PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Cabela's scopes?

n4ue
10-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi. I tried a search and was unsuccessful in finding anything about Cabela's line of scopes.
Look OK on paper, great warranty, price etc.
I wonder if anyone knows who makes them and I'm 'assuming' for the price, they are Chinese. Not necessarily a bad thing. I have a bunch and have been very happy with them (except for a new Weaver Kaspa)......

They kinda look like Nikons.

thoughts?

ron

stomp442
10-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I got a flyer in the mail about these scopes a month or so ago. They are made by meopta. My buddy bought a 30mm tactical 8-32x50 for his 6.5-284. Clarity is excellent but I was very unhappy with the turrets. The turrets would count up to five and then back down to zero so you would have 0 1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2 1 0 all in one revolution. Makes things very confusing when trying to make a drop chart.

n4ue
10-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks! Wow!! Meopta. BIG $ scopes...... I 'assume' it's a Side Focus. right?
For someone (like me) that doesn't do a lot of dialing up and down, they should be fine.
Darn, just when I thought I've bought my 'last' scope......

Right!

ron

yobuck
10-16-2013, 04:36 PM
hey you could always get some gorrila glue and deal with the small stuff. lol

stomp442
10-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Yes it is a side focus and seems to be a nice scope other than the funky turrets. I have researched trying to figure out why the turrets are numbered this way and can't even find anything about anyone else complaining about them.

rjtfroggy
10-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Nrue becareful here, Cabela's used to use 2-3 different scope makers. No one at Cabela's knows or will tell you(you pick).
About ten years ago I thought I was getting a deal buying one of their scopes and a pair of binos, IIRC both for $350, put the scope on my ML after first shot the cross hairs disappeared and the binos I would still have but it was a package and they required both be returned.
I would assume the quality has gone up but they buy by price (just like Walmart) so who knows, they may be Barskas or Center point,or BSA. Then again they could be Leupold,Nikon,Sighttron anyones guess.

n4ue
10-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Thanks Froggy and others.......
I forgot to mention in my other thread, about 'different mfgs' of the same physical scope. Iin that, I was referring to low / low medium, priced scopes with the 'slanted objective' cover. Come on, this cannot (!!) be a re-invention of the wheel here.......
You will see scopes that look identical (with the slanted objective end), from cheap to MUCH higher $.
I have 32 scopes now, with #33 on the way. Nothing high $, I LOVE the underdog!! It's a Nikko Stirling Target Master. We'll see how it plays.
Why did I buy it? Just because some sites say it's the best scope ever, others say it's Chinese junk. I don't care. If I don't like it, I'll send it back. Now pain, no gain.
One thing that is important to remember, is that if a scope is 'airgun rated', it's gonna be tough! I have a Hawke and it's fantastic! My most severe recoiling rifles (varmint - wise), is a pair of 7mm-08s.
I hope to do a 'review' of the Nikko versus a few of the other scopes recently purchased, in the SAME price range, just to see how they compare. Mueller, Redfield, Nikon, etc.
I also believe (being an optics lover from the '60s) that there is a definite point of diminishing returns on optics price / quality.....
I have purchased quite a few Millett LRS-1 and TRS-1 scopes and have them mounted on some accurate varmint rifles and they are FANTASTIC, once you get the correct height Millett rings (free, just ask!!)

ron

Jamie
10-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Only the Euro series are made by Meopta.

n4ue
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks Jamie. Concerning 'reviews' (for what they are worth), the Cabela's do not have a satisfied following. As I was trying to say, looking at 'low-medium' imported scopes, there are a LOT of different makes out there that look identical. Sloping objective end, same exact power ranges, knobs, etc.
So, a lot of the scopes are probably made in the same plant. Is the price difference is due to one of two aspects? :
1. Quality Control
2. Profit

Why do the scopes made in the Phillipines appear to be 'better'? QC or Japanese glass? Better workmanship??

Thanks fer putting up with my rant...

ron

Idahokid
01-18-2014, 09:25 PM
I have a Cabelas Pine Ridge on my rifle.Works ok I guess.They are made in china.Dont get the best reviews but for now it works for me.

sniper15545
01-18-2014, 09:42 PM
My buddy tried on the more expensive Cabela's scope, not sure of model but it was a 4-12x50. It had clear glass however it did not track very well at all, He sent it back and bought the Leupold.