PDA

View Full Version : What length and weight bullets for the 9.25 twist barrel in the .243 Win?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

shawnhu
12-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Yup, I would say that they found a winner with this twist and hope they stick with it for years to come. As to Savage making a change around the water cooler, you may be surprised. A couple of years back Savage decided to change all of the 7-08 barrels over to an 1-11" twist. Not really sure why they did it, but they did. People seemed as whole to hat the slower twist as they couldn't seem to get much over 130gr to stabilize. Well I would say that the shooting community spoke out, and probably their sales did too, because Savage switched back to the faster twist (1-9" IIRC) and now everyone is happy.

The one thing I have discovered with barrels of any maker, is that there seem to be two types. Barrels that shoot many different bullets well, and barrels that only shoot a couple of bullets well. I have had 3 different Savage 243 barrels all with the 9.25 twist and all 3 shot the 100gr Sierra SPT's MOA or better. The one I have that was rechambered to 243AI shoots them 1/2 MOA, but seems to hate the Remington Core-Lok bullets in the same weight. My advice is try another brand of bullet or drop down to a 95gr bullet like the SST for example and see how it does. Another thing to consider in your case is you say you have the 11LWH which has a very skinny barrel and will be influenced a great deal by barrel heat, and also let it get a bit dirty and don't over-clean as Savage barrels like it a bit dirty.

Boots,
Thanks for the insight. I'm not a reloader(yet) so I don't have access to the vast majority of bullets and different loads as the reloader a do. This far, I have placed several orders for ammo in just .243 alone, summing up to no less than $250 in total. IMO, that's a lot of $ to just try different ammo out to see which this gun will like.

As of now, I've got on hand mostly heavier rounds(before discovering the 70gr Nosler recommendation). All 95gr and up. I have since placed an order for the 70gr Savage recommends, but I won't see it for another 3-4 weeks.

I did notice the barrel is very thin, and does get hot fast. I alternate between 3-shot groups with it and my 93r17(both new). I'll shoot 3 with the 11LWH then 10-20 on the 93r17.

I'll remember to leave the barrel a bit dirty from now, as I've been scrubbing it with 10-15 patches every cleaning.

shawnhu
12-15-2013, 12:47 AM
shawnhu, before you get too discouraged, do as suggested and play around with a few different brands and weights. If you are a reloader, let me know and I'll share a good recipe for 100 grain Sierra ProHunters with you that really works well in my 9.25 twist. As pointed out, though, some barrels like some recipes; some don't. But this particular load might be a place to start, and it has worked in both my and my son's Savages.

Mike, thanks for the words of encouragement, and thanks for the generous offer to share your recipe. However, I currently don't reload, as I'm in an apartment that just don't have the room for such a setup. I'm an air gunner, and retired paintballer, so I naturally love to tinker with guns and velocities. Tuning paintball guns and airguns is lots of fun, but I have yet to dive into the world of reloading. I'd love to try some of these loads you speak of if given the opportunity, however.

mikein
12-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Shawn, 99% of the time a new Savage of any caliber will outshoot the competition, so take heart in the fact that you have a good, solid, dependable platform. Now you just need to find out what load makes your new baby sing the best! Just because the Nosler 70 grainer is recommended does not, in any way, mean that it's the only one that will work well in your rifle. And, since it has the thin, "sporter" barrel, it will heat up rapidly, and your tactic of giving it a bit of a rest between groups is an excellent one. Make sure that the barrel cools to the point where you can comfortably grasp it with your bare hand before firing your next group, even if that means firing 2 or 3 groups with your 93r17 before going back to the 11.

mikein
01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I finally located a box of 70 Nosler BT's and, between winter weather watches, have created loads for them with 3 different powders: Varget, I 4064, and I 8208. I have started with what one of my software programs says is the "optimal" load of powder for each one, Winchester primers and once-fired brass, and seating all bullets to a COL of 2.71. All three loads produced results that can only be described as "underwhelming." Nosler claimed that Varget was their most accurate powder when they did their testing, but they use a 1:10 twist and bit longer barrel than I have. The 4064 looks the most promising, with 5 shot groups of 1 1/8th", CTC. I'll focus on it and share the results once the Artic Vortex returns to the Artic!

shawnhu
01-07-2014, 04:39 PM
I finally located a box of 70 Nosler BT's and, between winter weather watches, have created loads for them with 3 different powders: Varget, I 4064, and I 8208. I have started with what one of my software programs says is the "optimal" load of powder for each one, Winchester primers and once-fired brass, and seating all bullets to a COL of 2.71. All three loads produced results that can only be described as "underwhelming." Nosler claimed that Varget was their most accurate powder when they did their testing, but they use a 1:10 twist and bit longer barrel than I have. The 4064 looks the most promising, with 5 shot groups of 1 1/8th", CTC. I'll focus on it and share the results once the Artic Vortex returns to the Artic!

Thanks for the update Mike, Cabelas canceled my order of the Federal 70gr Nosler, I can't even test my rife with the ammo Savage uses!

mikein
01-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Yeah, shawnhu, the ammo market is still a bit of a mess. As is the components market! This too will pass. I keep telling myself. . .

shawnhu
01-09-2014, 10:39 PM

Mike, I've been studying the charts and also came across this data from Nosler. It looks to me Varget, H380, I4895 and I4350 might be the ticket. How long is your barrel?

Also, I think I sent you a PM, but maybe you didn't receive it?

mikein
01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
shawnhu, the barrel length on my .243 is 22 inches. So far, I-4064 continues to be my best powder for this bullet, and I'm now starting to work on COL to see if I can tighten things up a bit.

shawnhu
01-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Well, there's no turning back now. Bought some powder and primers locally, and just placed an order for press and dies and do dads.

Anyone want to share some recipes?

mikein
01-12-2014, 05:22 PM
shawnhu, here's my best recipes with the heavier bullets. I'm still working on the 70 grain NoslerBT and will share that with you once I get a load worked up that I like.

All Winchester brass; and each of these loads are producing sub-MOA groups out of my rifle
Nosler 95 grain Partition; Fed. Match Primers; 39.5 g of I 4350
Nosler 95 grain BT; Winchester LR Primers; 44.0 grains of H 4831SC
Hornady 95 grain SST; Fed. Match Primers; 41.0 g of I 4350
Sierra 100 grain Spitzer; Fed. Match Primers; 36.2 grains of I 4064

As I'm sure you've noted from reading this thread, always start at least 10% below ANY published recipe, and work up a few tenths of a grain at a time, watching carefully for pressure signs with each new, untried load of powder.

mikein
01-19-2014, 09:12 PM
shawnhu, here's one of today's targets. From the bench, 100 yards, 95 grain Nosler, I 4064, 5 shots. I called the flier; bad technique on my part.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/mikein_bucket/4064.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/mikein_bucket/media/4064.jpg.html)

And here's the second target, using H 4831SC with the same bullet.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/mikein_bucket/4831.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/mikein_bucket/media/4831.jpg.html)

shawnhu
01-19-2014, 09:30 PM
I'd say that's under 1/2 MOA if I say so myself! Impressive! This is the BT or partition? I can't find either nor that powder around.

mikein
01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Shawnhu, the bullets are Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip, catalog number 24095.

shawnhu
01-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Shawnhu, the bullets are Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tip, catalog number 24095.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those. I have a couple boxes of the AccuBond 90gr that I've loaded a few rounds for using H4350. Can't wait to hit the range and see how they do.

mikein
01-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Be sure to let us know your range results. Also, don't be discouraged if this first attempt isn't real great. It sometimes takes many different load combinations to find "just the one" that your rifle likes!

shawnhu
01-30-2014, 04:47 AM
I shot a variety of Hornady 100gr, Nosler 55gr and 90gr with the best group being the Nosler 90 so far. Although only 2 shots, it was under .5" @ 100 yards. I've loaded 5 more with the same recipe, hoping to repeat those groups.

mikein
01-30-2014, 09:54 AM
That's a good start, shawnhu. It takes patience, persistence, and a bunch of well-focused work at the reloading bench and at the range to develop the loads you want! Keep after it!!

shawnhu
01-31-2014, 06:55 PM
Found some Varget today, now I just need some bullets!