View Full Version : My New 25 Cal Wildcat

Pages : 1 [2]

cranebird
08-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Where are you at with this project ?

scope eye
08-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Where are you at with this project ?

It is back at Apaches for tweaking, no one makes that reamer so it had to be done with creativity.

Dean

scooterf79
08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Ahh gotcha, anything major? Im really curious to how this round ends up.

scope eye
08-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Ahh gotcha, anything major? Im really curious to how this round ends up.

No nothing major, I just want a bit more free bore, that and I want to try a recessed crown instead of they standard 11 degree crown, it wont be long.

Dean

cranebird
08-12-2014, 08:04 PM
No nothing major, I just want a bit more free bore, that and I want to try a recessed crown instead of they standard 11 degree crown, it wont be long.

Dean What does a recessed crown do for a bullet who is trying to keep its composure while achieving warp drive speeds ?

scope eye
08-12-2014, 08:52 PM
What does a recessed crown do for a bullet who is trying to keep its composure while achieving warp drive speeds ?

There are all kinds of tales on true advantages of a recessed crown, I am just doing it because they look cool.LOL

Dean

scope eye
08-13-2014, 03:34 PM
I think the main reason is if hit it against something it protects the rifling at the tip of the barrel.

Dean

cranebird
08-18-2014, 09:18 PM
I think the main reason is if hit it against something it protects the rifling at the tip of the barrel.

Dean
I'll keep that in mind if I ever build a cane gun.

SUTTERERMAN85
10-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Well have you shot this or what?

upSLIDEdown
10-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Well have you shot this or what?

Ahem.

scope eye
10-08-2014, 08:35 AM
No I have not, I have been so busy helping everyone else get ready for hunting season, that I have no time for myself, to shoot anything, I am also in the midst of moving, sadly still in the same state, on the bright side there is a club with a 300 yard range 10 min away, apparently they are not accepting new members but will if you are a resident of that town, as much as I love shooting, I can't believe how often I get caught up in things that have nothing to do with me, and make me miss out on the few opportunity's I get, it is very frustrating to say the least, that and this state being as hostile as it is to the 2nd amendment, makes for few outings, believe you me I would be ecstatic to bring you an update on this one, and I will as soon as it materializes, put yourself in my shoes, it is up there with root canal this whole relocation, I feel like like I am on the north side of the DMZ looking south, god I despise this state but am stuck here, so I will try to make the best of it what ever that means.

Dean

SUTTERERMAN85
10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
That sounds like a bad deal. I hear things about your state and always come to the same conclusion, WTF? Hope you get everything worked out. On a side note, Im going to be shooting the 50 thumper sat.

scope eye
10-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Great rub it in why don't you.LOL hey send a couple down range for me Por Favor.

Dean

jonbearman
10-09-2014, 11:05 AM
What do you think the barrel life would be at those speeds?

scope eye
10-09-2014, 12:10 PM
From my personal experience with these overbore wildcats, this what I have found, the first 400 rounds are match grade shots, then from 400 to 800 rounds it's still a good target barrel, and from 800 to 1200 rounds it becomes a hunting barrel, then you send it to Spanky and for $100.00 he cuts off an Inch and it's go time, I send them to him over the winter so there is no down time, and if I send it in at lets say 700 rounds or at they end of the season, then he only has to take 1/2 inch off, the big thing is to not over heat the barrel, so when I go to the range I always take several rigs and cycle them, and when I am in the fields I do tend take as many shots, so that is not a problem I also extract the spent brass as soon as I fire, so there is no heat soak from the brass staying in the chamber, and I also leave the bolt open as long as possible between shots to get maximum ventilation and cooling, it sounds like a lot of work but it is not, I do it as a natural reflex.

Dean

scope eye
10-10-2014, 07:36 AM
I love when I get they "1000 rounds are you kidding me" I can get 5000 rounds out of my 223 or 308 or what ever, to put it into automotive terms the 223 and 308 are minivans, nothing wrong with that I have both of those calibers and have even owned a minivan, and a barrel burning wild cat is a supercharged muscle car, runs hot, uses a lot of fuel, limited engine life, among other things, not something you would commute with, but cannot wait for the weekend to take her out, and like I always say go fire off 1000 rounds of RUM no matter what caliber and get back to me, chances are you will have that barrel for many seasons before seeing they end of it, and on a final note Nosler has come out with that new 26 cal, and anyone that can do math can figure out that thing has a limited life span, but it did not stop them so there must be something to it, you can't have something like this as a single of primary rig, but if you get to take it out even just once in a while it is still worth it, and if I couldn't afford to fire it, I would just wait until I could with no regrets.

Dean