PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lift kit for new bolts with cocking idicators as well as older style bolts

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

LeeH
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
OH BOY!!!!....Guy's are getting Desperate!!!

BIG GRIN........

Quickshot
02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Dolomite, Thank you for the latest info. Saved me a lot of grief and only cost me a few .38 cases and bearings. I will wait to see how your new idea comes out before tearing things apart. Hey 33050, there's to much snow here to be out at the beach. old 76 guy, Quick

steveinwv
02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
I have a 10FCP-K with the crappiest bolt in the world and I can't wait to try one of these.

dolomite_supafly
02-22-2010, 06:32 PM
It is going to be a while. I still need to get all the feedback from those that are testing. After that I am going to have to work out some sort of way to hand these out fairly.

I do not plan on selling them but I do not plan on going broke handing them out to everyone who owns a Savage either. I am just waiting to see how the testers feel.

Dolomite

jo191145
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Dolomite

Would your bolt lift kit further improve a timed and trued action done at SSS???
Compatable with the Evolution trigger???

If Yes I'd like to beg borrow or buy one ;)
Gonna be running a Sav action in IBS Score shoots this season.
Looking to help it out as much as possible.
Hoping to prove Savage actions can compete.

dolomite_supafly
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Dolomite

Would your bolt lift kit further improve a timed and trued action done at SSS???
Compatable with the Evolution trigger???

If Yes I'd like to beg borrow or buy one ;)
Gonna be running a Sav action in IBS Score shoots this season.
Looking to help it out as much as possible.
Hoping to prove Savage actions can compete.

One of the testers has a T&T'd action so we will see how these work together. I am hoping everyone who was sent one to test posts their results in this (http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,30394.msg217557.html#msg217557) thread.

I have asked all the testers to be honest about their findings so the next batch will be better. I am not going to try to hide or sugar coat anything, if this works then great if not then I don't mind either because I am not doing this for financial gain anyways. So far in speaking with LeeH I have already made one improvement, not to the part itself but to the instructions I enclosed with all the parts.

It will still be a little while before I have the next batch in hand. Once I do have them in hand I will let everyone know.

Thanks for all the interest
Dolomite

Savage Lover
02-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey Dolomite, send me your address and I'll send you money for one of these. I know you said you want to just give them away but I would be more than happy to pay you a very inflated price for one of these to help pay for the next batch or whatever.

Thanks

dolomite_supafly
02-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey Dolomite, send me your address and I'll send you money for one of these. I know you said you want to just give them away but I would be more than happy to pay you a very inflated price for one of these to help pay for the next batch or whatever.

Thanks

Cost isn't my biggest concern, making sure nothing bad can come from using it is my biggest concern. I am not going to take money for anything, especially for something I do not have in hand. I have seen it happen all to often on the internet. People prepay then something happens and I couldn't live with it if something like that did happen.

I will be waiting until I get feedback from all the testers before I send the specs for the next batch. The next batch is pretty much alredy paid for so paying for it isn't the issue right now.

Thanks for all the interest, I know it is slow coming but it is coming. I just want to make sure they are going to be safe.

Dolomite

pdog06
02-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Dolomite, put me on your list if you need anymore testers. I actually have a Stockade lift kit sitting here I didnt put in yet, so if you wanna compare it to that also let me know. I can mail it to you or you can mail me one of yours, doesnt matter.

mike

dolomite_supafly
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Dolomite, put me on your list if you need anymore testers. I actually have a Stockade lift kit sitting here I didnt put in yet, so if you wanna compare it to that also let me know. I can mail it to you or you can mail me one of yours, doesnt matter.

mike

On my particular gun my kit is lighter than the Stockade kit. Not saying you will have the same results but on mine is was lighter.

Thanks
Dolomite

Quickshot
02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Have two mod.12s. One pre accu.trig and one with. Awaiting your test conclusions and anxious to try it. Especially since it requires no modifications to bolt innards. As with others, willing to contribute to the cause. Quick

Moosetracker
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Great deed Dolomite.

I have 3 savages and 9 barrels. I`d love to try one of these as well. Please put me on your list. I`m certainly willing to pay for it when you feel it`s ready.

Moose.

firemachine69
02-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the work to the Savage community, dolomite.

Maybe I'm not very safety-orientated or what-not, but what possible issues could arise with this (or the .38) lift-kit?

dolomite_supafly
02-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the work to the Savage community, dolomite.

Maybe I'm not very safety-orientated or what-not, but what possible issues could arise with this (or the .38) lift-kit?

Some people report a slightly higher bolt lift effort because of the added .075" the kit. This is the reason some say to reduce the length of the BAS or the cocking sleeve by the thickness of the bolt lift kit. Other than that nothing really, this is a well established mod here with penty of positive feedback on it.

Dolomite

Blue Avenger
02-24-2010, 10:55 AM
initial nut shell

1 putting in the 38 style kit with no other change increases firing pin spring pressure, reduces rotating frictional surface area.
2 putting the 38 kit in with appropriate screw length reduction reduces friction. firing pin spring stays the same.
3 putting in the washer kit reduces firing pin spring pressure.

LeeH
02-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the pressure on the firing pin spring
be determined by the round pin on the side of the bolt and it's position
when it is engaged by the sear?.
And if that's the case, the spring pressure when cocked would not change.

PEI Rob
02-24-2010, 08:28 PM
LeeH, if you don't change the sear position, then you are not changing the cocking piece pin location when cocked.
The bolt assembly screw pushes on the cocking piece sleeve and this compresses the firing pin spring. If you change the effective length of the bolt assembly screw you change the firing pin spring preload.
If you adjust the cocking piece, you adjust firing pin travel.
Adjusting firing pin travel changes the amount of firing pin spring compression.

If anyone wants my two cents on this thread, here goes.
Fred gave us his idea of using the 38 case bolt lift kit. It simply works. There is basically zero friction there with this kit.
Fred has warned us many times that consistent ignition is important. Leave the firing pin spring alone, this rifle needs 25lbs of spring pressure.
To lower the lifting effort more than a 38 case kit, you would need a roller cocking piece pin.
If, for some reason, you want the bolt to lower better, break the edge and polish the notch that holds the rear baffle in place.

dolomite_supafly
02-24-2010, 09:19 PM
This setup is not a 38 special case or even remotely based on it. Totally different design that so far seems to work on some rifles. It is still too early to tell but initial reports seem positive.

My version of the 38 special case bolt lift kit uses a pointed setscrew rather than a ball bearing, is one better than the other?, hard to say.

Dolomite

LeeH
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks PEI Rob...
That would be true for the .38 case setup.
BUT I was referring to Dolomites new setup that Blue Avenger referred to.
There are no changes to the spring or cocking piece.
I would leave it to Dolomite disclose any more information as to what it looks like
and how it works.
Kinda like a barrel of worms stuck on a hot plate.

LeeH
02-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks PEI Rob...
That would be true for the .38 case setup.
BUT I was referring to Dolomites new setup that Blue Avenger referred to.
There are no changes to the spring or cocking piece.
I would leave it to Dolomite disclose any more information as to what it looks like
and how it works.
Kinda like a barrel of worms stuck on a hot plate.

Reflecting further, if anything it would reduce the pre load and to my way of thinking
you would still have full spring compression when cocked so possibly something
gained and nothing lost.