PDA

View Full Version : Hand Lapping

Pages : 1 [2]

scope eye
08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
They have all the measurements on there website, I took a chance anyway and it was a no go, and now I know.LOL

Dean

LoneWolf
08-28-2013, 08:44 AM
So if I do decide to hand lap the rings that come with the kit. Do you do anything to treat the metal after the material is removed?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

scope eye
08-28-2013, 08:49 AM
So if I do decide to hand lap the rings that come with the kit. Do you do anything to treat the metal after the material is removed?

Not that I have ever heard of.

Dean

yobuck
08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
well since i now own a scope mount allignment and lapping kit as well as a torque driver ive been checking
all my scopes. now realize that since im very old some of my mounts are of inferior design by todays standards.
ones like weaver, redfield etc. so far ive not lapped any ive checked. theyve all lined up perfectly.

LoneWolf
08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
well since i now own a scope mount allignment and lapping kit as well as a torque driver ive been checking
all my scopes. now realize that since im very old some of my mounts are of inferior design by todays standards.
ones like weaver, redfield etc. so far ive not lapped any ive checked. theyve all lined up perfectly.

I believe most rings will align properly with today's tight machining standards, but they may not provide for maximum ring to scope contact in all cases. I believe that is the main purpose of hand lapping scope rings. I've seen via some research that many company's putting together long range rifles lap the rings when they put together their custom rigs or "accurize" someone's personal rifle. I would not know for sure how much of a performance increase there is, but I bet it makes a difference on heavier recoiling precision rifles.

yobuck
08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
well ive already said that it cant hurt. my point was is it as necessary as we are now led to believe.
i mentioned watching bruce baer install a nightforce on a 338 big baer he had just built for me.
well if your not aware, be aware he is one of the leading long range rifle builders in this country
and has been for quite some time. also be aware that his big baer cartridge is based off the 505
gibbs case. im loading 137 gr of h50bmg behind a 300 gr smk. so i think it qualifies as a heavy recoiling rifle.

stangfish
08-28-2013, 08:59 PM
If I wasn't aware before I am aware now. Man, You know some heavy hitters.

LoneWolf
08-28-2013, 09:11 PM
I would say so.