PDA

View Full Version : Are BSA good quality scores

Pages : 1 [2]

thomae
12-31-2013, 09:35 AM
2. Get this thread back on topic. :focus:

psharon97
12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
It depends on the application that you plan on using the scope. For the average hunter it will do the job. The average hunter has no need to dial in for windage and elevation, nor does he need extreme magnification to take game.

For longer range shooting where one needs extreme consistency in dialing in targets, clarity at higher magnification ranges, needs a higher level of rigidity, than no a BSA scope will not cut the grade.

However, these scopes that are designed for longer range shooting do not work too well for hunting applications. Scopes are designed to do certain jobs. Get the scope for the intended application.

Stockrex
12-31-2013, 10:14 AM
I have 2 bsa scopes I received as bonus items from grafs.
I did not even take them out of their boxes.
But when I got them I remember reading the reviews:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-bsa-rifle-scopes.html

you be the judge.

yobuck
12-31-2013, 10:57 AM
It depends on the application that you plan on using the scope. For the average hunter it will do the job. The average hunter has no need to dial in for windage and elevation, nor does he need extreme magnification to take game.

For longer range shooting where one needs extreme consistency in dialing in targets, clarity at higher magnification ranges, needs a higher level of rigidity, than no a BSA scope will not cut the grade.

However, these scopes that are designed for longer range shooting do not work too well for hunting applications. Scopes are designed to do certain jobs. Get the scope for the intended application.

well for the (average) hunter who may only get a few days each year for hunting.
my advise would be have no scope rather than a poor one.
many years back say the early 50s there were very few scopes on hunting rifles.
many of those who had them like me for example didnt completly trust them.
techknowledgy being what it was then you couldnt always depend on seeing thru the things.
fogging when taken from a warm to a cold enviornment was fairly common.
moisture penetration was another problem. for that reason many hunters used mounts that would
allow for the use of the factory sights or an add on receiver sight as i did. there were various types
of mounts for that purpose. with some the scope could easily be removed completly leaving just the
iorn sights. on others you could look under or thru the mount itself for using the iorn sights.
of coarse for many years now techknowledgy has advanced to where fogging and moisture penetration
are rarly seen at least on the better quality scopes. i personaly think inexpensive scopes end up being
more expensive in the long run. due to the fact you will eventually have a drawer full you cant unload.
but thats simply an opinion. i say buy what you think best for your circumstances. but it might be wise
to check out some of those mounts i mentioned. a few days isnt much time when the next few are a year away.

Stockrex
12-31-2013, 11:47 AM
well for the (average) hunter who may only get a few days each year for hunting.
my advise would be have no scope rather than a poor one.
many years back say the early 50s there were very few scopes on hunting rifles.
many of those who had them like me for example didnt completly trust them.
techknowledgy being what it was then you couldnt always depend on seeing thru the things.
fogging when taken from a warm to a cold enviornment was fairly common.
moisture penetration was another problem. for that reason many hunters used mounts that would
allow for the use of the factory sights or an add on receiver sight as i did. there were various types
of mounts for that purpose. with some the scope could easily be removed completly leaving just the
iorn sights. on others you could look under or thru the mount itself for using the iorn sights.
of coarse for many years now techknowledgy has advanced to where fogging and moisture penetration
are rarly seen at least on the better quality scopes. i personaly think inexpensive scopes end up being
more expensive in the long run. due to the fact you will eventually have a drawer full you cant unload.
but thats simply an opinion. i say buy what you think best for your circumstances. but it might be wise
to check out some of those mounts i mentioned. a few days isnt much time when the next few are a year away.

Amen! well said, I follow a very simple rule for most things in life: favor the best of breed!
I use Nikon Monarch BDC on my hunting rifles, they were 319$ and I bought them for $200s on sale.
The question is do ya need a $2k scope to a buck? or will a $200 Nikon Monarch do the job? or even a $100 simmons whitetail classic?

Will the any of the above fail, the answer is yes.

Scopes fail, period, be it Nikon, Zeiss, Simmons.

soutthpaw
12-31-2013, 12:35 PM
I have 2 bsa scopes I received as bonus items from grafs.
I did not even take them out of their boxes.
But when I got them I remember reading the reviews:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-bsa-rifle-scopes.html

you be the judge.

I do not trust reviews on sights that s sell the product except for reviews on Amazon by verified purchaser. I just posted a 1 star review to Primary Arms and it was removed in less than 12 hrs. I know a couple welding companies that flood Amazon with bogus reviews to promote their products. The same seems to happen on forums. Those who have never owned the brand like to trash talk it till the cows come home. I just put my BS filter glasses on and look for comments of those who actually own it....

Stockrex
12-31-2013, 12:52 PM
I do not trust reviews on sights that s sell the product except for reviews on Amazon by verified purchaser. I just posted a 1 star review to Primary Arms and it was removed in less than 12 hrs. I know a couple welding companies that flood Amazon with bogus reviews to promote their products. The same seems to happen on forums. Those who have never owned the brand like to trash talk it till the cows come home. I just put my BS filter glasses on and look for comments of those who actually own it....

wow, I did not know that about optics, *&&^^%$

maxl
12-31-2013, 01:05 PM
BSA is low quality low cost optics for those who have a very limited budget

soutthpaw
12-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Stockrex, you should send me those unopened BSA scopes. I will be happy to test them out and post back a review. I'll even pay shipping..

Stockrex
12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Stockrex, you should send me those unopened BSA scopes. I will be happy to test them out and post back a review. I'll even pay shipping..
southpaw, sure, if you can wait till March, I can part with one, I will pm ya.

soutthpaw
12-31-2013, 02:49 PM
southpaw, sure, if you can wait till March, I can part with one, I will pm ya.

Sure thing. Whenever ur ready to part with it just let me know.

thomae
01-01-2014, 05:58 PM
I think this thread has run it's course.