PDA

View Full Version : "SHOOTER" Android Ballistics APP

Pages : 1 [2]

BigDave
03-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Spend your money on AMMO, not apps. When I first started shooting long range, we didn't even have computers, let alone a ballistic program. We got along fine with a pencil and a notebook, and got our information firsthand simply by pulling the trigger.:p

I just spent a whole $12 on Strelok plus. As PENANCE I bought another 200 rounds of Federal GMM. Seriously. I did. And I bought some Black Hills Match in 168gr and 175gr too! Waiting on my scope. I thought it would be stupid to buy rings until I measure carefully. So, its gonna take a bit of time to get set up. Getting there. I am just waiting for the mail for some items.

I have used Shooter, iSnipe, BulletDrop, JBM, Berger, and iStrelok. Paid subscriptions for most, and the best one to me, is by far iStrelok. You can literally put all your information into the various software apps, and it seems like NONE of them ever give you the same information based on the same parameters. No, I am definitely not trying to land on the moon, but I definitely want to hit what I am sending a projectile towards. iStrelok just plain works...

DK

You win the "Most Helpful Reply" Award. Thank you. I looked at Igor Strelok's Strelok pro. It was only $12 and change. AND it supports my Falcon B20 reticle. I was shocked. I bought it. I will compare firing solutions with Shooter and vs where the bullet actually ends up!

. I will be keeping detailed notes for each round down range so I will try to come back in a month and give my findings in a new thread. I am still getting set up with Scope/rings and a lot of the support stuff that I just never needed for my AR-15 and 9mm CQB drills.
I invested in a TRIAD MODULAR STOCK PACK. It comes with layers of foam strips to build a perfect cheek weld for what ever scope height I end up with. It has room for a note book and a Mildot Master too.

I found a pretty decent 48" rifle backpack/mat combo. It's not as thick as the nice mats but I have enough "stuff". I dont want to need shopping cart to go to the range. The mat portion is not full length. It's 66 L X 35w as a mat. I will do a review with photos. Shoulder, chest, and waist strap. This will come in handy for any tactical course where they make you hump your rifle up a mountain/whatever. I bet it will work nice just to hump the stuff from my car to the firing line which can be a distance depending on which range I use.

stomp442
03-17-2015, 04:15 PM
I guess I am a traditionalist. While I use apps and other devices I don't count on them and put full faith into what they spit out. When developing come ups out to 1000 yards for my rifles I will usually run an app with all my data and start there for an Idea of what I need to dial to. For the most part they will put you on a steel gong but they are rarely centered up. I fine tune from there, then write down the magic number in my note book to print up a range card of actual shot data later. Inconsistencies in crony data and the terrain you are shooting over and what the wind is doing over that terrain can create enough difference in trajectories to make your app seem quite a bit off. Another thing that I always see people have trouble with as well is the scope height. I don't know how many times I have seen people at the range cussing a ballistic app because they can't hit what they want and they are using the standard 1.5" scope height supplied by the app instead of the actual scope height of their tactical 56mm monstrosity optic. Good data in generally results in at least usable data out.

yobuck
03-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Spend your money on AMMO, not apps. When I first started shooting long range, we didn't even have computers, let alone a ballistic program. We got along fine with a pencil and a notebook, and got our information firsthand simply by pulling the trigger.:p

This is exactly right. First realize how short a period of time its been since computers and as a result these type programs have been available to the masses.
Yet 50 years ago at least where im from, long range shooting and hunting was taking place. Charts were made by someone actually shooting the distances.
My first chart was given to me over 40 years ago by a friend and mentor by name of Frank Weber. He was then and still is a Williamsport shooter
setting several records along the way. It was a chart for a 6.5x300 Weatherby which was a popular cartridge at the time. I had a new 7x300 Weatherby
built on a Hart#4 action. Frank said dont worry it will get you very close. You know what it did, and that chart is still varnished onto one of my
portable benches. I should also add that muzzel brakes were never seen then either which meant shooters werent seeing their own shots.
A 2nd person using large tripod mounted binnoculars and acting as a spotter for the shooter is the only answer for long range hunters.
The programs available today have been an enormous help in establishing good information. But as Long Range has pointed out there are many varieables
to contend with on a day to day basis. Today were being told that by using the proper information first round hits at extreme distances can be expected.
Thats simply B S and those that are saying it know it. Is it possible, yes it is, but then so is winning the lottery. Its also not very likely that even a better than average shooter
will be able to make those type shots on first round (every time) using the best data available. Ive got the place to do it with free room and board for anybody wanting to show their stuff.

LongRange
03-17-2015, 09:57 PM
i have 2 questions for everyone...using the apps or not...that has posted in this thread...first whats the longest cold bore(with a hit on target)shot you have EVER made? second...whats the longest shot and hit you have ever made? targets as big as cars dont count so lets keep it at say 2"x2" target.

i ask because i am curious to hear what different shooters consider extreme long range.

sharpshooter
03-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Longest cold bore shot and longest shot was 1052 yds on a ground hog in PA.

barrel-nut
03-18-2015, 12:58 AM
I guess I am a traditionalist. While I use apps and other devices I don't count on them and put full faith into what they spit out. When developing come ups out to 1000 yards for my rifles I will usually run an app with all my data and start there for an Idea of what I need to dial to. For the most part they will put you on a steel gong but they are rarely centered up. I fine tune from there, then write down the magic number in my note book to print up a range card of actual shot data later. Inconsistencies in crony data and the terrain you are shooting over and what the wind is doing over that terrain can create enough difference in trajectories to make your app seem quite a bit off. Another thing that I always see people have trouble with as well is the scope height. I don't know how many times I have seen people at the range cussing a ballistic app because they can't hit what they want and they are using the standard 1.5" scope height supplied by the app instead of the actual scope height of their tactical 56mm monstrosity optic. Good data in generally results in at least usable data out.

^ best reply.
Use the app to get a starting point. Generally, as stated above, if you feed it good info, it will get you close. Then fine tune from there, and record your findings. Nothing wrong with doing it "old school", except, that we don't have to do it that way any more. The app will easily pay for itself on the first outing in ammo saved versus using charts or just guessing. Are they perfect, no. But they are a useful tool when used correctly. Forty years ago, we didn't have laser rangefinders either. Technology advances, and that's generally a good thing. It's up to us to embrace it or reject it as we see fit.
BTW, I like and use Knight Armament Co.'s BulletFlight app.

Jamie
03-18-2015, 07:45 AM
^ best reply.
Use the app to get a starting point. Generally, as stated above, if you feed it good info, it will get you close. Then fine tune from there, and record your findings. Nothing wrong with doing it "old school", except, that we don't have to do it that way any more. The app will easily pay for itself on the first outing in ammo saved versus using charts or just guessing. Are they perfect, no. But they are a useful tool when used correctly. Forty years ago, we didn't have laser rangefinders either. Technology advances, and that's generally a good thing. It's up to us to embrace it or reject it as we see fit.

That is what pretty much everyone does. It is not an either/or situation, you use both. I didn't own a an app until 6 weeks or so ago. It is extremely close to my noted drops.

I dialed my .300 RCM pistol to get to 600. App told me to put it 9x and hold top of post. I did and made first shot hit on a gong. No, not match quality but that is a hunting gun so it is just fine.

LongRange
03-18-2015, 08:50 AM

now thats a shot right there!!

^ best reply.

That is what pretty much everyone does. It is not an either/or situation, you use both. I didn't own a an app until 6 weeks or so ago. It is extremely close to my noted drops.

I dialed my .300 RCM pistol to get to 600. App told me to put it 9x and hold top of post. I did and made first shot hit on a gong. No, not match quality but that is a hunting gun so it is just fine.

barrel nut and jamie...i agree the apps are a great tool and like you both say if you feed them good info they will get you very close if not on target...i also use and like the quick load program.

stomp442
03-18-2015, 09:36 AM
I have a steel pig used for the silhouette game that I hang from a stand and practice with out in the field using field conditions and hunting scenarios. Longest 1st round cold bore hit was 1166 yards with my 6.5-06 Ackley improved shot from my pack while laying prone.

This is the same pig with the same rifle at 800 yards.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/meganeff442/My%20Guns/65-06Ackley800yards_zps27631328.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/meganeff442/media/My%20Guns/65-06Ackley800yards_zps27631328.jpg.html)

This is shot using a E.R. Shaw barrel as well for those of you who keep asking if they are good barrels or not. I am inclined to say yes.

LongRange
03-18-2015, 10:33 AM
I have a steel pig used for the silhouette game that I hang from a stand and practice with out in the field using field conditions and hunting scenarios. Longest 1st round cold bore hit was 1166 yards with my 6.5-06 Ackley improved shot from my pack while laying prone.

This is the same pig with the same rifle at 800 yards.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb99/meganeff442/My%20Guns/65-06Ackley800yards_zps27631328.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/meganeff442/media/My%20Guns/65-06Ackley800yards_zps27631328.jpg.html)

This is shot using a E.R. Shaw barrel as well for those of you who keep asking if they are good barrels or not. I am inclined to say yes.

very nice shooting stomp!!

yobuck
03-18-2015, 11:18 AM
^ best reply.

Your correct with what you said and so is Stomp 442.
Yes modern techknowledgy is wonderful and very helpfull compared to how it (had) to be done years ago.
But, the problem as i see it is beginners are being B S ed into believing things that in reaity wont happen.
Useing the information as a starting point and adjusting from there accordingly would be a truthfull approach.
I think what that all means is that the time tested sighter shot is still a good method.
We dont just willy nilly take sighter shots when we hunt. On closer shots at deer say up to 700 yds its pretty much
a dial and hit on first round situation. But the longer shots is where the errors are magnified and misses are more frequent.
Dont forget you cant adjust for tree branches either and we have lots of them to deal with. When the arc of the bullet ends up taking it
thru branches a small deflection is all it takes to cause a miss. And a miss is a miss regardless what caused it.
Move on and send another is the only logical approach.
As for rangfinders no we didnt have (lazer) rangfinders. But, we had very very good military rangfinders.
Today i have a Swarovski lazer and its absolute junk compared to the one ive owned for over 40 years.
If you have about $2500 you can buy a reliable lazer rangfinder. But thats a different discussion.

yobuck
03-18-2015, 12:51 PM

The (best) first round cold bore shot ive made was my only ever PA black bear. And i'll readily admit luck played a large roll.
First for even seeing a bear to shoot at. Second for being there at age 70 after having survived heart surgery followed by a stroke a few months earlier.
And third for hitting the bear. Short story version is the bear was running up the sidehill across a valley we were glassing. We had packed into this spot
about a 1/4 mile from the truck. We had years before ranged various points like rocks etc and had them in a book we carry for spots like that.
We also have a small wood bench stashed in there. I was using my heavy custom sporter on a Rem 700 chambered for 7x300 weatherby.
Bullet was the 162 hornady match bthp. I was following it as it ran up the hill thinking it waset going to stop before it went over the top.
But finaly it did about 3/4 of the way up. I asked my son who had the book in his hand while watching thru tripod mounted glasses how far it was.
He said figure between 7 and 750 near as he could tell. My scope is an old vx3 3.5x10 made before knobs were available. I had sent it to Dick Thomas
at Premier Reticle to install dots to 1000 yds years earlier when i bought it. I held the 700 dot on top of his back and hit that bear first shot.
He got back up and tried to go but immediatly turned down hill. So i knew at that he was hurt bad. He didnt go far and stopped again and i missed him.
But the next shot dumped him for good.
Now the irronic part is 50 years earlier in 1955 i was stopped on the dirt road directly below the spot i was sitting when i shot the bear. By a guy laying on the road shooting at a buck on the same hill within a couple hundred feet of where i killed the bear. That was the first long range kill id ever seen take place which planted the seeds in my then young mind.

LongRange
03-18-2015, 08:34 PM
The (best) first round cold bore shot ive made was my only ever PA black bear. And i'll readily admit luck played a large roll.
First for even seeing a bear to shoot at. Second for being there at age 70 after having survived heart surgery followed by a stroke a few months earlier.
And third for hitting the bear. Short story version is the bear was running up the sidehill across a valley we were glassing. We had packed into this spot
about a 1/4 mile from the truck. We had years before ranged various points like rocks etc and had them in a book we carry for spots like that.
We also have a small wood bench stashed in there. I was using my heavy custom sporter on a Rem 700 chambered for 7x300 weatherby.
Bullet was the 162 hornady match bthp. I was following it as it ran up the hill thinking it waset going to stop before it went over the top.
But finaly it did about 3/4 of the way up. I asked my son who had the book in his hand while watching thru tripod mounted glasses how far it was.
He said figure between 7 and 750 near as he could tell. My scope is an old vx3 3.5x10 made before knobs were available. I had sent it to Dick Thomas
at Premier Reticle to install dots to 1000 yds years earlier when i bought it. I held the 700 dot on top of his back and hit that bear first shot.
He got back up and tried to go but immediatly turned down hill. So i knew at that he was hurt bad. He didnt go far and stopped again and i missed him.
But the next shot dumped him for good.
Now the irronic part is 50 years earlier in 1955 i was stopped on the dirt road directly below the spot i was sitting when i shot the bear. By a guy laying on the road shooting at a buck on the same hill within a couple hundred feet of where i killed the bear. That was the first long range kill id ever seen take place which planted the seeds in my then young mind.

damm you are old arent you LOL!!! i wasnt even a twinkle in my dads eye in "55"!!

yobuck
03-19-2015, 10:42 AM
damm you are old arent you LOL!!! i wasnt even a twinkle in my dads eye in "55"!!

Well to a point at least it is a state of mind. Ive known lots of guys who were always old.
Some things youve just got to accept and move on with what you can still do.
Plan ahead and make sure you surround yourself with good young people.
Dont wait till you need them, by then they wont need you.
I can still find them and hit them, i just cant go get them. So i give most of the ones i find to the young guys.
By the way, the 55 chevy bel air hardtop coupe with their new v/8 engine i was driving cost me $2.600 new.
In the mid 60s i bought a lefty Savage 110 barreled action in 300 win mag from Savage for $85. I put a Fajan laminated thumbhole stock on it.
It kicked so bad my left eyebrow never healed up.

LongRange
03-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Well to a point at least it is a state of mind. Ive known lots of guys who were always old.
Some things youve just got to accept and move on with what you can still do.
Plan ahead and make sure you surround yourself with good young people.
Dont wait till you need them, by then they wont need you.
I can still find them and hit them, i just cant go get them. So i give most of the ones i find to the young guys.
By the way, the 55 chevy bel air hardtop coupe with their new v/8 engine i was driving cost me $2.600 new.
In the mid 60s i bought a lefty Savage 110 barreled action in 300 win mag from Savage for $85. I put a Fajan laminated thumbhole stock on it.
It kicked so bad my left eyebrow never healed up.

i know exactly what you mean....i know several guys in their late 30s early 40s that are broke down already. i will be 51 soon and still work most of the guys i run in the ground. just think if you would of took that $2600 dollar bel air and drove it from the lot into storage what it would be worth now.

yobuck
03-19-2015, 12:18 PM
i know exactly what you mean....i know several guys in their late 30s early 40s that are broke down already. i will be 51 soon and still work most of the guys i run in the ground. just think if you would of took that $2600 dollar bel air and drove it from the lot into storage what it would be worth now.

A $2600 investment in lots of things then would amount to a fortune today.

binadu
03-29-2015, 11:34 PM
I've used both the shooter app and strelok pro and they work ok what I found that really works for me is gunwerks G7 program on their website. I print out a drop chart and shoot out past 500 yards making sure to write down my corrections when I get home I do a trajectory validation on their site to see if it matches the corrections I made in the field. I can say this it works better then any of my apps

BW64
03-30-2015, 09:19 AM

BINGO!!!!! Best advice yet,

BW