PDA

View Full Version : .204 Ruger Axis Range Report

Pages : 1 [2]

bythebook
06-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Mine was about 1/4 turn behind top dead center so I used some 220 grit emory paper and it did not take long. Now I have to decide if I should paint the brake or leave it alone. It is on a blued barrel. I have a bench sander but I used the paper on a flat steel plate and took a little at a time.

Rosco
06-11-2015, 09:58 PM
A few more groups @ 100yds

.22 MOA

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/hcoltrain/Mobile%20Uploads/Ruger%20204%20Axis/IMAG0929.jpg

.46 MOA

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/hcoltrain/Mobile%20Uploads/Ruger%20204%20Axis/IMAG0931.jpg

Lorenzo
06-18-2015, 04:39 AM
Sweet gun. I'm thinking about doing some kind of axis build, theyre just so cheap and so many people get great results. What would you say the stock trigger pulled at and how did it feel compared to the new one? what rifle was your new barrel from?

Rosco
06-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Wish I had a Lyman Trigger pull gauge so I could tell you exactly, but if I had to guess it would be around 6-7lbs. The Rifle Basix SAV-1 comes in at around 2-2.5lbs and the difference is night and day. After I had installed the new trigger and adjusted the overtravel screw, trigger control and recoil recovery was so much easier. In fact, I was so used to shooting with the factory Axis trigger that even now I almost always let off a shot ot two at the range before I am ready because the pull is so much lighter.

The barrel was taken of a Savage 12, and it came threaded in 1/2x28 with a 1:9 twist which is faster than the standard factory barrels with about 150 rounds down the tube. Pretty sure he had it done by the Savage Shop since I couldn't find any that you could purchase off the shelf that had a 1:9 twist rate.

You will find a wide range of opinions on the Axis, and interestingly a thread going right now in that forum called "Savage Axis Suck". They do fine by me, and I have 4. Guess it all depends on what type of overall experience and intended use you are looking for.

Lorenzo
06-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Sweet gun. I'm thinking about doing some kind of axis build, theyre just so cheap and so many people get great results. What would you say the stock trigger pulled at and how did it feel compared to the new one? what rifle was your new barrel from?
if I do get one I would have to change the barrel and stock right away and probably the trigger aswell. which really wouldn't be too costly. where did you find people who wanted the old barrel and stock?

Rosco
06-18-2015, 11:24 PM
If you become a paid member you can sell your parts in the classified section. Selling a new barrel should not be hard at all, and if you can't sell the stock here I have had decent luck on Ebay.

jonbearman
06-22-2015, 10:53 PM
My hair is longer than ted nugents at the moment. Gonna donate it to kids with cancer.

foxx
06-22-2015, 11:14 PM
if I do get one I would have to change the barrel and stock right away and probably the trigger aswell. which really wouldn't be too costly. where did you find people who wanted the old barrel and stock?

If you are gonna do all that, I'd suggest the Axis "Heavy Barrel". THey have a $50 rebate going thru the end of the month and the resale value of the heavy barrels are better than factory barrels. You might shoot it, though, and decide it's worth keeping the barrel, just replace the trigger and stock. Boyds Laminate stock about $100, Rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger about $100... you might find out you have a nice shooter for very little cost.

I've been getting about $150 on ebay (would not charge that much here, though).