PDA

View Full Version : Disaster at the range today

Pages : 1 [2]

Hotolds442
02-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Thermaler- do yourself a favor and get the Hornady press mounted bullet puller with the appropriate sized collets. You can quickly and easily break down any ammo, even crimped, with no damage to the bullet or case, and zero frustration. It will make you want to throw away your kinetic bullet "puller". I did with a smile. Always hated that thing.
Or the same in the RCBS version. Very nice for pulling bullets, and you can use it to reseat the bullets at the same length for simple things like checking charge weights.

limige
02-06-2014, 10:11 PM
I sharpie the charge and use flip top boxes so ammo can't come out. I box each powder variety seperate and put masking tape on the box with the info.

Sorry to hear about your mess..

emtrescue6
02-06-2014, 10:19 PM
I've never had an ammo disaster, but I have had my fair share of disasters...LOL

thermaler
02-06-2014, 10:35 PM
I will definitely get a higher quality puller--I hate the kinetic bang hammer.

Jetpig
02-07-2014, 10:07 AM
MTM Caseguard is your friend. I label my loads with scotch tape and a pen on the outside of the case for each row. Hey Therm, you will really enjoy the pull with either the RCBS or Hornady collet pullers. No bullet damage and slick as snot!

fgw_in_fla
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
emtrescue6 and I communicated by PM.
I believe his words when he states that his original post was an honest mistake as he said in his apology in the thread. I have deleted all other posts having to do with his original post and he assures me that it will never happen again.

If any other forum members were offended by his post, I ask that you forgive him just as you would like to be forgiven for your mistakes.

Now back to the topic at hand.

Offended?
Here?
What could possibly make you think that any of us have feelings where we could be offended? I mean, this isn't knittingforfun.com or homemadepottery.com.
Besides, the guys a paid member. Why would he waste 15 bucks?

fgw_in_fla
02-07-2014, 10:25 AM
I will definitely get a higher quality puller--I hate the kinetic bang hammer.

Yo Therm,
I use the RCBS collet puller. I have collets for all calibers & swear by it. Never a damaged bullet. Reuse all components. Cheap enough to buy.
Besides, I get a real bad feeling banging a hot cartridge locked up inside a plastic container on the ground real hard.

thermaler
02-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Offended?
Here?
What could possibly make you think that any of us have feelings where we could be offended? I mean, this isn't knittingforfun.com or homemadepottery.com.
Besides, the guys a paid member. Why would he waste 15 bucks?I wasn't offended so much as mystified--but let's leave this dead horse alone.

BTW Frank, I thought you hung out at mywifespanksme.com ?

fgw_in_fla
02-07-2014, 10:31 AM
I wasn't offended so much as mystified--but let's leave this dead horse alone.

BTW Frank, I thought you hung out at mywifespanksme.com ?

You been spying on me again, boy?
I always knew you were NSA or something like that...

barrel-nut
02-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Besides, I get a real bad feeling banging a hot cartridge locked up inside a plastic container on the ground real hard.

^THIS. Obviously a product that slipped out from the factory under the radar of the corporate liability attorneys. But with that being said, I don't think I've ever heard of an accidental discharge with one of these. But still it just strikes me as a bad idea.

fgw_in_fla
02-07-2014, 10:38 AM
^THIS. Obviously a product that slipped out from the factory under the radar of the corporate liability attorneys. But with that being said, I don't think I've ever heard of an accidental discharge with one of these. But still it just strikes me as a bad idea.

The first time I ever used one of those banger thingies all I could think about was the 30.06 cartridge inside torching off & me picking shards of plastic out of my face.
After the second smack on the ground - and the bullet STILL wouldn't move - I took a ride up to the local supply guy & bought a RCBS set up.
Never looked back although, I'm still waiting to cross paths with somebody I don't like so I can give him the hammer banger concrete smacker bullet remover.

thomae
02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Frank, Thermaler: ENOUGH already! First of all this is a family friendly site, and secondly, my side hurts from laughing.

barrel-nut
02-07-2014, 10:44 AM
^My experience exactly, Frank. Except the one I bought was red and the assisted-suicide hammer contraption went in the trash can.

fgw_in_fla
02-07-2014, 10:52 AM
We're trying thomea, we're trying.
Being stuck indoors from the snow or in my case, the rain, make one quite bored.

I'm gone for a bit. I'm now 3 days off coffee, 4 weeks off smokes & I haven't killed anyone yet.
I got chores to do.
Later y'all...

thermaler
02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
The first time I ever used one of those banger thingies all I could think about was the 30.06 cartridge inside torching off & me picking shards of plastic out of my face.
After the second smack on the ground - and the bullet STILL wouldn't move - I took a ride up to the local supply guy & bought a RCBS set up.
Never looked back although, I'm still waiting to cross paths with somebody I don't like so I can give him the hammer banger concrete smacker bullet remover.It works OK and I've used it on everything all the way up to 300 win mag--not sure how you could light off a round unless maybe you put some kind of striker into the grip collars : ). But I figure I will eventually smash and break the thing (it's a pretty good concept when you think about it--harness that aggression energy from having screwed up : ) )--and I suppose that could potentially touch off a spark...

jonbearman
02-11-2014, 02:38 PM
I bought a large set of sharpies in many colrs and paint the head to the corresponding data in the box.Use good flip top boxes with alittle foam in the top to prevent wiggling when going down rough roads.I also write the charge weight on the side of each case if testing several loads like doing a ladder test.

iusmc2002
02-17-2014, 01:47 AM
I use a map pen, or a fine tipped Sharpie on the primer. For example, Load A will have no mark on the primer. Load B will have one line all the way across the primer. Load C will have a cross written on the primer. Load D will have a mark on the bottom of the rim. Something like that. Sometimes it gets to the point where I have a cross on the primer and 2-3 marks on the rim. As I finish each individual load, I record the info (bullet, powder and weight, seating depth, etc) into my book that goes to the range with me. Even in the Frankfort Arsenal boxes where the rounds sit on the base, the map pen or Sharpie has never come off.

I tried writing on the brass, like some have said, but my chicken scratch becomes unintelligible and then it's useless

pitsnipe
02-25-2014, 03:49 PM
It works OK and I've used it on everything all the way up to 300 win mag--not sure how you could light off a round unless maybe you put some kind of striker into the grip collars : ). But I figure I will eventually smash and break the thing (it's a pretty good concept when you think about it--harness that aggression energy from having screwed up : ) )--and I suppose that could potentially touch off a spark...

Used one of these myself until I saw the display on a wall at the range of someone who got twisted up with what end to hit. And apparently, with an .06 round in it, hit the business end of the round on a somewhat uneven surface. The pieces and the rest of the story (graphic) make a lasting impression.

Snipe

oneissuevoter
03-07-2014, 01:00 PM
I write 1-2-3-4-5 on the face of my developing loads. I've been there.

What you can do is shoot them all at the same targets in one shot groups. And place the targets on top of each other. The groups will line up. Then you have a set up to eliminate the bad group-s by process of elimination.

Only do that if you are good and safe on your powder envelope.