PDA

View Full Version : New hunting rifle!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

handirifle
11-10-2013, 02:42 AM
Given the criteria you mentioned, personally I would stick with the 7mm. Reason being you know the round very well already and that means a LOT for long range anything. As for barrel, I'd look for a magnum contour or light varmint, and have it fluted to give it a sporter weight or similar. Since you want it light, I think 24" would be my limit on length. All that said, this will probably end up being an 8lb rifle anyway. A blind mag rifle will be slightly lighter than detachable mag.

As for CF or SF I would just look for the stock you like and see what they make them for. Some companies are just gearing up to the CF stocks.

Scope and rings can make a big difference in weight as well. Good optics do not have to be heavy.

bajeep93
11-10-2013, 03:18 AM
I like the nightforce

thermaler
11-10-2013, 06:49 AM
I am not looking at really hunting any farther. There is just things I would like to modify. Like trigger, stock, scope bases. Things like this. There is basically no aftermarket support for the ruger. I would like to put a break on it. The ruger is a lightweight module and kicks the **** out of me if I take it out and try to do more than a few rounds. And I like building guns and tinkering with them. I just finished up a 300 blk ar15 and my tax stamp for my can will not be here for a few more months.The sorta nice thing about working the savage synthetics is that they are so crappy to begin with you don't have to worry about messing them up. : ) You can never get them completely rigid like a bedded wood stock--but certainly good enough for shooting off of bags or a bipod; though I personally don't lug a bipod around in the woods. I'm an AR guy too, BTW--I built a 6.8 spc carbine out of stag and RR parts for pretty cheap; I'm not sold on the 300 blk viability--but to each their own.

yobuck
11-10-2013, 09:49 AM
the problem you going to have is distance. right now your saying your not interested in shooting
any further that you have been. but that will change very abruptly. you will be hiking in a long
way and no doubt be hunting from vantage points you can glass from. its only a matter of time till something
shows up beyond your rifles ability. a 7stw would be the minimum id be thinking about for what your contemplating.
like it or not you will be in the 10 to 12 lb class for a suitable gun. be thinking more about the hunting part and less
about the shooting part. if glassing is the plan be very concerned about your glasses. for long periods of glassing a tripod
is a must have. if you dont believe that look at your watch then start glassing with hand held glasses. when your arms get weary
look again at your watch. you probably wont last 5 minits till your done hunting. get a good folding saw for the branches and brush
that are sure to be troublesome. keep it in your good eberlestock or equal pack which will also have a scabbard for your rifle.
also get a bipod to shoot from with leg notches.

Three44s
11-10-2013, 11:28 AM
You won't find a better rifle than the Savage for lots of choices with the exception of the Rem. 700.

But when you factor in barrel changes ...... it's Savage hands down ........ as you well know.

It certainly would not hurt to try your hand at working over a tuppeware stock. The Axis article on this web site is good.

Best regards

Three 44s

GaCop
11-11-2013, 12:11 PM
What I would do is build off a savage action centerfeed as they feed quite nicely.I would call Jim Briggs at Northland shooters supply and he will guide you through your build as we will too. His number is :1-419-695-3179 or 1-762-682-4296. He has everything from new reciver;s to stocks to barrels etc etc etc etc . EXCELLENT advice!

bajeep93
11-12-2013, 11:52 PM
I found a nice slightly used 110 in 7mm. It looks to be in really good shape. It has the savage wood stock on it. Are these stocks any good to modify. Can they be bedded and free floated or is that not possible. The price is $275. Thanks Brian

big honkin jeep
11-13-2013, 12:10 AM
It should already be free floated. Yes the wood stocks can be bedded. For me a hunting rig means synthetic especially at longer ranges, Wood is sensitive to changes in Temperature and moisture. You could probably Find a factory synthetic in the classifieds here for around $40 if that's the route you choose. Also lots of other good factory and aftermarket items of all kinds priced right.

sortafast
11-13-2013, 12:14 AM
$275 is not a bad deal. The wood stock could probably be used. Bedding and pillars aren't that hard to do (says the guy that has never done one, but I have done enough epoxy/fiberglass/carbon fiber work to know it ain't hard, its just all in the prep). Free floating a barrel is super easy. Just need a rod or 2 about the size of the channel maybe one smaller and one larger. Then just get some varying degrees of sand paper. Wrap the rod in the sand paper and get after it. once you have good clearance with the really rough stuff, go down on the grit until the surface is smooth. Then get some tung oil (I use the Fromby's stuff at the hardware store) and throw on a few coats on and you should be good to go. Only thing I do is to check the clearance with a dollar with a small amount of weight on the barrel when it is resting on a bag or something. This way you can make sure that if the stock flexes you will still have good clearance.

bajeep93
11-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Well I do not have a rifle yet but I did order one of these to start things off. I have read really good things about these scopes. It is a littler heavier then I would have liked but I think it was a good deal and will work out good. Hopefully my link works
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE800370

bajeep93
11-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Well I picked up a gun today. Not exactly what I was after but I could not be happier and I think I got a screaming deal. It is a savage fcns 300 win mag. It is three months old and had 38 rounds threw it. I got the rifle that looks new. Got 72 rounds ammo and the 38 fired brass. A nice sling and decent bipod for $375. I could not pass it up. Now I just need to figure out what rings and base to go with. I am liking the looks and reviews from the seekins precision stuff. Any thoughts? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/29/emydebu7.jpg

bajeep93
01-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Just got the gun back from the smith. Had him install a muzzle break. It turned out great! I have most of the rest of the parts to finish it uphttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/17/vepu7ubu.jpg
This weekend I am headed down to a friends place to get a set of rings. This is a newer company that is making great products. If you have not checked out there products you should. Quality is there number one priority. Here is a link
http://killer-innovations.com/?page_id=78

thermaler
01-17-2014, 01:26 AM
Very nice! Great price, too. Now you'll go broke reloading for it LOL

bajeep93
01-17-2014, 01:35 AM
I wish!! I can't find much for reloading supplies. I have been trying to figure out what bullet to shoot out of it. The mag is short and I can not get the bullet I was going to use close to the lands. The 180 gr accubond the closest I can get is .05. I tried a Berger vld 185gr and it is no better at .065. The Sierra match king 190 fits in the mag and is .005 from the lands. The plan now is to try a 200gr Sierra game king. Just need to find one to try in the chamber. If anyone has one they could mail me I would appreciate it.

thermaler
01-17-2014, 01:47 AM
I wish!! I can't find much for reloading supplies. I have been trying to figure out what bullet to shoot out of it. The mag is short and I can not get the bullet I was going to use close to the lands. The 180 gr accubond the closest I can get is .05. I tried a Berger vld 185gr and it is no better at .065. The Sierra match king 190 fits in the mag and is .005 from the lands. The plan now is to try a 200gr Sierra game king. Just need to find one to try in the chamber. If anyone has one they could mail me I would appreciate it.Interesting--what is the COL that your mag allows? I have to admit my loads are pretty darn close to the lands but still have room to spare in the mag on my 111. The belted head space thing is the measurement I have to watch out for. I do 175/180 gr cause I can also use it in my 308 win axis which seems to like it as well.

bajeep93
01-17-2014, 01:51 AM

thermaler
01-17-2014, 02:03 AM
My latest batch fits with room to spare and is 3.517 in my 111 hunter. (sorry, mis-measured on first and second go!)

bajeep93
01-17-2014, 02:06 AM
What bullet are you loading in it?

thermaler
01-17-2014, 02:41 AM
What bullet are you loading in it?I have two batches I just loaded that are close to lands--around .01/.02 jump but should fit easily even in your magazine.

The first batch is 180 gr nosler ballistic tip (RL22) which I measured a CBTO of about 2.891 with a .02 jump.

The second batch is barnes 175 LRX (IMR 4831) which I initially loaded to a CBTO of 2.894 with a jump of .01 but had to later seat it a bit deeper so that the COAL was 3.45. I also found that I needed to taper crimp the bullets as they seemed to "creep" a bit.

Both cartridges are under the COAL allowed by the mag.

I'm new to this caliber and am finding it's trickier to load than any others I've done and am still getting used to it. On my first attempt with a comparator and modified case I got a measurement that did not seem to work with the once-fired cases I eventually loaded when I first chambered the round.

big honkin jeep
01-17-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm very surprised that you are finding that much freebore on a Savage. I have a pretty decent collection of Savages that I handload for and have never had any trouble reaching the lands with magazine length cartridges.
I have a couple of Remingtons that have way too much freebore and that's one of the things I don't like about the 700s.
I hope it works out for you.