PDA

View Full Version : Scope questions

Pages : 1 2 [3]

yobuck
12-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Check out jbm calcs, its not bad. Most mil based scopes only have 5 mils showing on the reticle for windage and elevation as Is the case with my mark 4 ERT ffp tmr reticle. I have 10.2 mils of drop on my 1000 yard shot. So with only five showing on the reticle It would be impossible to hold over for that shot. With my 300 yard zero doping the scope Is my only option

actualy its not your only option. youve just convinced yourself that it is.
people have been shooting 308s at 1000 yd targets long before mil mil was ever thought of.
(ANY) scope with enough elevation adjustment can be used. tapered bases can be used to add
to the ammount of elevation on hand for dialing.
of coarse you must know the distance in order to make the shot. you can attempt to do that with a simple dot reticle
also and theve been around for eons. are they perfectly accurate? no there not and neither is any other reticle including yours.
if you want to range accuratly get a rangefinder. while your at it get a good one because most arent.
most guys i know dont even care what the mildot spacings are. they are used as a reference point only for a holdover
on the next shot. used to be we would just dial over to the hit and sometimes still do that.
seems to me were complicating the uncomplicated in order to make us appear smarter and better than we really are.

Mike220
12-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Im simply tryin to explain that you can use your reticle as another tool for better shooting experience. He showed interest in mil based scopes and I was encouraging that. Not to show "how" smart I am but how easy It Is to learn and put to use In the field. And yes wirh my 300 yard zero on my rifle doping the scope Is the only option I have If I actually expect to hit my target. IF I have a zero that falls wirhin my reticles available hold over for that yardage then yes holding over is just as accurate. Your still going to have to know the trajectory of your load to get on target. Didnt mean to hurt anybodys feelings here. Let me go into further detail.. speaking of the 1000 yard shot example I gave. The amount of hold over I need exceeds the five mils my scopes reticle has. Theres nothing left to hold over with so I go to the turrets. Wanted to clear that up before somebody runs wirh It