PDA

View Full Version : Neck sized brass,the gun hates it?????

Pages : 1 [2]

BillPa
12-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Please provide more info on how you accomplish and how you measure " shoulder bumping".
Thanks in advance

Measuring the amount of bump isn't difficult. A stick of FLS 280 brass for example.

http://i41.tinypic.com/296hm6u.jpg

I use two bushing, one on the casehead bored .100" deep and one on the shoulder, in this instance bored to .375". The bushing on the casehead includes any casehead runout in the measurement the same as it sat on the floor of the shellholder when sizing and or seating. It also insures consistent case alignment between the bushings. I can use that measurement as is or add .100" for the actual measurement of 2.099". Fired brass from that chamber averages 2.101"-2,1015".

Bill

wbm
12-19-2013, 04:58 PM
I think you sentences can be a bit misunderstood. David Tubb is not a Benchrest shooter.

True he is into HighPower but teaches, sells and promotes benchrest.

wbm
12-19-2013, 05:00 PM
I think you sentences can be a bit misunderstood. David Tubb is not a Benchrest shooter.

True. He is into HighPower but he instructs benchrest and full length resizes.

squirrelsniper
12-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Please provide more info on how you accomplish and how you measure " shoulder bumping". Perhaps a step by step procedure or did you use someting that is in print?
Thanks in advance

I'm sure you can find stuff on the net that gives you a lot better step by step instruction than I can here. But, I use a Stoney Point gauge (now sold under the Hornady brand name) with appropriate insert and calipers to measure a case from the head to the shoulder. Basically, it's a try and measure process. Screw in the FL die a bit, measure resulting case. Repeat until you have moved the shoulder back .002-.003" from where it started. Simple as that.

MacDR
12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
I neck size until chambering tells me it is time to push back the shoulder a bit. I like a bit of resistance on bolt lock-up. I can't say it makes any discernable difference to accuracy but it does to case life. This especially true for my 35 Remington cases which will split at the neck after only a few firings if I FL size them. FL sizing makes my 308 cases in my 99f harder to extract. This is related to a tight chamber but generous headspace. Cases stretch backward and repeated firing and FL sizing leads to thinning at the head and the telltale "ring" warning of potential head seperation. I barely kiss the shoulder on these cases and I have increased the case life and my peace of mind. It makes sense that looser fitting FL sized cases would somewhat compensate for bore and chamber alignment issues. A tight fitting case may result in the bullet entering the lead on a slight angle or striking it off centre. Neither would be good for acurracy. I wonder if checking case concentricy before and after firing might not help diagnose this condition?

Dirty Steve
12-20-2013, 10:03 PM
I am familiar with moly coating but what is HBN? sorry been out of shoot for a while.

Bench rest guys don't NS brass because the added force used to close the bolt moves the gun in the rest. They are after.001's not .10's

fgw_in_fla
12-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I am familiar with moly coating but what is HBN? sorry been out of shoot for a while.

Bench rest guys don't NS brass because the added force used to close the bolt moves the gun in the rest. They are after.001's not .10's

Boron Nitride.

I think. I've heard the term but never really researched it. As long as the bullet comes out of the hole in the end of the barrel & hits what I'm aiming at, good 'nuff for me....

PS = You aroused my curiosity...
Have a read:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/11/applying-boron-nitride-hbn-to-bullets/

mikein
12-21-2013, 11:49 AM
HBN = Hexagonal Boron Nitride. It's one of several coatings that can be used on bullet to improve their performance.

Westcliffe01
12-21-2013, 12:44 PM
I find the quality of neck (ID consistency and freedom from taper) to be better from my lee collet dies than any FL die I have ever owned. If the shoulder on my cases needs to be bumped, I have a body die for that, then neck size the neck.

This is my SOP with everything that I have been able to find collet dies for. For more than a year now, making of custom dies has basically been suspended, so all I have for my 6.5x284 is a FL die and I just got the barrel, so I don't know how the chamber vs the die compare. I do not have a body die for my 243 Ackley, nor a FL die for that matter, these would be custom. Fortunately, it is going to take me a while to work through fireforming all of the 243 brass I bought, so hopefuly I can get the die I need by the time all my brass is fireformed.

I have not had any issues with my method, but then I also do not just buy 20 or 50 shells which then get reloaded in weekly intervals. I plan on annealing by the 4th firing. The ackly cases should require very little trimming.