PDA

View Full Version : A-max kills

Pages : 1 [2]

earl39
09-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Not the A-Max but something to compare and think about. The Berger hunting bullets WERE target bullets to begin with and NOT recommended for hunting. After many kills and hunters talking about how well they worked in bringing down game Berger decided to say they were hunting bullets also. Now they have made target bullets with a thicker jacket because of complaints by shooters and have two lines of bullets. In short if it works why not use it?

DanSavage
09-19-2014, 06:28 PM
I have never had a white tail deer take 1 step after being struck with a 178 A max out of a .308 PERIOD

JackinSD
09-19-2014, 08:28 PM
At one point, the Hornady site did mention the "think skinned" animals. It has since been removed. I have used many different bullets on "thin skinned" game and will continue to use the AMAX. Why? In my experience, they have provided excellent results. Results are what count and they do the job for me extremely well.

Jamie
09-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Jack is correct. At one time they were recommended by Hornady but with the introduction of the more costly SST line the A-Max is now a "target only" and the SST is the hunting bullet.

thermaler
09-20-2014, 09:55 AM
In my Hornady 8th edition only the 6mm 105 gr is rated to take medium game. I think it's a mistake to assume that one instance of it "working" means it's the same across all calibers/weights. I know guys that hunt with matchkings in 224 for deer because they like the fact it goes off like a grenade inside the deer--I wouldn't trust myself with the right placed shot enough to do that though.

Velocity and energy are everything. (just ask Deano) : )