PDA

View Full Version : H4831sc OCW...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

LoneWolf
08-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Practicing my fundamentals before tomorrow's match https://youtu.be/t1-zgjLaW9s

LongRange
08-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Man that action is smooth....my forum is pretty good like i said ive been shooting off this rear bag for months and was having a hell of a time holding steady...one thing i need to work on is trigger pull...i have a tendency to pull to slow.

LoneWolf
08-22-2015, 02:54 PM
I built up the Palm swell with camo taped on my XLR, made a huge difference in consistency.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/22/5a52e23bd8ef804bfee0fa4e1abdde68.jpg

LongRange
08-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Im real comfortable behind the savage stock it fits me well so im hopping the evolution will be as good or better.

GaCop
08-23-2015, 06:38 AM
I've been using Hornady Brass in my 243win. I tumbler it for an hour, deprime and neck size only with a Lee collet die, tumble overnight (gets the primer pockets), then trim with a rcbs trim pro2 with the 3 in 1 cutter bit to 2.035, wipe down, prime with CCI 200's, 41.5hrs of H4350, with a Berger hybrid seated to mag length.

I'm should have the lock load tool today to measure my distance to the lands, but this weekend will be the last match for this barrel. Shoots very well still, but it's about ready for a set back. New barrel should be here today!

Have you had any negative experiences with the Hornady "match" brass? I was loading some for a friend and noticed the primers are crimped like military brass? What's that all about? I ran the brass on my Dillon swagger and still couldn't get primers to seat!

LoneWolf
08-23-2015, 06:40 AM
My virgin 243 brass does not come crimped. I prime on the Lee press. It's the 50th anniversary kit.

Is your stuff once fired factory Hornady ammo? I know the crimp a lot of their factory loads.

LongRange
08-23-2015, 03:38 PM
I went out this morning and shot 15 rounds from the same spot as yesterday but from a more comfortable spot which put me at 1239yds.

and no excuses but just so you guys know...im I'm shooting from a ridge...across a valley...over another lower ridge...across a valley and into a bigger valley.
youll hear in the videos the wind picking up where I'm set up but watch the flags on the targets...the wind calls are tough...I set up the smaller target but never shot at it as I was having a hard enough time with the big one LOL....8 hits outta 15 rounds...pretty sad but improved from yesterday...all 15 rounds shot off a bipod and my hand wearing a welding glove..

https://youtu.be/9YuU3--BE5I

https://youtu.be/fHxNOyr-qIE

https://youtu.be/8Fi_tRF45oQ

Dewey7271
08-27-2015, 12:57 PM
LR,
This is good info. Thank you.
I may have missed it, what glass are you using on your rifle?

yobuck
08-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Are you seeing all of your hits?

LongRange
08-27-2015, 04:42 PM
LR,
This is good info. Thank you.
I may have missed it, what glass are you using on your rifle?

nightforce...ATACR 5-25x56 on my long action and a NXS 8-32x56 on my short action.

Are you seeing all of your hits?

yes...clear as day...but like you say all the time...shooting across valleys and over ridges makes calls tough...the last three videos i posted you can hear in the first one its pretty much calm and by the last 5 rounds its 8-10mph where im shooting from and the flags on the targets are barely moving...so i have no idea whats happening in between me and the targets shooting from a ridge over two valleys and another ridge and into a valley...the other thing is its been about 4 or 5 months since ive shot anything past 650yds...i think a month ago i shot 930yds...but anything inside and up to 1000yds isnt real hard to hold on...you get out past 1100-1200yds and you see just how hard it is to hold..out at 1500-1800yds when your target is smaller than the cross in your scope you REALLY see just how much your moving...a small breath and your a foot off...its a perishable skill...you dont use it and you loose it LOL.

yobuck
08-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Ok now think about this, had the target been the target (animal), and there were non target (animals) nearby,
would you have any concern over a hit on the wrong (animal) based on the experiences youve had and shown to us ?
And, add 500 more yards to what we saw THANKS TO YOU, to make it a cool sounding mile. But hey man i do it all the time with non mag cartridges.
Ill sum that up with one word, BULL****. And these videos should prove that.

LongRange
08-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Ok now think about this, had the target been the target (animal), and there were non target (animals) nearby,
would you have any concern over a hit on the wrong (animal) based on the experiences youve had and shown to us ?
And, add 500 more yards to what we saw THANKS TO YOU, to make it a cool sounding mile. But hey man i do it all the time with non mag cartridges.
Ill sum that up with one word, BULL****. And these videos should prove that.

Im not sure where your going with this buck...inlighten me please.

yobuck
08-27-2015, 08:34 PM
Im not sure where your going with this buck...inlighten me please.

Well it appeared to me as though some of your shots missed the target by feet not inches. And i can appriciate how that can happen even with larger cartridges than you were using.
So at even further distances, that situation multiplies very rapidly with (all) cartridges and is far worse with the smaller ones.
So here we have an above average shooter experiencing these problems, yet others taught how
well they do at even further distances.
And yes, the wind has been known to blow a bullet into a non target animal. But you wont be hearing
any of that talk in the internet barroom. lol

LongRange
08-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Well apeared to me as though some of your shots missed the target by feet not inches. And i can appriciate how that can happen even with larger cartridges than you were using.
So at even further distances, that situation multiplies very rapidly with (all) cartridges and is far worse with the smaller ones.
So here we have an above average shooter experiencing these problems, yet others taught how
well they do at even further distances.
And yes, the wind has been known to blow a bullet into a non target animal. But you wont be hearing
any of that talk in the internet barroom. lol

Well you know me...im not afraid to show the good with the bad....and ive shot from that same exact spot in a 25+mph wind with a 300wm and i think i had 5 hits outta 20 rounds....ive also shot as far as 1845yds with that same 300 and had 2 hits out of 35 rounds fired nothing to brag about but it just proves your point.....i agree...a lotta ppl talk about these ELR shots but fail to mention and show how many shots it took to get there...my best ELR shots to date were at 1500yds...i cold bored and sent 8 more on steel 10th was a miss and so were the next 10 after the barrel cooled...i shot several more times at that 1500yd spot and NEVER had another cold bore shot on steel.
Like ive said before...i dont believe any of what i hear and 99% of what i see lol!!

yobuck
08-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Exactly, it all sounds easy, but its even easier to envision doing it than actually doing it.
How high was your bullet at the high point in the trajectory? Maybe 50 ft up in the air?
What was the wind speed up there? I sit here and watch the wind blow in several diferent
directions within a few hundred yards on a regular basis. My flag is blowing one way
and the branches and leaves across the road are blowing another. And the large buzzards
and hawks are cruising the valleys without ever flapping their wings.
But hey man this little device right here will solve all those problems. lol

LongRange
08-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Exactly, it all sounds easy, but its even easier to envision doing it than actually doing it.
How high was your bullet at the high point in the trajectory? Maybe 50 ft up in the air?
What was the wind speed up there? I sit here and watch the wind blow in several diferent
directions within a few hundred yards on a regular basis. My flag is blowing one way
and the branches and leaves across the road are blowing another. And the large buzzards
and hawks are cruising the valleys without ever flapping their wings.
But hey man this little device right here will solve all those problems. lol

when i shot the 1845 at one point the wind was about 7mph at me and looked about the same at my targets(according to the flags)i shot and it was a nice clean break....elevation was about perfect but the impact was aprox 15ft right as best i could tell trying to range it...shooting out across a big open area with the wind is one thing...shooting in or across valleys and over ridges is a whole other story.

LongRange
08-30-2015, 02:43 PM
1005yds today...when I was setting up my targets it was dead calm and by the time I got to my spot and set up its was blow about 15mph left to right...in between strings the wind changed to right to left...

first group...JMB called for 24.5 moa elevation and was dead on...first shot I was holding 4moa left...second shot was 5moa left shot 3 was 7moa left and hit low left...shot 3 I came up 1/2moa and held 7moa left...shot 5 I went back to 24.5moa and 7moa left...not sure what happened to 6...7 was on....

https://youtu.be/QvHkxsdRhW4

group 2...this is where the wind changed...shot 1 2 3 and 4 are 24.5moa elev and holding 2moa right shot 5 was holding 5moa right..,

https://youtu.be/dqKAUIX5VnY

id rather not talk about this group LOL...shooting at the 6" target...

https://youtu.be/J9-sBWpEcso

last 5 rounds....not sure if I pulled shot 4 or if it was wind....holding 6moa right...the wind was really blowing where I was shooting from...

https://youtu.be/5rawPCNoeRw