PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Dies w/37 deg Shoulder on 300WM Parent Case

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
07-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Interesting lineup! I think your goal should be pretty easy to reach in the 28" tube. I'm curious about why you chose to go this route over the 7MM RUM? I have heard the LRM pretty much mirrors the 7MM Dakota, it will be interesting to watch its progress. My goal when I started dabbling in the 7MM stuff was the ultimate long range pronghorn rifle. Have you had good luck with the Bergers on game? I have not been impressed with it in the field and plan to stick with the Nosler stuff, I'm anxious for the Accubond LR bullets to get here. I flirted with the RUM and standard 7MM Rem. I will revisit the RUM in the future but the Mashburn has too much to offer over the Remington version. I also briefly considered the 7MM Allen magnum but the powder shortage and demise of the Wildcat bullet have sent it to the back of the line. I was camped next to a fellow last fall in Wyoming that used the Allen magnum to make a cold bore shot on a doe antelope at 1141 yards using the 200 grain Wildcat bullet, the shot was pretty well perfectly centered in the lungs. I wish I could shoot like that but he waits for perfect conditions to take a shot, in this case he sat for 5 days and took the shot late on the fifth day.

Make sure to keep us posted

Bob

to wait 5 days for a chance for a doe antelope speaks vollumes for me.
but if that were his choice who am i to argue.
the 28" barrel would suffice for any of the large 284 cartridges using the proper powder.
h1000 and 7828 are the most popular in this area for the 284. i suppose retumbo might
work also on the 180 and larger bullets. weve found that the 162 hornady amax will run
with the 180 berger to close to 1200 yds for trajectory. that due to velocity differences.
that is about the end of the line for the 284s anyway for long range hunting.
actually a standard 300 win mag with a 210 will do as well at those distances.
for long range hunting if i were starting over today id not be owning any of the 284s.
none of them can do anything that a 338 cant do better. i own 2 of them and im not planning on scrapping them.
but facts are facts and theres no disputing that.

chuckhammer
07-10-2013, 03:29 PM
yobuck, sure the big 338s offer more killing power at long range than any .284 but they also have a ton more recoil. This is important to those of us who like to avoid muzzle brakes. Additionally, I plan to be shooting paper and steel waaaaaaay more often than animals so the 284 is, if anything, too big for my uses. Guess I just like the combination of trajectory, wind shrugging, recoil, and energy offered by this bore size.

I was very close to going with one of the big 30s to launch the new and very awesome Berger 215 Hyrbid. Just liked the idea of less recoil.

yobuck
07-10-2013, 04:26 PM
well thats fine and of coarse you should do whatever you want regardless of what others like me think.
just be advised the long range wheel was invented a long time ago. the only real improvments in decades has
come as a result of better components. they have been more prevelant in calibers other than the one
you chose. as for the muzzel brake you will be having one. you just dont know it yet

chuckhammer
07-10-2013, 04:28 PM
well thats fine and of coarse you should do whatever you want regardless of what others like me think.
just be advised the long range wheel was invented a long time ago. the only real improvments in decades has
come as a result of better components. they have been more prevelant in calibers other than the one
you chose. as for the muzzel brake you will be having one. you just dont know it yet

Enlighten me further.

yobuck
07-11-2013, 08:55 AM
well you said you would be shooting steel targets as i recall. i would assume they would be at
some long distances. with a brake you will not only hear the hit, you will also see the hit.
without a brake you will not. even with 30# guns the muzzel jump is such that seeing hits
is all but impossible except at extreme distances. even then it takes an experienced shooter
to recover from the recoil in time to see it. some guys can actually pick up the vapor trail
before inpact. brakes are about seeing hits not recoil. they can be easily removed and the threads
capped if you wish.

chuckhammer
07-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Good point on calling your shots, I hadn't considered that. Guess I never had the privilege in any of my rifle shooting. Makes it a case of not knowing what I'm missing. Maybe I'll add threading to my barrel spec along with a cap. What's the typical thread pitch for brakes on something like this? I recall on .308 AR-10s it's 5/8"-24 TPI.

We've finalized my PTG reamer print #52542 7mm Valkyrie. Kiff only made two dimensional tweaks to my original numbers, both less than .002. Goes into the production queue today.

I'd post a pic but can't reach any of the hosting sites from work. Can someone give me a hand? I'll e-mail it to you and you can e-mail me back the image link for me to post.

chuckhammer
07-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Here's the print:
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8757/wuy.png

BobT
10-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Hey chuckhammer,
Are you getting anywhere with your project? I am going to get rolling again very soon, (I had a brief interlude with the .264WM). I still need to get my hands on some of the LR Accubonds. I also came up with some (16 pounds) of WC867 surplus powder that I want to try with the heavier bullets. I'm going to go with a 28" barrel also I think, and a brake. I still haven't got my chronograph back from PACT but my son-in-law bought one so I have access. I need to tweak my throat design a little for the longer bullets but am waiting on the Accubond to do so.

Let us know how it's coming !

Bob

keeki
10-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Isn't that real close to a 284 Jarrett or 7-Jarrett?

BobT
10-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Isn't that real close to a 284 Jarrett or 7-Jarrett?

Not familiar with that one.

keeki
10-27-2013, 09:55 AM
The 284jarrett is a 300wm with an Ackley body taper and a 35 degree shoulder necked down to 7mm. I think

chuckhammer
10-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Hey chuckhammer,
Are you getting anywhere with your project? I am going to get rolling again very soon, (I had a brief interlude with the .264WM). I still need to get my hands on some of the LR Accubonds. I also came up with some (16 pounds) of WC867 surplus powder that I want to try with the heavier bullets. I'm going to go with a 28" barrel also I think, and a brake. I still haven't got my chronograph back from PACT but my son-in-law bought one so I have access. I need to tweak my throat design a little for the longer bullets but am waiting on the Accubond to do so.

Let us know how it's coming !

Bob

Just received word my barrel is nearly complete at Criterion. Should ship soon including the PTG finish reamer and go/no-go headspace gauges. Can't wait to install it. I need some red dot for no-bullet fire forming. And a stock. Then I'm in business.

Hoping for 3300+ with Berger 180 Hybrids from the 28" tube and Reloader-33 lit off by Tula LR mag primers. :cool: