PDA

View Full Version : 17 WSM Ammo Alert

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

n4ue
08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
This is REALLLLY off-topic, but some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen, are the pics of the "walmartians". A lady friend of mine works there and she has some great (not repeatable here) stories....... ha ha

The Sporting Goods Mgr tells me how many times / day he gets asked about .22 lr ammo. It's a LOT!!!!

ron

Keystone Kid
08-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Sir----thank you for your offer------I think it is fair-------However, I have been able to find a sufficient quantity of 17 wsm to get the reamer job going and it appears to be successful -------I will go to the target range tomorrow and find out-------my results----good--bad--or ugly-- will be relayed back to the good people I have found on savageshooters----- Thanks----Keystone

Zinzrah
08-16-2013, 10:51 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rimfire-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/17-Winchester-Super-Mag-Rimfire-Ammo/1660059.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshoo ting-ammunition-rimfire-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100192%2F&rid=11&WT.tsrc=AFF&WT.mc_id=cj3946285

20gr in stock at cabelas right now! go get em

Keystone Kid
08-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Well-----the first pass at the range with my newly reamed New England 17 WSM was quite a relief------after the usual getting on paper------using a Swift 4x12 scope ------then stretching out farther to get 'on' at 100 yds-----I finally ended up at about 190 yds shooting 5 shots that measured 3 1/8" between farthest holes------not too impressive but if I throw out the 1 flyer -----the remaining 4 holes all touch the same quarter------I like it-----and the drop is much as advertised------on at 100 yds------approx. 3 to 4 low at 190--------I like it a lot------also-----the Savage 93 in 17 HMR that I shot along side the 17 WSM for comparison-------measured a loose 5 shot group of about 6 " and they all were flyers--------let me know if anyone wants more details or progress reports-----My gunsmith was pretty pleased as well and wants to do more if the gun is workable----I'm now in the market for a 17 rimfire barrel we can ream for my TC Contender---Keystone

n4ue
08-19-2013, 03:52 PM
KK, excellent. Funny thing.... about the time the .17 WSM was announced, Midway was selling chambering reamers for the WSM. I think a lot of folks did some second guessing when they realized the firing pin need a slight modification. The WSM IS loaded to pretty high pressures, and Win said they could go higher, but decided to use 3000 fps as a 'standard'.... They also indicated (tease) that there might be .22 and .25 WSMs on the horizon. Cool, but, I'm done! I have too many 'toys' now, and I could reload/shoot for the rest of my days and still not have reached 'optimum'... ha ha

I have a couple of TC frames and a collection of bbls. Unfortunately, they are all big bore and because of wrist problems can't be used anymore. A few notables are my scoped, 14" .357 Herrett. Sweet. The 'worst' (and probably responsible for my wrist issues) is a 14" .445 Super Mag. Has the same ME as a .308 Win. NOT fun to shoot. Even in .44 Mag, it's much worse than my other .44 Mags. Yes, I do have Pach. grips.....Why did I buy it? I have a SS Dan Wesson in .445 and wanted a 'companion'. BIG mistake.
Although I have been a TC fan since they first came out, I (personally) feel the bbls are just priced waaaaayyyy too high. Even on FleaBay, a used bbl is $250+.... I'd like to find a nice 14" .223 bbl, but.......

BTW, I took my new B-Mag to the range today. This is it's second trip. I had put on a 4-16 Weaver 'Kaspa' scope. POS.
Today, I sighted it in with a new Redfield Revenge 6-18. This is a near perfect combo. After I zeroed it, I let my buddy shoot it. (he LOVES Redfield). He shot a 4 shot group at 50 yds that could be covered with a dime. 25 gr bullets. He doesn't like .17 cals (I have several diff .17s) but I think he's going to buy one of these.
My boss is going to buy one also, he just doesn't know it yet!!! ha ha (I have his unlimited CC, ha ha ha)....

Good luck and if you want to know what other 'odd' TC cal bbls I have, send me a PM....

be SAFE

ron

Zinzrah
08-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Just an update that is on topic. For the past few days I have seen .17 WSM ammo for sale daily on Cabelas. It is usually sold out anywhere between 10 minutes and 3 hours. Id keep an eye open on it if you still need ammo. I haven't seen ANY 25gr HE ammo for sale at all. I managed to score a single box at Walmart a couple weeks ago but I guess I just got lucky. Anyways below is my ammo source searcher and it works well. You can set it up to play a nice loud sound when it finds something. Just keep it up and running and if you are there and lucky then you can score some ammo lol.

GUNBOT Real Time Ammo Stock Tracker - http://www.gunbot.net

.17 WSM Tracker link - http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/17wsm/

Cheers,

-Zinzrah

Zinzrah
08-20-2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.rareammo.com/catalog/product/c9abfc0b8723432cb620c7178be99660

In stock now! 20gr. Not the best price but beats gunbroker by alot. go get em!!!!

fossil
08-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Anyone in the Tracy, Manteca, Modesto, Turlock, California area - Barnwood Arms in Ripon, Ca has 4 boxes of .17 WSM ammo. They've had them for 4 or 5-days! Sorry, don't know what bullet weight they are. Mike

maximo
08-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Barnwood Arms ammo gone when I called at 2:25 pm. Fri 8-23-13

Frank

maximo
08-23-2013, 11:59 PM
I have been on many gun forums and all over the internet. Seems that the ammo people are finding on the Western side of the country is 20 grain and the Eastern part of the country has 25 grain. I sure am wishing the 25 grain will make its way to the West. As I have said before I have 500 rounds of 20 grain that is good for one good day of squirrel hunting in Northern Calif and need more ammo for the hunt after that, would like to try the 25 grain.

Frank

Frank

fossil
08-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Barnwood Arms ammo gone when I called at 2:25 pm. Fri 8-23-13

Frank

Jeez Frank - hoping you would see my find at Barnwood Arms but didn't think the ammo would all be gone. My brother said that there were 2 full cases (bricks) of 17 WSM behind the 4 boxes I saw. Mike

MattB
08-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Just picked up my new B Mag today at Herb Bauers in Fresno Ca. They have plenty of .17 WSM ammo for $17.99 a box. No limit. I bought 5 boxes for now.

maximo
08-27-2013, 02:47 AM
MattB,
What grain is their ammo?

Frank

MattB
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
20grain

Zinzrah
08-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Just walked out of walmart with more ammo. There were 12 boxes left of 20 gr. Walmart in Jesup GA.

Keystone Kid
08-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I found 8 boxes of 20 gr in a little sporting good shop in Silver City, NM-------bot it all-----the reamer job on my 17HMR New England is complete and I could not be more pleased with a new heavy barrel, single shot 17 WSM----it is prairie dog deadly at 200yds-----coyotes and jackrabbits don't have a chance if I do my job-------thanks----K

JG26_Irish
08-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Glad to hear that others are still finding ammo. That means there is still hope, lol. I just searched every Walmart, gun store and pawn shop in the Ashland, KY/Southern, OH area yesterday and found nothing. Tried five locations in South Central Ohio last week, nada. Really want to go to the range but hate to shoot up my last box in one day.

Irish

plinkin
08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
I found 8 boxes of 20 gr in a little sporting good shop in Silver City, NM-------bot it all-----the reamer job on my 17HMR New England is complete and I could not be more pleased with a new heavy barrel, single shot 17 WSM----it is prairie dog deadly at 200yds-----coyotes and jackrabbits don't have a chance if I do my job-------thanks----K

So all you did was ream the chamber and the firing pin hits correctly?

Keystone Kid
08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
plinkin------for the most part yes----the firing pin works fine------we had trepidations going into this project about the firing pin, hammer spring pressure, chamber pressure and extractor--------we got lucky, however the simplicity of the action and lack of moving parts helped a great deal-------any other type of action would have its own problems------the only other work needed was because the larger case put additional pressure on the extractor/ejector and it had to be slightly relieved with a small dremel grinder wheel in order to function properly-------this proved to be easy as the extractor has plenty of meat -------I'm having a few issues with the action locking when closed up -------sometimes it seems I sometimes have to slam it shut to get it to lock--------but it had the same problem when it was a 17HMR------I will work on it--------a buddy is having his New England 17 Mach 2 done as we speak-------I looking for a 17 rimfire bbl to ream out for my TC contender------if you want more info on the reamer or my smith----send me a pm-----this new round is too cool-----I really like being able to hold crosshair near the top of a beer can and hit it solid at 200yds and still going so fast that the can rarely moves-------look out little varmints-------K

n4ue
08-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Zinzrah, do you have a wally world sku for the .17 WSM ammo? I looked at the Jessup, Ga WalMart ammo listing and they have NOTHING concerning .WSM.
Also I have looked at my local SuperStore and other WalMarts and found NO indication they ever had any....

Just trying to figger out how this one store could get something no other store has ever had.... I thought they had corporate buyers....

huh?

ron