PDA

View Full Version : 260 LC Brass

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

BillPa
07-22-2015, 09:25 PM
water would form a film and the surface tension will allow the water on the tip of the brass to form a convex surface

Not if you put a surfactant ( drop of dish detergent) in the water to break it's surface tension.:p

Bill

foxx
07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Bill, I'm glad you clarified that statement. Otherwise, your suggestion almost sounds gross and perverted. :)

budmccarroll
07-22-2015, 09:47 PM
I bought 1000 pieces of LC 308 match brass. I cleaned it then resized with a 7-08 then down to 260. I made a neck turner on my mini lathe, it's fast and does a great job.

GRUMPA
07-24-2015, 12:25 PM
How you folks get different diameters for the neck diameter in your chambers is beyond me. Here's a link to picture I have on another site, look closely at the case neck diameter and then the chamber neck diameter. I have factory loaded rounds that I checked and the neck diameter with it being loaded is .297 and not only do I use micrometers but also gauge blocks and a .00005 indicator.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98166&d=1393688605

I may need to get a different size reamer, I'll just wait and see....

eddiesindian
07-24-2015, 12:56 PM
How you folks get different diameters for the neck diameter in your chambers is beyond me. Here's a link to picture I have on another site, look closely at the case neck diameter and then the chamber neck diameter. I have factory loaded rounds that I checked and the neck diameter with it being loaded is .297 and not only do I use micrometers but also gauge blocks and a .00005 indicator.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=98166&d=1393688605

I may need to get a different size reamer, I'll just wait and see....

While Im not a machinest or tool and die kinda guy I am however and Ford tech. Been a certified Ford Tech for 39yrs and counting. the tolerances we deal with aren't as close to the tolerances you've been dealing with. Although the engine,s they,ve developed in the last 10 yrs have close tolerances but the drive train and trans are still dealt with in thous.
That being said, I do have my own set of mics and measuring tools that work well for what I need. Don't even come close to your tolerances but they get the job done.
Ive mic,d more than 100 of your cases that you delivered and every single one measures,s exactly the same.
Again, job well done matt.
I don't know how you have the patience but Im glad you do

BillPa
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM
How you folks get different diameters for the neck diameter in your chambers is beyond me.

I cast the chamber(M).
http://i48.tinypic.com/34g1szm.jpg

Bill

GRUMPA
07-24-2015, 04:26 PM
I think some are getting a little different meaning than what I'm trying to relate. What I'm saying is the chamber neck diameter (according to S.A.A.M.I. spec) is .298 at the case mouth and .299 right at the shoulder junction. Now if you were to look at the table of contents, that diameter has a tolerance of +.002 and yet I'm reading about folks having smaller diameters.

And the call-out for the neck diameter is .297 and that's what the factory ammo I have measures.

eddiesindian
07-24-2015, 05:25 PM
I think some are getting a little different meaning than what I'm trying to relate. What I'm saying is the chamber neck diameter (according to S.A.A.M.I. spec) is .298 at the case mouth and .299 right at the shoulder junction. Now if you were to look at the table of contents, that diameter has a tolerance of +.002 and yet I'm reading about folks having smaller diameters.

And the call-out for the neck diameter is .297 and that's what the factory ammo I have measures.

roger that.

BillPa
07-24-2015, 08:39 PM
I'm reading about folks having smaller diameters.

Part of the problem is who and how they're measuring what with what.

When I attended my first enough to be dangerous course ( aka, Machine shop operation) the instructor passed a 2" long piece bar stock and a mic around for us to measure it. There were nine of us nitwits and I think we came up with at least half dozen different numbers. Some used a light touch on the mic, some cranked down on it like a C clamp!:p

BTW, I'm still not a machinist, no where even close, but I've gotten pretty adapt at making little pieces of useless metal out of what was once a good big piece!:p

The other snafu, the SAAMI specs are voluntary. The members agree to them but not bound to them. And it gets worse when someone specs out a reamer to the minimum tolerances or less then minimum for whatever reason. I have a pre-chambered 250 barrel the manufacturer assured me it was chambered to SAAMI specs, but a stick of brass with a loaded neck OD of .286" is a little hard to stuff in a .283" chamber without the use of a BFH!

Why do I make chamber casts????

Bill

justinp61
07-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Interesting posts. Out of curiosity I went to the shop last night and measured some of my factory nickel cased Federal 260 necks. I measured four of the ten and they all measured .2922" with my mic and .252" with my Miyutoyo (only reads .0005") digital calipers. I'll have to measure my reloads.

I wish I'd known about the LC brass last fall as some of the used Remington brass I bought was junk, loose primer pockets.

LongRange
07-25-2015, 03:08 PM
well all i can say is Matt is one hell of a nice guy...ill be abusing some of his brass here in a week or so and will start a tread....he also turned me on to a custom bullet maker(thanks Matt)that i ordered 100 140g bullets from friday(also a hell of a nice guy)he is also sending me a few 120g and 130g bullets he wants me to shoot and let him know what i think so ill start a thread about the bullets when i get them.

eddiesindian
07-26-2015, 02:05 AM
Interesting posts. Out of curiosity I went to the shop last night and measured some of my factory nickel cased Federal 260 necks. I measured four of the ten and they all measured .2922" with my mic and .252" with my Miyutoyo (only reads .0005") digital calipers. I'll have to measure my reloads.

I wish I'd known about the LC brass last fall as some of the used Remington brass I bought was junk, loose primer pockets.
Wished id of known earlier as well.
I spotted Matts LC in 260 for sale on gun broker after I was discontent with the over priced nosler I just paid good money for.
Matts sent me 20 cases to give a try and try I did. I placed the order for 300 of his brass, loaded them up...hit paydirt with simple 140gr hornady and imr 4350
I now am set with good quality 260 LC brass. Ill use it and wont abuse it. For me?....theres no need to torch the pills out of the tube. Ive always been one to find my accuracy load at semi lower speeds (2750) Im sending rounds out from 200 out to 1200 and hitting my objectives.
I knew that after I started this thread that he would eventually get around to us here at SS.Com.
I wanted to let other reloaders know that there are other alternatives to locate good quality 260 brass.
If I had extra time and patience, I would have just prep,d my once fired LC 308 brass and tuned it into 260...but I don't have the time nor patience. besides, Matts selling his processed brass at a fare price. Id rather give him my money any day rather than give it to these over priced dealers.
Order some up Justin....you wont be disappointed.

LongRange
07-26-2015, 02:36 PM
theres no need to torch the pills out of the tube.

why not?? theres nothing better than wondering if its all going to come apart as your squeezing the trigger!!

just kidding ;) !!

eddiesindian
07-26-2015, 04:28 PM
I sometimes worry about you Dave/Longrange/ R&D Kinda Guy.......... :cool:

Robinhood
10-01-2015, 12:25 AM
Thought I would resurrect this thread. Here is my findings with his 260 LC Brass. Out of 150 pieces I inspected and prepped 75 pieces for load testing. Believing that after all the work done I did not need to check RO as I never have any RO with my other LC brass or any loaded ammo. Not one load I tried would shoot. So I went back and took a look to see if I could find the problem in my cartridges.

I pulled a round that had sat in the chamber for a little too long and one side of the bullet was scraped up. On inspection most if not all of the brass I received had at least .005 neck Run Out. Some had as little as .003 some had as much as .012. Bullet RO near the tip was in access of .025 on several rounds. I found the neck walls to be of consistent thickness.

The real kicker is that 9 out of 10 cases had primer pockets that were unacceptable and caused several failures ruining brass with less than 42 grains of 4350. This was with 139 Scenars loaded long.

For me, these are not worth the effort. I would much rather bump Lapua 243 brass up. It would be cheaper. I wish Grumpa the best but the majority of the product I recieved will be sold as scrap as it is unusable.

foxx
10-01-2015, 12:43 AM
^^^ I hope you give him a chance to correct your issues and get back with us.

Robinhood
10-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Foxx, I was going to mention that I had not given him that chance. If my value as a customer was so poor to deliver a product that was the most inferior I have seen, I am not confident that it is worth the effort to be honest. I did not mention that I had to debur every case. before I ran it through my Redding competition neck sizing die. (That removed .002 on most cases.)

foxx
10-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Foxx, I was going to mention that I had not given him that chance. If my value as a customer was so poor to deliver a product that was the most inferior I have seen, I am not confident that it is worth the effort to be honest. I did not mention that I had to debur every case. before I ran it through my Redding competition neck sizing die. (That removed .002 on most cases.)

I get it. I am hoping there is an explanation, a mix-up of some kind. I bought a couple hundred from him and have not had a chance to inspect them that closely. Perhaps what you got was an unfinished batch or rejects that were not intended to go out? Just doesn't make sense to me.

eddiesindian
10-01-2015, 10:54 AM
I get it. I am hoping there is an explanation, a mix-up of some kind. I bought a couple hundred from him and have not had a chance to inspect them that closely. Perhaps what you got was an unfinished batch or rejects that were not intended to go out? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense to me either......hmmm
I purchased some from him and haven't had any issues.
I primed them, started my load development, found my load, collet sized, some tweaking here and there and ran with them. no issues
I have 4 firings on them.
Im running mine with 41.5 imr 4350 going 2786 with 140gr horn.
I didn't bother to ck run out because I knew full and well that the process of necking down the necks will leave "some" dimensional discrepancies which I wasn't worried about because I was going to fire form them any way.
Sorry to hear that Hood.
Give him a buzz. I sure he,ll make it right.

Robinhood
10-01-2015, 11:13 PM
It's not like the run out was an unknown when he shipped it. Every piece of brass is marked on the low with a marker.