PDA

View Full Version : Action not optically centered?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

rjtfroggy
04-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Loco I forgot all about that may need to be put back to mechanical zero.If he reads this he can do a search for how it is done,I have explained it once or twice.

r0ttie1
04-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Loco I forgot all about that may need to be put back to mechanical zero.If he reads this he can do a search for how it is done,I have explained it once or twice.

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it. I just had a hard time accepting that it would be the receiver. At least I have some things to try now.

Joe O
04-27-2010, 07:33 PM
It very well could be a misaligned barrel with the action,or a warped action,virtually aiming the barrel lower tha the horizontal plane of the action,scope bases or scope.You ddn't say if this was a new gun,or one hat you just re-scoped.My Savage LRPV shot 17" low at 50 yds with scope reticl centered.I corrected it with the =/- 10 burris inserts fore and aft,andstill needed scope adjustment.It went back to the factory for other issues,and I neglected to mention the low shooting problem.The floating bolt head covers up many misalignment flaws.Savage will do everything they can to make it right.Call Effie Sulivan in customer service.Send Emails with pictures(if that will help).They had Ups pick mine up the next day after the engineering department saw the problem.

Cycler
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I had a similar problem with a recent round action Accutrigger Model 16 in 7mm-08. With standard two piece Weaver bases installed, I used up nearly all of my Leupold 2-7x32 scope's elevation adjustment just getting zeroed at 100 yards.

Brownells sells shims to place under scope bases to correct this type of problem and it took a shim pack of 0.025" under the rear base to let me zero the scope with the elevation knob pretty much centered. That's about 18 minutes of angle correction. Here's the Brownell URL for these shims:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6883/Product/HART_SCOPE_BASE_SHIMS Your Savage will require the set with the 0.860" hole spacing

Later, I changed the Weaver bases for an EGW 0 moa one piece base since its multiple slots let me position the scope rings much more usefully but it also required the same shim pack to maintain the right zero. I guess I could have used the EGW 20 moa mount but I already had the shims.

rjtfroggy
04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it. I just had a hard time accepting that it would be the receiver. At least I have some things to try now.
[/quote]
If you need it explained PM me and I will go over it step by step with you, it really isn't hard to do. I think I mentioned this before if you want to try it out before your bases come in just cut a few small pieces of soda/beer can and use them for shims, no need to buy them.

r0ttie1
04-27-2010, 11:41 PM

If you need it explained PM me and I will go over it step by step with you, it really isn't hard to do. I think I mentioned this before if you want to try it out before your bases come in just cut a few small pieces of soda/beer can and use them for shims, no need to buy them.
[/quote]
The base is supposed to be in 5/3/10. Not being mechanically inclined. I think I'll wait until then to tinker.

r0ttie1
04-27-2010, 11:45 PM
It very well could be a misaligned barrel with the action,or a warped action,virtually aiming the barrel lower tha the horizontal plane of the action,scope bases or scope.You ddn't say if this was a new gun,or one hat you just re-scoped.My Savage LRPV shot 17" low at 50 yds with scope reticl centered.I corrected it with the =/- 10 burris inserts fore and aft,andstill needed scope adjustment.It went back to the factory for other issues,and I neglected to mention the low shooting problem.The floating bolt head covers up many misalignment flaws.Savage will do everything they can to make it right.Call Effie Sulivan in customer service.Send Emails with pictures(if that will help).They had Ups pick mine up the next day after the engineering department saw the problem.

It was sold to me as new with a Barska scope and Choate Super Sniper stock and bipod. I'm really beginning to regret this purchase. The rifle doesn't group real well as yet either. I bought two different kinds of match ammo to try this weekend to see how it groups.

dcloco
04-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Ah...try a different scope.

r0ttie1
04-28-2010, 12:55 AM

Let's see, I have a Nightforce NXS, what would you suggest?

r0ttie1
04-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Just curious, what are you trying to end up with? Do you want the scope to end up optically centered when it is zeroed at 100 yds, or how many moa of elevation do you wanna end up with?

Reason I ask is I dont know why the scope rep would assure you a 20moa base would not help you gain some adjustment.

Couple other things to check:
- Are you sure the front of the base isnt sitting on the recoil lug and making it higher in the front? That would cause what you are saying.
- Maybe take the scope off and put another scope in the same ring/base combo and see if it has the same problem, just to rule out a problem with the scopes adjustments. Just because the parts are expensive and made by NF dont mean they cant be defective. May not be the problem, but it is an easy way to rule it out.

I just want to get my elevation back. It was ridiculous how much elevation I had to burn to bring the bullet up at 100 yards. I could put the Barska back on it and try that I suppose. I had it zero'd at 200 yards but it was close to being on when I first got the rifle. I'm not sure how much elevation was used on that scope.

pdog06
04-28-2010, 07:48 AM

Uhhh,Considering it worked with the Barska id say try anything else. Like I said before, dont think that it cant be defective just because it is a NF. Even thought that sales rep will tell you different ::) Throw the Barska on it and boresight it to see if it is the same issue. If not you just ruled the gun out.

358Hammer
04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I ran into to this or a similer problem last year with a -0- MOA Picatinny one piece base and a 6.5 X 20 Leupold scope. I actually could not get enough elevation from the Leupold to get closer than 8" from the bottom of the bull.

I went home and took the scope and base off, measured each end of the base. I can't remember the exact difference but the base thickness on the front was something like .025-.050 thicker on the front than the back.

I took another -0- MOA base and measured with a resulting same front and rear measurement (round receiver) being the same. Put the different base on and no more problems.

Neal

r0ttie1
04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I ran into to this or a similer problem last year with a -0- MOA Picatinny one piece base and a 6.5 X 20 Leupold scope. I actually could not get enough elevation from the Leupold to get closer than 8" from the bottom of the bull.

I went home and took the scope and base off, measured each end of the base. I can't remember the exact difference but the base thickness on the front was something like .025-.050 thicker on the front than the back.

I took another -0- MOA base and measured with a resulting same front and rear measurement (round receiver) being the same. Put the different base on and no more problems.

Neal

A new base is in the mail to me. That's my next step. I've tried two sets of rings.

r0ttie1
04-28-2010, 11:17 AM

Uhhh,Considering it worked with the Barska id say try anything else. Like I said before, dont think that it cant be defective just because it is a NF. Even thought that sales rep will tell you different ::) Throw the Barska on it and boresight it to see if it is the same issue. If not you just ruled the gun out.

The Barska is pretty much topped out at 200 yards. That's the scope that was on the gun when I bought it. I'm hoping a new 20 moa base will cure the issue. If not, I guess the rifle is off to Savage.

rjtfroggy
04-28-2010, 05:21 PM
rOttie1 I don't want to confuse you here but if the 20moa mount works the problem still exists. What Pdog is trying to say is if another scope works without being top off then it is the scope that isn't right but if another scope is doing the same thing then the rifles action is off and only Savage can fix that. Call customer service at 1 800 370-0708 and explain to them what it is doing, they will probably issue a return ticket from ups and fix it right.

r0ttie1
04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
rOttie1 I don't want to confuse you here but if the 20moa mount works the problem still exists. What Pdog is trying to say is if another scope works without being top off then it is the scope that isn't right but if another scope is doing the same thing then the rifles action is off and only Savage can fix that. Call customer service at 1 800 370-0708 and explain to them what it is doing, they will probably issue a return ticket from ups and fix it right.

Thanks, I appreciate all your help.

r0ttie1
05-02-2010, 09:15 AM
My EGW 20 moa base came in and I mounted it. I went to the range yesterday and it got me my elevation back. I don't know if there's still an underlying problem but the I regained all my lost elevation back and am happy. Thanks again for all your help!

dcloco
05-02-2010, 12:49 PM
How much UP travel is left in your scope now?

r0ttie1
05-02-2010, 02:38 PM
How much UP travel is left in your scope now?

If I'm reading their turret scale accurately, I used 2.5 moa to zero at 100 yards. I have a bunch of up travel left.

dcloco
05-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Believe 358Hammer nailed this one spot on.

Can you post a picture of each end of the original mount that you used? Place a ball point pen on the end of the rail for size reference please.