PDA

View Full Version : Looking to take my first deer

Pages : 1 [2]

sniper15545
11-04-2013, 04:34 PM
This is how I do it as well. Not sure where you live but here in Az I hunt the small coues deer. I cut the meat off the bones right there on the mountain throw the meat in some cheap pillow cases wrap them up and throw them in the back pack and head down. Never mess with gutting them out. I'm sure your deer are much bigger than ours though and won't fit in a pack.

Wow you guy's are leaving the fish (under side loins) you have to field dress to get them out there the best cut of meat on a deer.:) Seriously thermaler just do it, You really can't screw it up too bad, Nothing that can't be washed up or fixed buy the butcher. Good luck!!!

thermaler
11-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Wow you guy's are leaving the fish (under side loins) you have to field dress to get them out there the best cut of meat on a deer.:) Seriously thermaler just do it, You really can't screw it up too bad, Nothing that can't be washed up or fixed buy the butcher. Good luck!!!Oh--I've already decided to toss caution to the wind and just go for it--all I have to do now is actually bag a deer. I've been out 4 times now, and only when on approach to my intended site have I seen deer (running away). At times I've been pretty far in--having bush-whacked in a couple of miles over pretty steep terrain and it occured to me that I might have a heck of a time dragging something out in the event I got lucky : ) Stay tuned--most things I start anew turn out to be epics and I'm sure this will be a stellar one LOL.

DgTerrell
11-05-2013, 02:36 AM
This upcoming season will be my second time going deer hunting and I'm in the same boat you are. I've been reading up on field dressing today and watching this video my state's fish and wildlife put on YouTube. The video shows how to field dress, but they offer a DVD you can buy that also shows how to butcher as well. I've heard they have sold a ton of them. As silly as it sounds, if I'm not sure what to do next when field dressing, I plan on pulling my phone out and watching the video lol. Probably will get bashed for that, but if it means saving the meat and not wasting a kill, then make fun all you want!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU&app=m

thermaler
11-05-2013, 04:29 AM
thanks for all the great info guys! : )

thermaler
11-05-2013, 04:30 AM
This upcoming season will be my second time going deer hunting and I'm in the same boat you are. I've been reading up on field dressing today and watching this video my state's fish and wildlife put on YouTube. The video shows how to field dress, but they offer a DVD you can buy that also shows how to butcher as well. I've heard they have sold a ton of them. As silly as it sounds, if I'm not sure what to do next when field dressing, I plan on pulling my phone out and watching the video lol. Probably will get bashed for that, but if it means saving the meat and not wasting a kill, then make fun all you want!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECdaKBbmGnU&app=m My cell often doesn't work when I get "deep into the weeds."

TC260
11-05-2013, 07:49 PM
That's great video tt posted. Just make sure you're read up on local game laws. In most places it's not a problem but on the state lands where I hunt we're allowed to field dress an animal but not remove any external parts (on a buck it's ok to remove his stinger and testicles as part of dressing but no other parts)...edit, looking around on youtube and found this video which is the way I field dress. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCVFkkyQC4 For the saw I use a little straight blade tree pruning saw.

I use a game cart most of the time to retrieve animals but I've heard good reports about these http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/original-deer-sleighr-game-sled.aspx?a=450188 Cheap, light, and make dragging much easier.

cheapshot
11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Please make sure not to cut into the stomach or you will also be cleaning up your vomit! My processor charges $20 to field dress the deer and $15 to cloak it. Best $20 I will ever spend. Not to mention I live in a subdivision and the neighbors would be horrified to see a deer hanging on a gambrel in the back yard! Just get him out of there and to the processor as soon as you can.