PDA

View Full Version : This guy is dangerous

Pages : 1 [2]

bdz65
01-25-2016, 11:01 PM
If your loads shoot well enough and you don't mind buying new brass more often than necessary, you may do fine without ever annealing a piece of brass. On the other hand, you could try it and see if you get better groups due to more consistent neck tension.

This right here! To get consistent neck tension, I feel you need consistent brass hardness, in the neck.

I am no expert but I do know I worked with a 270 all summer. I annealed every 3-4 reloadings and the 15 cases I started with are on their 8th reloading. I use a Redding full length die with their shell holder set, which allows me to customize how far I bump the shoulder back. I also use the Hornady headspace gauge to verify I am using the shell holder which only bumps the shoulder back .001" - .002" from the fire formed length. So far no cracked necks, I am confident if I didn't anneal and bumped the shoulder the full .007" a standard shell holder would do, my brass would not have made it to 8 reloadings! Finally I have been using the Redding competition bullet seater. This combination produces ammo that reliably shoots 1.375" @ 200 yards, maybe not overly impressive but I am very happy.

When I get my 308 back from Savage I plan to experiment with using the Lee collet die and only full length size, with minimal shoulder bump every 3-4 reloadings. I will be starting with Laupa brass and plan to continue annealing every 4 reloadings.