PDA

View Full Version : How far off the lands?

Pages : 1 [2]

Brent
07-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Not all chambers will allow loading to the lands and allowing enough bullet tension in case neck or enough bullet seated in the case neck. If you are bench guy and single feed then a lot of the seating depth arguements hold no real value. If you are hunter and want a repeater then you do need to consider magazine feeding and ammo handling. Regardless of your desires you really should get the right guages to measure bullet ogive to case base. OAL to the ogive is the most consistent measurement you can use for each bullet type you choose.

For me:
Step 1. Find OAL.
Step 2. Seat bullets .010 off lands
Step 3. Shoot for pressure. I step from minum in .5 grain increments to max. Load .5 grains less/off max, where pressure signs just start to show. I also do with different primers.
Step 4. Seating depth testing based on target powder charge. .010, .025, .050, .075, .100, .125

Most of my bullet choices have been VLD style bullets for long range applications. Most rifles prefered .100 off lands. However, I just built a new rifle with a Schnieder barrel that likes .050 and .075. I have not tested .025, but it didn't care a lot for .010 or less. It shot 5/8th at .010, 3/8th at .075, and almost same hole at .050 (with a magnum primer).

For me I try and not get worked up about seating depth. As long as I know my powder charge is safe I simply plan to shoot the seating depths until it all comes together. The biggest caution is whether or not your throat is long or short and how much powder compression is going on. Another example of is that of my 3 6.5-284's my Schnieder barrel is the shortest in throat by a consider margin. Again, I didn't care until I noticed I was compressing powder at .100 seating depth. If you are compressing powder just be mindful of the potential for pressure spikes.

thermaler
07-14-2014, 02:51 PM
I will add certain bullets like barnes ttsx shoot best off the lands. Loading close can cause serious pressure problems. I would start .030 off the lands for those. Do homework on your bullets.+1--some bergers too.

How far off the lands? That's a loaded question if there ever was one.

josh_m
07-15-2014, 07:27 AM
^^^^ that is some good information Brent. Thanks. I'm new to reloading and this site has been a great resource.