PDA

View Full Version : about to get started reloading

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

doctnj
11-16-2015, 08:14 AM
The issue is this. I was loading some basic sammi loads to use in break in of my new 260. I was loading them a bit warm but still a grain and a half below max, or so I thought. I was 20 or so rounds into the box when I noticed I had my nosler book open by mistake. I thought well no problem Ill just cross check berger and bam. It showed I was .3 grains over max load for that bullet. Now comes the decision.... do I pull them? I will finish the box out with the lower adjusted powder weight I changed to after finding this error and use these max loads as a part of a ladder test later on.

I just wanted to bring this up so that other new reloaders understand that a particular charge is in relation to the bullet used. A 140 gr, is not just a 140gr, is not just a 140 gr, but specifically a berger hybrid 140 gr with its associated max load.

LongRange
11-16-2015, 08:59 AM
how far off the lands are you with the over charge loads?

doctnj
11-16-2015, 09:06 PM
They are brand new lapua brass and are .006 short of trim to length and need to be fired so they can stretch a little. I set the bullet about the same .006 off the lands so seating depth is same.

The reason I was going a bit warm on break in rounds is its a Bartlien barrel and those guys claim the barrel doesnt need to be broken in. Im going to do an abbreviated break in of 30 rounds, you know shoot one clean one x 5, shoot 5 clean one etc.

the load is 260 rem, 140 gr hybrid, lapua brass, h4350 41.5 gr so its .3 too hot.

LongRange
11-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Doc if your worried about the .3g over just seat the bullet to .020 off the lands and shoot them. Also what are you gauging your trim length off of? Most books list min trim length at 2.025 and max at 2.035...if i remember correctly nosler lists max at 2.036...most lapua brass comes outta the box at 2.028.

doctnj
11-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Well that explains it!!! See you teach me several things per day. You will be on my Christmas card list! Did not realize the trim to number was the minimum. I had it figured as being the max. Ok well that makes the math work. It would be nice for novices like myself if they put the range on the page. However, once I do fire them Ill be setting up for my rifle specifically. Im going to go back through all my reference material and see if/where they discuss min/max range. Come to think of it, I did see a video that discussed sammi ranges. Sorry sage.

LongRange
11-17-2015, 09:02 AM
i trim mine to 2.028 and is what has worked well in my rifles.

BillPa
11-17-2015, 09:50 AM
It would be nice for novices like myself if they put the range on the page. I'm going to go back through all my reference material and see if/where they discuss min/max range.

Print a copy of this and keep it handy for quick reference. http://images1.opticsplanet.com/pdf/opplanet-rcbs-trim-shell-holder-ref-chart-pdf.pdf

Bill

doctnj
11-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks that is a concise list.

I wrote out a review on the chargemaster at lunch today as a new thread but it never showed up.

Anyone else having an issue with or seeing static cling in the powder? Somewhere in the process some of the powder is picking up a charge. It sticks to the walls of the main powder holder in the back and on inside of case neck. Im sure they cling to each other possibly causing overcharges when the clump falls from the feeder tube.

LongRange
11-17-2015, 10:12 PM
You need to wipe the entire unit down with a used dryer sheet including the inside of the hopper.

doctnj
11-18-2015, 07:19 AM
See! I knew there was an answer.

I used the ultra sonic cleaner for the first time last night. Its the cheap y from harbor freight that strangely similar to hornady's. It worked just fine. The only complaint is the short run time and having to continue to turn it on over and over. I cleaned 60 338 lapua brass and it did great. Other than the slight weird orange tint they are clean inside and out.

And lastly the "annealeez" is ordered. Might as well. It looks like a fine unit. They are about a week and a half to two weeks backed up right now. Without the fear of running out, I will definitely be shooting much more so I will need to anneal and I want to do it right and this machine makes it easy.

What die sets do you reccomend for military brass. Specifically 556 and 762. Ill add that later this winter after I run out of things to do. I have piles needing to be reloaded. Been saving that brass for a couple years. When there is snow and ice on the ground I cant get to my range. Its way down in a valley with a steep windy gravel road that is sketchy even dry. So when football stops and there is no nascar either Ill need something to do!!

folmonty
11-30-2015, 05:44 PM
You need to wipe the entire unit down with a used dryer sheet including the inside of the hopper.

Thanks LongRange, always wondered how to eliminate this problem. Also a PITA when changing powders, the stuff sticks. Now there's yet another use for those Bounce sheets besides shoes, sleeping bags, helmets and anything else that needs to smell good!

doctnj
12-05-2015, 03:32 PM
So I go through doing a ladder test a thou or so off the lands, single feed. Then just max out the length in the mag and find another accuracy node there once again? I am pretty sure I know the answer to that question but I just have to hear someone else say it. Just kind of feeling like I should have worked this problem in reverse. I guess in pure accuracy situations the single feed has its place. Then knowing the load work up for mag feed will be good for prs type situations. Right? right.

doctnj
12-05-2015, 04:28 PM
That being said how short of the edge of the mag would you guess you seat your bullet for best feeding?

LongRange
12-05-2015, 05:11 PM
i dont ever feed from a mag but as far as the ladder test...shoot an OCW test instead of the ladder...much easier to find a load...i start at .025 off the lands find the higher charge that shoots the best and then adjust seating .010 each way and see if it tightens up...if it does go .005 at a time...you should find a load in 30 to 40 rounds.
the OCW instructions say you will get 3 groups that measure out pretty much the same and to go with the one in middle...in both my 260s the higher charge weights worked out best for me...in the OCW test in my long action shot a .292.5 group and ive been shooting it since...the new rifle shot a clover leaf group....010 deeper and i was done.

after you find a load that shoots 1 hole at a 100yds shoot it at 3-500yds to make sure it holds together...both of my loads did.

follow the instructions http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/ocw-instructions/4529817134