PDA

View Full Version : Witnessed a near tragedy at range.

Pages : 1 [2]

Bolthead
10-28-2015, 12:35 PM
By the time you replace the bolt and related components, and pay to have the action inspected (including magnaflux) a new complete rifle would be cheaper.

J.Baker
10-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Guess I'll throw the pics of my .204 Ruger Belted Magnum up again...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/Gun%20Stuff/204Brass4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/Gun%20Stuff/204Brass1.jpg

This pretty much caused a similar event as mentioned in the original post minus the damaged bolt head and BAS screw threads. Where the case rim is blown out in the second photo is the area that pushed out into the extractor slot in the bolt head, pushing the extractor outward accordingly. That portion of the case head was actually retaining the spring and detent ball, and the extractor was pushed out far enough to prevent the bolt from being able to turn. Ejector was jammed back in it's pocket as you would expect. Had to disassemble the bolt in the rifle and then pop the case out with a cleaning rod. Primer was not pierced.

Still not sure what happened with this one as I was loading 40gr V-max's with 28.2 grains of Varget, which is a compressed load and just 0.1 grain over published max. I didn't get any pressure signs with this load when doing my ladder test, and I'd shot several groups with this same load just prior to shooting this round. I can only presume that I had a bit of powder hang up in my powder measure from the previous round that caused this one to be slightly over. Given the size of Varget and it already being a compressed load you would think I would have noticed the powder sitting slightly higher in the neck if that were the case, but maybe not.

MCrab67
10-28-2015, 04:19 PM
I just read this. Savage actions are lower priced than others but, I would say that they'll hold up. I've shot some pretty "hot" loads through my old 111 in 7mm Rem and its held up pretty good over the years. Agree with several statements given. Someone will get their face blown off by not just checking their rifle over once in awhile. If you don't know what to look for, find someone who does. Same with reloading. Max recommended loads are just that, not a starting point. Take a class, buy a book, do something but, do it safe. You not only put yourself at risk but, could potentially put others there as well.

LongRange
10-28-2015, 04:19 PM
maybe a big internal case capacity difference JB?

big honkin jeep
10-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Serious over pressure like this (if that's the case) sounds like possibly more than one powder on the bench, in the thrower, or trickler.
Or maybe some of the wrong stuff made it's way back into the container and then into the case due to sloppy reloading practices or other negligence.
Just a theory, but a sure way to tear up equipment/blow yourself up.
A rifle sized charge of the wrong powder especially pistol powder or even a blend is a case full of sho nuff dangerous.

Mach2
10-28-2015, 08:03 PM
These are all good reasons why I would never shoot someone else's reloads.

LOL!

I have a friend who loads everything to the max. One time he was firing off the bench and I was standing behind him. Powder particles were hitting my face.
He has a S&W 460 and he blew the front sight off with hot loads. Some guys are fricken crazy with reloads.

schnyd112
10-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Pistols, especially revolvers, can get scary quick. Sometimes the shooter doesn't notice because the particles/lead clear him and hit the guy next to or behind. I have been next to guys shooting revolvers and found burns on my face and arms when I got home. Guys shaving lead from an over pressured/ poorly timed revolver are not fun to shoot next to.

Sorry to go off topic, but I agree that even a little pistol powder could turn a max load into a bomb.

sharpshooter
10-29-2015, 12:29 AM
Nothing about the rifle caused that, it was all in the cartridge. Whether it was an overload, or a faulty case, it behaved like it should. Firing pins do not pierce primers, over pressure loads "blanks" primers, resulting in high pressure gases that escape rearward. The gas that is not vented off through the vent holes goes straight back through the bolt, compressing the firing pin spring all the way down to solid height, in the process breaks the cocking sleeve washer and leaves a tattletale soot deposit on everything on the inside of the bolt. I've seen this many, many times and usually replacing the bolt parts is an easy fix. If the barrel comes off with no difficulty, I would check to see if the lug abutments are set back. Enough to make a shallow "foot print" usually only takes about .0015 to clean up.
That's what I call a "minor" malfunction, a "catastrophic" malfunction is easier to identify. If the front baffle is in more than one piece, the receiver is compromised.

yew plucker
10-29-2015, 06:23 PM
" I have a hard time believing a magnum primer could result in a 20,000+ PSI spike in pressure."

I agree. It don't make sense. The guy probably used the wrong powder. Then looked up and said something dumb like, "Uh... Magnum Primer...?"

LoneWolf
10-29-2015, 07:27 PM
" I have a hard time believing a magnum primer could result in a 20,000+ PSI spike in pressure."

I agree. It don't make sense. The guy probably used the wrong powder. Then looked up and said something dumb like, "Uh... Magnum Primer...?"
Best comment lol?

Txhillbilly
11-02-2015, 01:06 AM
A Magnum primer wouldn't cause that to happen. More than likely there was a powder problem,either way over charged or a wrong powder for the cartridge.

orcldba
11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Magnum primer? No way!
How much you want to bet the loading manual was open to the 243 WSSM, NOT the 243 WIN. That is, if he wasn't going from an on-line resource that is. That would give about 10-15% more powder capacity, and much much much higher pressures in the 243 WIN case.

Even than, how would you get that much powder in the case, unless he was using 748 or 760. :o

Jamie
11-02-2015, 04:29 PM
There is a lot of reloaders that are running proof or close to proof loads because they believe the books are lawyered down and they are smarter than the people with PhD's that work for chemical corporations. Add that 12K psi extra that J.B. was talking about and it is entirely possible. I have actually had a fellow state that he "got extractor marks at 80 grains but things didn't get really bad until 84 grains" so he backed off to 83 grains and called it good.

Now the reality is, it could be quite a few reasons but a magnum primer on an already over pressure load could do this.