PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Costs vs Factory

Pages : 1 [2]

Jamie
10-08-2014, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=jpdown;283703.......... an average of $0.76 cents a round. The cost per round was much more expensive than factory for the first several years due to equipment and start-up cost. That includes average reloading cost across all calibers I've played with since I started reloading which include .204, 6mmBR, 260, 308, 6.5x284, 280AI and 7mm Rem Mag. If I included the my time at minimum wage, it would be cheaper to buy factory for all the reasons mentioned above.

If you want/need the perfect ammo, tuned to your rifle for top notch accuracy, and are a "grumpy old guy" with free time, who does not play golf, and has more guns than he can actually use, then reloading makes sense. It is not going to be cheaper - all things considered.[/QUOTE]

I am not old, well maybe, 44. I work 55-60 hrs a week, do golf occasionally and typically not grumpy, shoot IDPA once a month, local pistol shoots twice a month, shoot with my buddies, hunt, fish work around the house and take the daughters shooting at least once a week, but if you look at the calibers you reload for you would be paying a whole lot more if you bought QUALITY factory loads. 6.5x284, 280AI, 7mm Rem Mag are all $40 for 20, for good stuff. So if I can load 100 rounds per hour on my Hornady progressive press I am making the equivalent of $200 of ammo an hour. 10 hours into it and I have $2000 worth. So for $300 for brass, $350 for bullets $250 in powder, $90 in primers and $450 for progressive press/shell and $100 in dies for a total of $1540 I am already cheaper in parts, plus $100 ($10 per hour you pay yourself) and we are still cheaper. Now consider that $850 or so of that will not factor in your next 10 hours of work and you come out at $800 or so vs, $2000 for factory (slightly higher than your $0.76 each) add in your $100 dollar loading fee and you are still $1000 cheaper on your next thousand rounds. These are rough numbers but they close enough.

Now........if you don't care about the utmost in accuracy then buy a 7.62x39, shoot steel cased surplus rounds and have at it. I'd rather go golfing than shoot that stuff though.

BillPa
10-08-2014, 10:47 PM
a "grumpy old guy" with free time, who does not play golf, and has more guns than he can actually use, then reloading makes sense.

Why are ya drag'n me into this? :p

jpdown
10-08-2014, 11:34 PM
I new I would get you soon to be "grumpy old guy's" into this debate. HA! HA!

BillPa
10-09-2014, 12:31 AM
I new I would get you soon to be "grumpy old guy's" into this debate. HA! HA!

Yeah, I'm old. I even had a pet dinosaur, I named it Cuddles but Dad made me get rid of it after it ate my sister's cat!

All seriousness aside, I can't remember firing a stick of factory fodder in any of my CF rifles in the past half century. When being fetched up if I needed ammo I called Unk (yes, we had telephones!) and he would load some for me. As I manured ...err ....matured I started helping him and buying the stuff to load my own. Its been a downhill slide ever since.:p

I never considered the cost of reloading , in fact I have no clue what factory ammo even goes for today. I walk past it to the good stiff, powder, bullets and primers. I'm well stocked up on brass.

Bill

jhelmuth
10-09-2014, 12:48 AM
As you've already read (so far), there are many arguments to be made and hardly to any conclusion (everyone has a different look/take on it). So I hope this can help you come to your own conclusion for what is "right" for you...

[1] The hard part of comparing these (hand-loading vs factory) goes beyond the consumables. Clearly both will "spend" powder, primer, and bullet. You can do the math, but I think you'll find that if you look really closely, you may arrive at the conclusion that those factors are a "wash" (break-even cost comparison). This leads to a more careful look at the "other" costs associated with hand-loading along with a cost/benefit analysis with respect to cases (brass). While a very lengthy discussion could be had on cases (brass), one would have to "examine" that particular cost factor as being some portion of the "re-usability" of brass in hand-loading practice. Buying factory doesn't give you the ability to "re-use" the brass. Therefore, one might conclude that hand-loading would have a cost benefit edge over factory loads (an opinion I share from keep account of my reloading costs). Additionally, one cannot ignore the added costs of machinery (dies, presses, etc.) in order to make ones own hand-loads. To be "fair" at actually costing that out, I think you would have to take into account residual value (re-sale) in order to determine the actual "cost" (over likely thousands of rounds) to the hand-loader (after all - a fair comparison should leave neither with surplus equipment/goods). So again... I think this would now potentially swing the balance back to a "wash" (depending on the extensiveness of the machinery - but I think that speaks more to those seeking ultimate precision and accuracy... something that most would consider a comparison of apples to apple pie).

[2] One has to consider the time factor. This - I think - is ultimately hard. After all.... most hand-loaders really enjoy this and it's a hobby where we typically consider our time spent as "free". You'll have to decide that for yourself.

[3] One also has to consider that hand-loads are - by their very nature - more accurate than factory loads (in nearly any instance...maybe not "always"). So that is a difficult factor to resolve. I mean how can anyone compare a factory round to one which has be custom tailored for "your" rifle (and shoots far better)?

Yes.... this isn't an "easy" to answer question. But if you take the plunge and try your hand at it. And after seeing what you can do, I think you may find that however you justify it, hand-loading just makes sense!

PS - I didn't even care to make the argument of how cool (and fun) it is to have ammo for your shooting when everyone else who has to buy factory ammo can't get what they need (and yes, it WILL happen again and again).

Appleseed
10-09-2014, 09:10 AM
"can't get what they need (and yes, it WILL happen again and again)."

I've been reloading on the rcbs that was given to me many years ago. All I've spent is for dies and a few hand tools and the componets. I too find reloading calming. Kind of like the ladies I know that knit, they can sit there without a peep, never bothering anyone in the house, (thanks for small blessings). This summer my loading room was moved to a refurbished shed overlooking the pastures/mtns. A perfect place to get away.

I back slid day before yesterday and bought 500 rounds of cheap federal 55gr to try out the new RRA. That stuff shoots 20 rounds the size of my thumbnail with three flyers in each group. You can hear those dud rounds. So I know what to expect of the rifle when I start loading the 69/75/81's.

This week we got to the ammo shops and found the shelves well stocked for the first time in two years, I suffered from irrational exuberance; bought 22wmr bulk too. This won't last. I plan to re-stock reloading components for the next drought that is bound to follow. I found that ammo link very interesting, thanks.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Nandy
10-21-2014, 11:25 PM
I will give you a "shorter" answer, if you are reloading just to save money it is not worth it and you will end up giving up on it. Reloading has to be enjoyed. That is the only way you can go thru the tedious process that reloading is and turn it into something interesting. To me it is so relaxing, hours and hours goes by while I take care of the brass, organizing the primed shells, measuring this, weighting that, etc... not to forget the time spend while developing a load... Researching what powders and bullets combinations are more predominating for a particular caliber, planning your shooting ahead, what combinations to load, go to the range and log, log and log everything, wind, altitude, weather, air temp when you starting shooting and thru the entire shooting session. Sit down at home, measure them group holes with your caliper and process all that data to plan the next trip... if all the above seems like too much, then just buy your ammo off the shelf and go shoot it. Reloading is NOT for everyone.

D.ID
10-22-2014, 11:42 AM
I have to handload for rifle and want to for heavy handgun.
I'll be the first to admit that it is a huge money saver in the pistol loads (45acp especially) 10mm a must!!!!........ 9mm, not so much.
As far as rifle ammo, I can NOT guarantee the accuracy I need unless I hand load, but if handloading I can tune the rifle to it's greatest potential easily.
I also can not get some of the loads I want to use from the factory at all: Such as wildcats like the 338 edge or heavy loads like a 300 wsm loaded with 208s or 243 loaded with 115s..........thease types of loads are simply not available.
If one of the budget friendly factory loads delivers adequate accuracy for you it will not be worth handloading, that has NEVER happened to me so I quit trying. Now days just finding out what load works best in a rifle can cost more than a beginner's loading set to dial one in. Just my .02

justinp61
10-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Reloading is another hobby for me and I've been doing it for 38 years. My brother and I started loading for shotguns to save money. It progressed into rifles and pistols. Now if it saves some money it's just a bonus. I enjoy working up loads for my rifles and pistols and take a lot of satisfaction shooting tiny groups and ground hogs at 400+ yards. Plus it's relaxing. All you guys that don't roll you're own send me your brass.

D.ID
10-22-2014, 08:16 PM
All you guys that don't roll you're own send me your brass.

+1 if he fills up on brass I will happily take the rest. :)!