PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Powder?

Pages : 1 [2]

chukarmandoo
11-21-2013, 02:12 PM
I have been messing around with the LPPM. I heard a lot of talk about the baffles and understood the concept but couldn't find them or understand how to make them. Know I know. Thanks Bill!

I have been throwing charges (H4350) knowing full well that it is undesirable to use this powder by some but I have a little method that seems to work very good.

Today I'm headed to the range to sight in the rifle since I just remounted the scope using a different rail. I will sight in with my old load today. I can only shoot 100 yds. today.Anyway I have loaded 12 rounds with a new,to me, method of load development. One round for each load. Increasing the charge by .5 grs. till I over max by a couple grs. This method is meant to shoot at distance, at least 300 with 600 being better and 1000 the best.
I'll be leaving for eastern Oregon Saturday for 8 days of hunting the "devil Birds" on BLM land . I'll only be able to run the pups one day and give them a day off, the country just beats them up so bad if I run them to many days in a row. So this will give me a chance to shoot to whatever distance I want and try this method and get in some good varmint hunting. Hope to kill another cougar this year.

Windy! Sorry.

darkker
11-23-2013, 01:27 AM
The first throw will be heavier and consequently of greater volume than the second one.

Absolutely not true! The volume will never change, the number of kernels may, but it is irrelevant.
The whole point of volume is to NOT care if the weight changes. When weight changes, it is because of more or less bulk density (also said, energy; due to the specific gravity in the nitrocellulose). The geometry of the individual kernels is therefore appropriately different; to control the burn rate. The ONLY way for the volume to be different, is if you move the adjuster; no other way.

Go buy a pound of whole wheat flour, get a 1/2 cup measurer out. Fill it and level it with a ruler. Do that until the bag is empty, weighing each 1/2 cup. They will ALL weigh slightly differently. Did the volume change, because the weight did?? No, a half cup is a half cup, is a half cup.
Volume and weight are not the same thing.

TC260
11-23-2013, 11:24 AM
The first throw will be heavier and consequently of greater volume than the second one.

Absolutely not true! The volume will never change, the number of kernels may, but it is irrelevant.

Relax, you're both right. He's referring to the volume of actual powder and you're referring to the volume of the of chamber in the dispenser.

MacDR
11-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks TC260. That is exactly what I meant. I can see I should have expressed it more clearly.

I guess the natural segway to this discussion is drop tubes but I will leave that for those that use them on a regular basis.

BTW I have a design for a powder baffle that was sent to me by a member on another forum. If anyone wants a copy PM me.