PDA

View Full Version : Scope questions

Pages : 1 [2] 3

txbdyguard
12-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Vortex HS

Stockrex
12-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Lesson with a variable power scope is ALWAYS set it on the lowest power when your woods hunting. (Varmint hunting is a different matter) If you find your quarry (usually big game) is "out there", usually you will have time to adjust your scope power up as if the big game animal is that far away, normally the animal hasn't detected you yet.

Stockrex, I dunno what brand of scope your buddy was using, but I've practiced many times with my VX-3 on a quick pull up at 20 to 40 yards to acquire a big game target with both eyes open, and I haven't found it difficult with the VX-3, when set on 8X. (My lowest setting on my 8-25X-50MM.

Dave

Dave you correct, it is not difficult to acquire a target with a good quality scope with generous exit pupil and well aligned cheek weld. My buddy had 20 plus year old scope on his 06, not sure of the brand.
VX-3, I have only one and I love the exit pupil, I am going to put it on my 6.5x55 cz

davemuzz
12-13-2013, 11:04 PM
VX-3, I have only one and I love the exit pupil, I am going to put it on my 6.5x55 cz

I would say that's a good choice.

Dave

Maxxwell86
12-15-2013, 07:15 PM
+1 on the SWFA 10x42 fixed Super Sniper. Got one on my 30-06 and it is plenty of magnification for 600. Mine was only $200 slightly used.

Jimmy21
12-15-2013, 10:18 PM
depends on what you want and how big your budget is

Some good options would be
$300 swfa super sniper in either 6x or 10x
$700 swfa super sniper in 3x-15x variable first focal plane

if second focal plane is ok with you then there are cheaper options for variable and if you have a larger budget there are better options

Mike220
12-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Second fp will work but It will only range on one power setting. Your on the right track with mil/mil. Learn It and never look back

soutthpaw
12-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I just ordered the primary arms FFP scope https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm after another member recommended it on on of my threads. I have never used a FFP or mil/mil scope so it was cheap enough with lots of good reviews that I figured i'd give it a try and learn the Mrad thing. Seems I could easily resell later for most of what I paid. Makes more sens to spend a <$250 to find out if I like it rather than $750+ being that i am new to the world of scopes..

bflee
12-16-2013, 09:48 PM
I was thinking about a set power scope but I don't really know what would be best. If I am hunting with this rifle it will be long range ( 200-600) field hunting, low end for deer and high end varmint/predator. I have never shot at deer over 300 many times. I prefer a "sure" shot.
On the predators and varmints I don't care so much.
What set power would be best for this? 12 or so? I have a 9 power Leupold right now but it's not mil dot and seems a little weak to me for accurate long range past 300-400. I guess some people use 10 power for long range and it works. I just want something I can target shoot and hunt long range with as that is what I bought the 6.5 for. I have a 20" 308 with a 1-4x32 for the short range hunting and it works great for quick acquisition in cut downs.

stangfish
12-16-2013, 10:26 PM
200-600 10 or 16X

Jimmy21
12-16-2013, 10:48 PM
There is s HUGE difference between deer at 200 yards and a gopher at 600. I'd say get a variable

bflee
12-16-2013, 10:49 PM
We don't have any gophers. Varmints would be bobcat and coyote.

Mike220
12-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Most of you are probably going to be disapointed trying to make hits at 600 yards with factory ammo. To be consistent at those ranges you just about have to get Into reloading. See a few commenting on the first vs second focal plane. You should learn the milliradian system so that you can range with It. First focal allows you to accurately range at any magnification, second the subtentions are only accurate on one power setting. Both are useless to you If you dont understand how It works. Folks that end up using thier mil scopes as a bdc rericle really are missing out. Please forgive my spelling. FN PHONE

bflee
12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
I reload already for my 308 and 223. I don't have the 6.5 dies just yet.
My wife has to get over the sticker shock of the rifle first!
I understand the mil system but I have never had a mil scope. It's pretty simply but will take a while to apply successfully I am sure. I was also thinking about fixed power to do away with the ffp and sfp issue. They are more in my budget also.
I have read somewhere guys are competing with factory 6.5 ammo although I don't know how effective they are. I know reloading really helped my 308 groups.

Mike220
12-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Most of you are going to be disapointed trying to make consistent hits on small targets at 600 yards with factory ammo. Reloading Is almost a must. Also I see questions about sfp vs ffp. You can range targets on any magnification with ffp where sfp the subtentions are only accurate on one power setting. Outside of that the milliradian system works the same for either. Both are useless If you cant use the system. Folks that end up trying to use thier mil reticle scopes for a bdc only are really missing out.

Mike220
12-17-2013, 09:46 AM
I need a new phone. Didnt mean to post twice! Pos phone! What load are you running through your. 308

yobuck
12-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Most of you are going to be disapointed trying to make consistent hits on small targets at 600 yards with factory ammo. Reloading Is almost a must. Also I see questions about sfp vs ffp. You can range targets on any magnification with ffp where sfp the subtentions are only accurate on one power setting. Outside of that the milliradian system works the same for either. Both are useless If you cant use the system. Folks that end up trying to use thier mil reticle scopes for a bdc only are really missing out.

would that include folks who use rangefinders?

Mike220
12-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I have never owned one. Would like to tho. Its just nice to know that If your range finder takes a ****, you still have the skill set to make the kill.

Mike220
12-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Accurate ranging Is only half the battle. Means very little If you do not know your load. Example I have a 300 yard zero on my 308. IF i range a target out to 1000 yards. My load has over 350 inches of drop. Good luck trying to hold over and make that shot. Theres a whole lot that goes into long range shooting.

soutthpaw
12-17-2013, 10:20 AM

There's and app for that! heh...

Mike220
12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Check out jbm calcs, its not bad. Most mil based scopes only have 5 mils showing on the reticle for windage and elevation as Is the case with my mark 4 ERT ffp tmr reticle. I have 10.2 mils of drop on my 1000 yard shot. So with only five showing on the reticle It would be impossible to hold over for that shot. With my 300 yard zero doping the scope Is my only option