PDA

View Full Version : about to get started reloading

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

doctnj
11-04-2015, 10:59 AM
How is the lighting an issue? Ill switch if needed. All of my 338 ammo is loaded in lapua brass. Have somewhere around 200 maybe more. Some shot some loaded. Going to be doing some load development on both the 260 and 6.5. At least with the 6.5 been shooting factory stuff over chrony and documenting all results to better know where to start a true ladder test.

Again you have been invaluable. This is beginning to be a GREAT list. It should be compiled as a sticky

LongRange
11-04-2015, 01:11 PM
they say...i dont know for sure...that fluorescent lighting effects digital scales. and your better off shooting an OCW test for the 6.5...heres the link follow it to a T and i bet you find a load in 25-30 rounds...start with your seating depth at .025 off the lands....and make sure you read and understand the instructions.

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/ocw-instructions/4529817134

copy and paste not sure why link isnt working.

bythebook
11-04-2015, 03:37 PM
The fluorescent lighting some how really effects dig. scales. I got mine back from the mfg. after checkup and about 10K rounds loaded with it. When I set it up where I had moved the desk to that I used it on it wouldn't settle down and was over then under 1 to 8 or 9 grains. I moved it again and put a regular lamp on and it has been working great for about 5 years now.

doctnj
11-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Well the lights are LED any how. Not fluorescent. Hope that doesnt have the same effect. I would guess an EMF put off by maybe the ballast of the fluorescent light. Extremely little shielding on all electrical connections in those things. Ive been systematically switching my entire house over to LED. Not much guilt for leaving the lights on. Still hard to pay 10 bucks for a light bulb.

Now a reloading question. I think most everything I need or at least can think of for now is on its way and I started looking at powder, primers, and brass. For my 338 all of my brass is already lapua a little less than half has only been fired once so Im good there. I want to use H1000 powder for the 338 only because I have read several people post about that being the go to powder for that caliber. I cant find large Match magnum primers?

Basically I cant seem to find everything at one place. Cant find ANY lapua 6.5 Creedmoor. Havent looked too hard for 260 lapua yet. I thought I might ask if there is a good place that has everything or is it buy it as you can find it? I guess that is my main question.

LongRange
11-04-2015, 10:32 PM
http://gunbot.net/

Look here under reloading....with the creed your stuck using hornady brass...and dont worry about match primers just use cci 250s or fed 215s

Kadams1563
11-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Lapua doesn't make creed brass. They support their own 6.5 caliber. Hornady is the easiest creed brass to get.

doctnj
11-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Well in that case I already have 100 6.5 hornady currently loaded with berger hybrids. The problem with them however is I was only getting 1 moa groups at 100yrds and the low priced winchester were straight half moa every time. I cant seem to get Chad at dallas custom reloads to tell me his load that he put together for those rounds.

Kadams1563
11-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Are you in Texas? The plan I'm taking is buy factory Hornady and shoot that to get my brass. Then start reloading once I have about 600 cases. I don't know why but I 600 is my number of rounds I want for this rifle. The AR is 2k and pistol is about the same lol.

doctnj
11-04-2015, 11:24 PM
what powder other than h1000 for the 338 would you suggest. and a powder that would be a good place to start testing the bullet on the 338 will be 300 gr smk, and the 260 and creed will be 140 gr smk as well

hafejd30
11-04-2015, 11:29 PM
338 with 300 smk - Retumbo if you can find it. RE 33 is what I use in mine because Retumbo wasn't t available

H4350 for the 260 is what I use

doctnj
11-05-2015, 08:17 AM
Ok thanks on the powder info. Went with berger on the 6.5 and smk for 338 300 gr. Have only shot Berger in the 338 since Ive owned it but have heard many say go with smk so I made the switch. Have shot both berger and smk in the CM platform but too new there to make up my mind. Besides honestly neither one has had a tuned load go through it. That is what this journey is all about. Tired of leaving my loads up to someone else. After getting bullets, primers and powder for both loads it was pretty pricey so I only picked up 3 lbs of both powders for now. Will be enough to get started anyhow.

doctnj
11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Except for Magnum rifle primers, everything has been purchased. This includes , trays, collet style bullet pullers, etc. Just wanted to give a cash total for someone wanting to get into it. Also dies for three calibers and supplies to reload modestly 2 of those calibers.

Total was right at 2500.00 including the bench and lighting.

LongRange
11-05-2015, 12:11 PM
this is why i try to tell ppl to buy the best they can because if you dont it cost more in the long run....i am willing to bet i have spent 3 times that much since ive started reloading.

hafejd30
11-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Same reason I tell people "don't get into it to save money" by the time you recouped initial cost you have spent that again on other supplies to reload. Expensive circle

sixonetonoffun
11-05-2015, 01:58 PM
You all are so far down the rabbit hole!

I have to admit some of the goodies ya all are acquiring make sense. But for the average guy who wants to get started hand tools and some creativity can build .5-.75 accurate ammo.

hafejd30
11-05-2015, 04:58 PM

I have to admit some of the goodies ya all are acquiring make sense. But for the average guy who wants to get started hand tools and some creativity can build .5-.75 accurate ammo.

Agreed. That's what I started with. But your always looking to improve or make the job easier (electronic case prep or trimming etc). Especially if you load a high volume.

Robinhood
11-05-2015, 05:58 PM
I cant seem to get Chad at dallas custom reloads to tell me his load that he put together for those rounds.

Chad uses canister grade powder as far as I know so pull a couple apart and weigh the powder. If you don't know what it is post a pic. The projectiles are not a secret.

doctnj
11-05-2015, 08:19 PM
I am down the rabbit hole a bit. But if you read my intro, this was my personal goal. I wanted to start where I would like to be. When I reloaded years ago, I didn't even have a scale. Just scoops. The supply house gave me a powder and corresponding volume scoops . Quite primative. I had one set of dies and a Lee press. Probably had 200 bucks in it. I guess it's a character defect that when I get into something I get into it!

LongRange
11-05-2015, 08:39 PM

I agree but not everyone is happy with a 1/2"-3/4" group that just continues to get bigger the farther you shoot them...and i bet if you took a poll on reloading equipment with money being no object 99% of the ppl polled would say they would buy the best equipment on the market...including yourself lol.

sixonetonoffun
11-05-2015, 11:40 PM
I hear ya guys. Took me more time to load 50 rounds today then I would have liked but... I am satisfied with the result.