H-335 25gr bullet 3100 FPS. I bought the 17 hornet for the 3600 FPS 20 gr pill. Anything under 3600 fps will not suffice for me. But I do TY for the info dave.

What amount of Powder are you using?, I obtained a load chart from Hornady....
Your not going to get 3600 FPS with a 25gr bullet...
H110 9.5gr's with a 20 V-Max...3600 FPS.... Win 296 9.7gr's with 20 V-max 3600 FPS, I'll send you the Charts, give me your E-Mail, have for 20 V-max and 25gr HP...(FPS max of 25gr seems to be HP 3200
Jim S

davemuzz
07-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah....for right now....unless Hodgdon comes out with a Superformance powder for the .17 Hornet, I don't think your going to get a 25gr. pill to get you a 3600fps velocity your looking for. But....if you find a powder that will get you that fps, please let me know 'cause I want that fps just as bad as you do!!!

Dave