PDA

View Full Version : Best scope for under $400

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

tammons
01-28-2015, 05:40 PM
No company will accept a scope for a simple refund because I dont like it, if its obviously been mounted, like ring marks, but I will say PA has good service and they are nice people to deal with.

The first PA 1-6X I bought was sort of fuzzy on the 6X end and I did not realize it until I hunted with it about 6 months later. I called them and sent it in and they sent me a new scope.

To me Midway has about the best return for refund. I have sent stuff back after 6mo to a year and gotten refunds.

I dont think you will be disappointment with a PA scope.

That said I think Leupold makes some of the best scopes as far as several things.
No tunnel vision IE the image fills the entire eyepiece, very forgiving eye box and they can handle a ton of recoil and are reliable.

I had a salesman argue with me one time about tunnel vision in scopes and he said I didnt know what I was talking about until I told him to get two scopes out of the case. He got out a Nikon 2.5-10X which had terrible tunnel vision and a Leopold VX1 2-7x.

After he compared the two he got it.

SouthernWoodworking
01-28-2015, 05:42 PM
No company will accept a scope for a simple refund because I dont like it, if its obviously been mounted, like ring marks, but I will say PA has good service and they are nice people to deal with.

The first PA 1-6X I bought was sort of fuzzy on the 6X end and I did not realize it until I hunted with it about 6 months later. I called them and sent it in and they sent me a new scope.

To me Midway has about the best return for refund. I have sent stuff back after 6mo to a year and gotten refunds.

I dont think you will be disappointment with a PA scope.

That said I think Leupold makes some of the best scopes as far as several things.
No tunnel vision IE the image fills the entire eyepiece, very forgiving eye box and they can handle a ton of recoil and are reliable.

I had a salesman argue with me one time about tunnel vision in scopes and he said I didnt know what I was talking about until I told him to get two scopes out of the case. He got out a Nikon 2.5-10X which had terrible tunnel vision and a Leopold VX1 2-7x.

After he compared the two he got it.

Yea, as long as the PA would hold zero, im happy. Its also almost $100 cheaper...Im really leaning towards it.

tammons
01-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Like was said above, if you dont like it, a PA scope should be easy to sell.
They are constantly out of the most popular scopes.

SouthernWoodworking
01-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Like was said above, if you dont like it, a PA scope should be easy to sell.
They are constantly out of the most popular scopes.
Ok, I think Im gonna do it.

tammons
01-28-2015, 05:48 PM
Also the Leupold is not illuminated.

Dont know if you are hunting hogs now, but 90% of the time we see them its so dark
you cant see a normal reticle, so now most of my rifles have illuminated reticles.

SouthernWoodworking
01-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Also the Leupold is not illuminated.

Dont know if you are hunting hogs now, but 90% of the time we see them its so dark
you cant see a normal reticle, so now most of my rifles have illuminated reticles.
we see hogs during the day and at night, I got my ak with a red dot.

tammons
01-28-2015, 05:51 PM
I am moving my PA 1-6x to my AR15 in 358 gremlin so if the Meuller 4-16x doesnt work out I will return it and the PA 4-14 FFP will be the next scope I buy for my regular hunting rifle.

SouthernWoodworking
01-28-2015, 06:11 PM
I am moving my PA 1-6x to my AR15 in 358 gremlin so if the Meuller 4-16x doesnt work out I will return it and the PA 4-14 FFP will be the next scope I buy for my regular hunting rifle.
Yea, the PA is on its way. How high of rings will I need?

Breeze
01-28-2015, 08:16 PM
this will help you with the rings http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

darkker
01-28-2015, 08:20 PM
They will return the rings if you just mount the base and sit the scope on it and have the wrong size.

My XL7 has the regular factory pic rail with a homemade 18 MOA adapter(puts the objective lower). The bull barrel is 0.980", I used medium rings and have PLENTY of room.

Stan r
01-28-2015, 09:45 PM
I was researching scopes today for my SIL.. saw the pa was back in stock. Should have it tomorrow

SouthernWoodworking
01-29-2015, 08:07 AM
this will help you with the rings http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator
Well, I think if I did it right, I would need 1/2in or 3/4in rings.

Breeze
01-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Well, I think if I did it right, I would need 1/2in or 3/4in rings. looks like lows

SouthernWoodworking
01-29-2015, 10:35 AM
looks like lows
so med would be 3/4in?

Breeze
01-29-2015, 06:59 PM
when you start looking for mounts ,most will give the center line measurement,
different mfg. use different measurements to define low, medium , high rings

D.ID
01-29-2015, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=tammons;302478]No company will accept a scope for a simple refund because I dont like it, if its obviously been mounted, like ring marks, but I will say PA has good service and they are nice people to deal with.

Bushnell elite tactical claims they will do just that.
No I have not tested them. I've loved everyone I bought so there was no need.

Breeze
02-05-2015, 01:25 AM
Yea, the PA is on its way. How high of rings will I need?
I am sure everyone would like to hear your review of the Pa scope.

tammons
02-05-2015, 01:42 AM
I will throw in my 2 cents on the PA 4-14 FFP.

Eye relief is good.

The eye box is decent and not too overly tight. Not as nice as a leupold but not bad either.

Does not have any significant tunnel vision.

Illumination on high reds out the scope. Pretty much expected since my PA 1-6X does the same
Low seems like it will be okay for low light so far.

A bit Heavy at 24oz.

I will say since these are from China you need to check them out thoroughly.
Mine at 4X seems to shift the reticle to the left, but I need to spend more time with it.
Might have to send it back.
At 14X it is perfectly centered.

Also my first PA 1-6X, which is also another nice scope, was fuzzy at 5-6X and it was replaced. 2nd one is fine.

These scopes are nice, but not perfect by a long shot, then again you cant expect them to compare
to an IOR scope for sub $300.

Gets my vote and I might pick up another one.

Hotolds442
02-05-2015, 01:58 AM
The illuminated 4-16x44 at $159 is not even in the same class as the 4-14x44 $230 scope I have been buying and recommending. Let's not get the two confused. There is a huge difference between the two. The 4-14x44 FFP is not an illuminated scope. The 4-16x44 is.......the ACSS is also illuminated, but I have not had a reason to choose it over the Mil/mil 4-14x44

SouthernWoodworking
02-05-2015, 07:37 AM
The illuminated 4-16x44 at $159 is not even in the same class as the 4-14x44 $230 scope I have been buying and recommending. Let's not get the two confused. There is a huge difference between the two. The 4-14x44 FFP is not an illuminated scope. The 4-16x44 is.......the ACSS is also illuminated, but I have not had a reason to choose it over the Mil/mil 4-14x44
Yep! So far, mine seems good. Im gonna go shoot this weekend and test it out (and my gun). May write up a review on it. Turrets are a little mushy but, I heard you can fix that.