PDA

View Full Version : Mdl 10 weak ejection

Pages : 1 [2]

LoneWolf
03-15-2015, 09:26 PM
My corrective actions helped, but still had consistency issues. Going to try to open up the face of the ejector slightly next.

BillPa
03-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Something else you have to watch for, the top corner of the lug race in the ring. Sometimes its a sharp point, grabs the case near the shoulder then rips it out of the extractor. You can stick a pinky in the ring and feel it. A lot of times when a case seems to just fall off and is left laying partially on the follower its the culprit. I got into the habit knock'n it off the first time I have barrel off an action.

Bill

LoneWolf
03-16-2015, 12:17 AM
Ya this is a Shilen DGR action. Not a factory Savage. Just trying to get ejection tuned to be more reliable and consistent.

pitsnipe
03-16-2015, 10:58 AM
UPDATE:

drybean has graciously offered a .140 detent ball to see if this will cure the problem. Thank you sir.

Mach2,

Yes, you are correct, the "root" of the problem is EXTRACTION not ejection. Cant have one without the other. Hope to have both soon.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Snipe

Mach2
03-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Little things like the .140 extractor ball and the updated ejector are inexpensive updates that make your Savage run like a high class rig costing hundreds of dollars more. Down the road if you start reloading your ammo your updated bolt and receiver will better handle brass cases after being reloaded several times. Case heads fired several times start getting wear and getting rounded edges which makes them tough for the extractor to hold on to. Every little bit of quality you add will help you appreciate your Savage even more. These upgrades are quality that most people don't ever see.

LoneWolf
03-16-2015, 09:26 PM
So I think the issue is I can run the bolt faster than it can eject and the bolt travels further back than is required for ejection and a little further than required to pick up the next round off the mag. So in reality I'm faster at cycling the bolt than the bolt is at ejecting the brass.

Mach2
03-17-2015, 10:35 AM
So I think the issue is I can run the bolt faster than it can eject and the bolt travels further back than is required for ejection and a little further than required to pick up the next round off the mag. So in reality I'm faster at cycling the bolt than the bolt is at ejecting the brass.

You may like a control-feed receiver better than the Savage push-feed type.

LoneWolf
03-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Hopefully we can someone will make something that is more consistent for those of us who require more from these rifles.

RatMag
03-17-2015, 05:32 PM
I hated my controlled round feed FN-SPR receiver, but I did like the huge claw extractor that it had. I found myself needing to single feed several times, and the controlled round feed didn't really care for that idea too much. Yes, it worked, but it took extra time to get the bolt locked down. I think that every rifle made has some sort of flaws in the design.

DK

Hotolds442
03-17-2015, 11:33 PM

Maybe a .223 length front baffle trimmed down could limit the rearward travel, but that wouldn't slow you down any. At least you could eliminate one more little quirk.

LoneWolf
03-18-2015, 12:07 AM
Maybe a .223 length front baffle trimmed down could limit the rearward travel, but that wouldn't slow you down any. At least you could eliminate one more little quirk.

Running a Shilen Action. There are no baffles! I would also need a custom length bolt head to do that. I just have to work the action the way it likes to be worked and then upgrade to a higher model better suited for my competition and shooting style. I have out grow Savage style parts in that department. They shoot and will function, but when it comes to smooth cycling and ejecting brass there is a lot to be wished for from my stand point.

That is their limitation and why you do not see many Savages in the truly competitive precision bolt rifle arena.

Hotolds442
03-18-2015, 12:12 AM
Running a Shilen Action.
DOH......I temporarily misplaced that knowledge.

pitsnipe
03-20-2015, 10:11 AM
UPDATE

Installed new extractor/spring and ejector/spring (figured after 4k rounds a little tune up in the bolt head couldn't hurt) along with the .140 extractor ball from drybean (thank you again sir!) last night and this Savage tosses em like a Tikka now! NEVER has been this good.

Snipe

LoneWolf
03-20-2015, 10:17 AM
That's good news. I'm still working on getting mine right, but it's better for right now. Did you use all OEM replacement parts?

pitsnipe
03-20-2015, 01:38 PM
That's good news. I'm still working on getting mine right, but it's better for right now. Did you use all OEM replacement parts?

Yes I did, except for the .140 ball of course. For the $ it was worth it.

Snipe