PDA

View Full Version : .308 crimping issue

Pages : 1 [2]

stangfish
11-06-2013, 06:48 PM
How are you measuring? The size you state is small. You may need to purchase a larger button.

earl39
11-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Guys. (mike, mike, mike.... What day is it?!!!!)

Ok, cleaned up some brass last night and started over on resetting everything on the FL decapping die. (only) -1 step at a time.

Made sure the case being worked on was going ALL the way into the die. (PITA)
In doing so, I had to make sure the case is very lubed. (almost wet)
but it goes all the way now. If I go too far, it wrinkles the shoulder and the case will not chamber. (had to kill 3 cases b4 getting it set right)

The inside diameter of the neck measures .302.5 now.
I picked up a brand new case guage, some cases were over in length and some close and some good to go (GTG).

I need to trim them down now and set the seating die next.

Thanks ALL for the greeat information to get me thinking.
it's a reloader, how much "could" go wrong? :p
(I know, if you can think it, it will screw up)

Now you have the die set to deep. Back out and start again. .3025 means you are up into the built in crimp. You should have a sized brass with somewhere around .305-.3065 as a neck ID.

Elkbane
11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Cliff,
You have to get this right before you proceed. If you are getting crinkled shoulders, you have lube built up inside your die. Those are hydraulic dents caused by lube. Remove the decapping stem and clean inside of die. I heartily recommend Imperial die wax; just swipe a little on the side of the case and a little inside the neck with a qtip, then roll the case on your lube pad to spread it out. You should NEVER have lube on the shoulder of the case. After sizing, wipe off the outside with a shop rag and wipe the inside of the case neck clean with a qtip.

Some dies come with an undersized button that just holds the decapping pin AND a button that expands the neck on exit. If your measurements are correct I'm guessing you don't have the expander button installed. You can tell by measuring the OD of the button - it should be about .306-.307 OD. That will expand your necks when the case exits the die. Your current measurement, if it's correct, is too tight. It will make bullet seating difficult and may even collapse the shoulder or scar the bullet while seating.

You're doing right asking questions - keep at it and you;ll get it right.
ELkbane

pitsnipe
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Cliff,
You have to get this right before you proceed. If you are getting crinkled shoulders, you have lube built up inside your die. Those are hydraulic dents caused by lube. Remove the decapping stem and clean inside of die. I heartily recommend Imperial die wax; just swipe a little on the side of the case and a little inside the neck with a qtip, then roll the case on your lube pad to spread it out. You should NEVER have lube on the shoulder of the case. After sizing, wipe off the outside with a shop rag and wipe the inside of the case neck clean with a qtip.

Some dies come with an undersized button that just holds the decapping pin AND a button that expands the neck on exit. If your measurements are correct I'm guessing you don't have the expander button installed. You can tell by measuring the OD of the button - it should be about .306-.307 OD. That will expand your necks when the case exits the die. Your current measurement, if it's correct, is too tight. It will make bullet seating difficult and may even collapse the shoulder or scar the bullet while seating.

You're doing right asking questions - keep at it and you;ll get it right.
ELkbane

EXCELLENT advice. The expander ball on my NECK sizing/de-priming die is .306.5. A tension/neck ID I have found to be ideal. Any more, I run new brass through the ball ONLY to establish a consistent neck tension/ID. It has made all the difference in accuracy. Consistent accuracy that is.

Snipe

aka:Cliff
11-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks guys, I am tracking.

I agree about the button size and tightness of it.

Case depth in the die too far? How do I get it sized proper near the base?
I understand b/c I also have a neck only die too, it may not matter.

Let me measure the neck ID after the button is run through it.
I don't remember if I used the button or not on this last batch. (not enuff coffe yet)
I just cleaned them up a bit in the media tumbler so I have a decent starting point. - A CLEAN CASE !

=)