PDA

View Full Version : about to get started reloading

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

barrel-nut
11-03-2015, 12:39 AM
what about the Hornady lock n load trimming station. I saw a hand crank trimmer, now Ill have to go back and find it. Think it had a micrometer of sorts on it. Cant tell from the pic but was wondering if the Horady has some sort of measuring capability or ability to set the amount of trim.

Not sure about the lock n load trimming station, but my hand crank trimmer from Hornady has no micrometer. It does sort of insinuate that it is "micro-adjustable", but has no measurement capability or markings on it. Not user-friendly in my opinion. This is it:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315831/hornady-cam-lock-case-trimmer-kit

doctnj
11-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Ok bought the co ax. And three sets of s series competition two die sets for above mentioned calibers. Im sure there is a bushing "kit" for all available bushing thicknesses. Had to start somewhere.

Now looking at trimmers a little harder. The LE wilson hand crank brags about micrometer adjustment but reviews show its hard to get cases in and out of it. Second on the list is the Forster original case trimmer. Trying to decide which one would be better. I want to be able to have repeatable lengths that are perfect.

Of course this means buying the lyman power center that does all the other functions the trimmer does not.

Any feedback on those two trimmers please?

I, at least right now, dont mind hand cranking for perfection. After 100 rounds I might feel differently.

LongRange
11-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Ok bought the co ax. And three sets of s series competition two die sets for above mentioned calibers. Im sure there is a bushing "kit" for all available bushing thicknesses. Had to start somewhere.

Now looking at trimmers a little harder. The LE wilson hand crank brags about micrometer adjustment but reviews show its hard to get cases in and out of it. Second on the list is the Forster original case trimmer. Trying to decide which one would be better. I want to be able to have repeatable lengths that are perfect.

Of course this means buying the lyman power center that does all the other functions the trimmer does not.

Any feedback on those two trimmers please?

I, at least right now, dont mind hand cranking for perfection. After 100 rounds I might feel differently.

as ive said several times the LE wilson is the best trimmer made...every cut is exact...you can also get a power adapter for it if you want as well as a carbide cutter...ive had mine for a little over 7yrs and have trimmed at least 20,000-30,000 cases with the tool steel cutter and it still cuts about as fast as it did new...i can trim 100 cases in about 30-40 minutes by hand so im not sure who thinks its hard to get cases in or out.

this is the one i have...
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/case-trimming/case-trimmers/stainless-ultimate-trimmer-prod39292.aspx

doctnj
11-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Would you suggest the lyman automated center for all the other functions like deburring etc?

also something like charge master or other automated charging device.

wow I am throwing out some coin!!! just ordered tumbler, separator, neck lube, primer flipper tray, tumbler medium.

trying to gather up all the prep stuff first so I can get started on that.

Have several more questions but will watch some videos first

doctnj
11-03-2015, 11:04 AM
is there any additional attachments I will need with the le Wilson trimmer to work with 260 rem, 6.5 CM, or 338 Lapua. Not getting a real solid answer from brownells

justinp61
11-03-2015, 11:57 AM
I've been loading shot gun shells for many years and pistol shells off and on for probably 20 years. I was given a Lee pro 1000 that I use for my 44 mag and 40 S&W.

I started rifle loading about five years ago after buying my 22-250. I bought a bunch of used stuff from a guy that was moving, an (ancient) rockchucker, forster trimmer, rcbs powder measures, 40 dies and a bunch of brass and a bunch if odds and ends. I then bought standard RCBS 22-250 dies and later a used RCBS micrometer seater die. Later I bought my 260 so I bought a standard set of RCBS 260 dies also. Instead of buying another micrometer seater die for the 260 I bought the seater stem and bushing for the 260, this way I use the same body for both calibers.

My 22-250 shoots fantastic, the 260 I'm still working on. What you are looking to do with your rifles will decide the quality you need. My rifles punch a little paper but are hunting rifle so I don't need the high dollar dies or presses. My $.02.

doctnj
11-03-2015, 01:35 PM
First want to apologize for asking questions that have already been answered. Just dealing with a wave of information and missed some of the suggestions the first time through or just zeroed in on the couple things I was in process purchasing at the moment.

doctnj
11-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Yeah Justin. These three rifles are my precision rifles. I have a safe full of hunting rifles and only pull them out when the hunting condition exists where I need a particular approach. Off the shelf ammo for those work just fine. One other that I will probably reload is pre 64 Winchester 300 mag h and h. That is because the collector I bought it from also gave me dies and brass and load info that Ive kept for years.

LongRange
11-03-2015, 04:05 PM
is there any additional attachments I will need with the le Wilson trimmer to work with 260 rem, 6.5 CM, or 338 Lapua. Not getting a real solid answer from brownells

just the case holders for each caliber.

doctnj
11-03-2015, 05:24 PM
quick question. Im down to comparators. Can I get the rcbs micrometer comparators in place of all the pieces of hornady comparators and accomplish the same thing? I of course would still get the overall length gauge that goes in the action. Wondering if I can forgo all the bushing anchor parts.

And just my luck I can not find a 6.5 creedmoor modified case anywhere

LongRange
11-03-2015, 06:01 PM
id get the hornady comparators...the RCBS are spendy and you need one for each caliber...the hornadys you can buy just a body and the inserts you need.

you can make your own mod case out of a once fired case.

doctnj
11-03-2015, 06:08 PM
so the bullet, headspace, and overall length correct?

LongRange
11-03-2015, 06:43 PM
http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Hornady-Lock-N-Load-Bullet-Comparator-Small.jpg

you need the straight piece on the bottom of the pic...the body which is attached to the calipers and the inserts for your calibers which are the round pieces at next to the ammo box and yes the head space gauge/tool like in the link for each caliber...

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gauge-tool-prod35168.aspx

barrel-nut
11-03-2015, 09:22 PM
http://ultimatereloader.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Hornady-Lock-N-Load-Bullet-Comparator-Small.jpg

you need the straight piece on the bottom of the pic...the body which is attached to the calipers and the inserts for your calibers which are the round pieces at next to the ammo box and yes the head space gauge/tool like in the link for each caliber...

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/hornady-lock-n-load-headspace-gauge-tool-prod35168.aspx

^ that's the stuff right there

LongRange
11-03-2015, 09:42 PM
And i almost forget....sizing lube...ive used most including imperial and the liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol is by far the best ive used...easy and cheap to make and wipes off with a dry rag.

doctnj
11-03-2015, 09:52 PM
ok good I ordered all that. I used your link and it brought up the thick or I should say tall head space gauges similar to the short bullet comparators on the table. But needless to say I got it all. I found a creedmoor modified case on amazon for the same price I paid for the others at midway.

I think I basically have everything on order to do all the prep work and get all my, well those three calibers anyway, ready for reloading.
Going to let my card cool off for a couple days before I go for scales, bullets, primers, and powder. On second thought I wont have a bullet so I cant measure the action. Oh well. gotta burn the card.

Thanks again everyone for helping me deny my children college money lol.

doctnj
11-03-2015, 10:37 PM
http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/doctnj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151102_212557.jpg.html?filters[user]=128067583&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Bench just waiting for stuff.

LongRange
11-04-2015, 08:58 AM
your link dont work...right click the box in the lower right corner on photo bucket and come here and right click and paste.

doctnj
11-04-2015, 09:15 AM
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/doctnj/Mobile%20Uploads/20151102_212557.jpg

try again. Figured out what I did.

Went ahead and ordered the charge master to try. we will see.

So one more time. FL re sizing wont kill the brass soon? My plan is to use primarily lapua and or nosler brass. Dont know if you have shot any nosler custom competition cartridges, but they are very nice looking. Even the case stamp looks better than almost any Ive seen. The rounds almost look to nice to shoot! Thought I would shoot those and cycle the brass.

LongRange
11-04-2015, 10:21 AM
no FL sizing does not kill brass...i have 7 loads on my lapua in my long action 260 all FL sized every time...pressure kills brass not sizing.
your going to get a lot of mixed reviews on nosler brass...i did some testing with it and posted a thread here and i wasnt kind to the barss and it held up very well but lapua is THE KING of brass....a 100pcs will last as long as your barrel if not hot rodded real hard and if you anneal them

nice bench but the fluorescent lighting might play hell with your charge master.