PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis package scope

Pages : 1 2 [3]

greybeard43
10-04-2013, 03:15 PM
My axis .223 has a 400 dollar scope on it. Gen1 night vision to be exact. Armasight 3x. It is set up for hog hunting at night. Darn fog is hampering me right now, but on a clear night I can keep the bullet holes in a 2 in bull at 100 yards. The light weight of the axis is welcome to me because of the weight of the scope. I happen to like the trigger that is on it as it came out of the box. A lot better than my budget ar-15 which my son uses with the same type of scope. The rifle is used as I intended when I bought it. If I wanted a 2000 dollar bench rest rifle I would have bought one and used a night force scope on it like my neighbor who can consistently put 10 rounds under a quarter at 200 yards. For a hog hunting rifle, the axis is perfect for me.

pisgah
10-04-2013, 03:55 PM
If I wanted a 2000 dollar bench rest rifle I would have bought one and used a night force scope on it like my neighbor who can consistently put 10 rounds under a quarter at 200 yards. For a hog hunting rifle, the axis is perfect for me.

A man after my own heart! Some folks bemoan the Axis stock, trigger, etc., etc. because they are not equal to features on rifles that cost twice as much or more. I have to ask -- what were you wanting to buy? If what you want is a very inexpensive, light, handy, superbly accurate hunting rifle, you'll hardly find better than the Axis. If you are wanting a $1000 rifle, you will be disappointed -- except with the accuracy. In value-per-dollar, they can't be beat.

dirtroad
10-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Hi, I'm pretty new here but thought I'd throw in my .02 of experience. I posted in decisions area a little while back and decided to go with a new axis vs used 11. I got the axis package with bushnel scope mainly because I wanted the stainless barrel and action and I liked the camo pattern, but only the package came in that. I had wanted to get a better scope before deer season, but I figured I'd use the one on there until I saved up a little more.

That scope on my rifle was terrible, I shot two brands of ammo about 10 shots each over 2 days before I wised up and went in the house and grabbed my older winchester 7 mag shot three shots, then I could say ok it's not me. I don't shoot year round and wanted to be sure it wasn't me. When I started getting 14" spacing a I was pretty sure it was the scope. Took it back to the retailer and when he took it out of the mounts and shook it, you could here broken stuff inside, but to look through it, it was fine. The man said well the scope is definitely bad. That was 20 round in 308 caliber and it was junked. They offered me another one or $50 off any other scope. They had a nikon buckmaster with bdc on sale so with an extra 50 off I got it for $139.00, shot yesterday first two shots 3/4" apart. And was easy to zero in from there.

I'm sure there not all bad but I wasn't spending another $25 in ammo and $30 in gas to the store and back, not to mention time and aggravation, to find out if I lucked in to a good one. I haven't had any over $100 scopes before ( all my others are early 1980's Tasco world class and they still work so I use them) but so far I really like the nikon and feel it was well worth the money, definitely the nicest one I've used in my budget/ price range.

Alleycat
10-18-2013, 01:19 PM
I had always said that the package scope was decent. This past weekend we were sighting in our rifles for deer season and after shooting the axis I picked up another rifle with a Nikon Monarch on it and I can't even describe how good it felt to my eye compared to the Bushnell package scope. The Bushnell made me feel like I got smoke in my eyes and the Nikon made me feel like having a smoke...lol
That crappy scope keeps putting them into an inch however...

BTW, I have a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5x10x42 due in any day now....:)

dirtroad
10-19-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm sure you will love the monarc, I really like the buckmaster and yours is a definite step up from that. Glad to here your package scope worked, even if its not the clearest.