PDA

View Full Version : Difficult closing bolt on some brass

Pages : 1 [2]

MacDR
12-14-2013, 10:47 AM
I size all my rifle cases so there is a slight resistance to lock up/bolt closure. I believe this extends case life and adds to accuracy. If you prefer a looser fit then here is my advice.

Assuming you have given the dies an extra 1/2 turn after they are adjusted to touch the shell holder, the fact that all three dies result in this problem tends to point to a rifle chamber issue. Give the chamber a very thorough clean. It is amazing how much crud can build up in a chamber over time. Don't assume that the chamber is okay just because factory loads chamber without problems. My experience is that factory loads tend to be smaller overall. If the cleaning doesn't do the trick then, as you mention that a fired case fits okay, you can adjust the Lee collet die to just touch the shoulder. This will leave the case fitted to your chamber and will only resize the neck. There is one other possibility that comes to mind although less likely. Are cases in your shellholder really loose vertically? It is possible that the slot is cut too deep and the cases are not fully entering the die as a result.

stangfish
12-14-2013, 11:22 AM
There is one other possibility that comes to mind although less likely. Are cases in your shellholder really loose vertically? It is possible that the slot is cut too deep and the cases are not fully entering the die as a result.
I had given ths a thought as well. Currently he is working on a way to measure his cases. In the scenario Mac talks about a thin shim may help.

DT400
12-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks all for your help.
Between Stangfish's help and MacDR mentioning press flex I was able to come to some conclusions.

1) COAL gauge that measures on the ogive will work for measuring neck set back if you use a larger die...I used a .30 cal ogive die on the 22-250 case and worked beautifully.
2) Even a full frame (not C ) press will find some flex, maybe not in the frame but somewhere in the mechanics it did flex. Once I realized this and turned the die in and started measuring neck setback I was on my way.

I have it all working very smoothly at this point.
I still am not sure why the bolt became tough to close after only doing a neck or collet size...My thought it that the cases were always too long from before I fired them from this gun and never shrunk back SO I "think" that now that the cases are slightly shorter att he neck than required then once fire formed in this guns chamber I might be able to just neck or collet size.
We shall see after I can fire a few more rounds if I can get away without FL sizing.

Thanks all for the help...it all made me think the issue through beyond what the naked eye could see.

Darrell