PDA

View Full Version : How low do you go in the woods?

Pages : 1 [2]

Nandy
10-21-2014, 10:02 PM
I think it is regional and very depending on how you hunt. Nowadays all my 3 hunting rifles are under a pound. However, I hunt 100% from a stationary point, either a blind, stand, climber or shooting box. Never walked with a loaded gun (except when stalking back in the days) in the woods. I walk to my stand with a round or two in the magazine but none chambered, bolt closed. When at the stand I load a shell, push the bolt forward but do not close it until I see deer and I decide to take it. Seems to me the majority of the bolt guns does not block the firing pin when the safe is on, only way to be 100 percent safe is to not have a round loaded and the bolt closed, no matter how much you bang your gun, it wont go off...

yobuck
10-22-2014, 02:12 PM
We, meaning all of us in our camp only hunt long range. If it rains we dont hunt except from our porch from which we can see a long way.
There is never a gun handy for shots along the road in the vehicles. The gun is placed on a portable bench when we arrive at our destination,
wether that be by walking or driving. It is never loaded untill we are ready to actually shoot at an animal.
The shooter will not be wearing gloves. Id say most of our guns have 1.5/2# pull.

J.Baker
10-25-2014, 01:10 AM
I'm like mine in the 3 to 3.5 pound range as well. Strange things tend to happen to the human body when a deer, elk, moose, bear, whatever poses for you in front of your crosshairs, so I like the extra safety factor. I also almost always wear gloves when hunting, be it leather shooting gloves, lightweight camo or heavy insulated so the extra pull weight gives better trigger feel and eliminates any possible "Did I do that?" moments.