PDA

View Full Version : Copper solvent test results

Pages : 1 [2]

fgw_in_fla
01-15-2015, 11:41 AM
I suppose there are all sorts of concoctions that will clean barrels.
But cleaning them without damaging the barrel could be another matter.
I have an old friend who at one time earned a good living as a machinist/gunsmith.
He was also at one time an active Williamsport shooter and had served as president there.
He ruined a new barrel of his own he had used a home brew mix on which he had left soak overnite.
He never said at least to me, but that might have dashed any plans he had for entering into the solvent business.

Yeah, you're right about that. Ask 5 guys what's the best cleaner, you get 6 different opinions.
Home brew mix that ruined a barrel?
What was in it? Acid?
I did coat the inside of a barrel with a generous amount of Hoppe's and forgot about it, had lunch & then a nap.

It seemed to loosen the copper but not fully dissolve it so the next 14 wet patches kept coming out a very nice pastel blue.

Anyone here using Ed's Red?
I hear lots of good stuff about it, just haven't gotten around to mixing up a small batch to try.

sixonetonoffun
01-15-2015, 02:08 PM
I use the Eds Red (variation) oil and solvent. No complaints I used stp and lanolin gets a little thick below 0. Works as advertised. Solvent works like goo-gone on stickers ect...

Anyone here using Ed's Red?
I hear lots of good stuff about it, just haven't gotten around to mixing up a small batch to try.

fgw_in_fla
01-15-2015, 03:54 PM
I use the Eds Red (variation) oil and solvent. No complaints I used stp and lanolin gets a little thick below 0. Works as advertised. Solvent works like goo-gone on stickers ect...

I don't think I'll have any viscosity issues here on the east coast of Florida.
I reckon I need to mix up a small batch, if possible, and have a go of it. I get tired of buying cleaning supplies & they get expensive. With the amount of shooting the wife & I do, its not hard to blow thru a small bottle of Hoppe's after each session. Especially when we bring 3 to 5 AK's with us along with the long range guns.

I've been buying Hoppe's in the big bottle & refilling the smaller one. Cost for supplies is the reason I went to 10% ammonia for de-coppering barrels. Its cheap, works fast and easy to find.

Thanks for the input.
Now, if you'll excuse me I think I'll go clean something...