PDA

View Full Version : Best dual purpose scope.

Pages : 1 [2]

chukarmandoo
08-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I know. I got carried away when he mentioned BDC.

Luke45
08-10-2014, 05:12 AM
I know. I got carried away when he mentioned BDC.

Bdcs pretty much confuse everyone because thier values change depending on what magnification , may as well Kentucky windage ;)

yobuck
08-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Recently purchased a model 11 HH in .308. My question is what would be the best scope for versatility. Would like to hunt whitetail in southeast US and also target shoot at my local club that ranges out to 300 yrds. I don't want to break the bank, I was thinking I Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 but I have never shot out past 100 yrds and I don't know if that is enough magnification.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Nikon BDC with spot on software?

Thanks

For deer hunting the 3x9 would be plenty of scope. It would also work for 100/300 yd target shooting.
The advantage of say a 4x12 would be it would be easier to see bullet holes at 300 yds at least on a white target.
I personaly dont like bdc reticles as they appear too large for me. Id sooner a plain cross hair, a duplex, or mildots.
Consider a step up to the Buckmaster model Nicon with target type knobs. Adding a few clicks of elevation from
a 100 to a 300 yd zero is elementry. When all is said and done regarding various reticles, that is still the best way to do it.
Also look at the Redfield battlezone scope. Made by Leupold it can be bought online for under $200. It comes with 2 sets of
pre programed knobs for both 223 and 308. Of coarse you can still dial as well.

FW Conch
08-10-2014, 01:51 PM
I recently bought a used Savage with a BDC reticle scope on it, and after very little shooting, I left it with my BIL to sell or trade. What I don't like about it most is, when I sight down the scope, I can't seem to focus on anything but that first circle under the cross hairs. Like mentioned above, too fussy. My shooting is limited to 300yds, so all I need is cross hairs. I am looking for a scope that has a small lighted dot in the middle of the cross hairs! :-))

rphguy
08-11-2014, 07:15 AM
I like Leupold VX-3L with a 50mm lens. It has the crescent cut out of the bottom of the scope so it sits lower and your sight picture is much better.
On another note, if you're not shooting past 300 yards, sight your rifle in to 0 at 200 yards. You will likely only be 1.5 inches high at 100 yards and 7-8 inches low at 300 yards.
Sighting in at 100 yards makes the drop much greater at the distant ranges.

justdave
08-11-2014, 10:54 PM
I recently picked up a SHV. Haven't spent much time with it but, I'm liking it so far. Should you get the opportunity to shoot farther, you're equipped.

jjdgldaz
09-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Think you Will like the clarity of a vortex