PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with varmint barreled rifle?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

DanSavage
03-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Heavy barrel steady hold,, less kick also.

Balljoint
03-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Why not change out the barrel for deer season after all it's a Savage

DanSavage
03-30-2016, 09:42 PM
I do,, to my one shot, one kill barrel.

It's the Shaw Varmint .308

yobuck
03-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Why not change out the barrel for deer season after all it's a Savage

Where in Pa do you hunt deer Balljoint?

Balljoint
03-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Deer hunt in the northeastern area of the state, mainly in the Tobyhanna area.

yobuck
03-31-2016, 09:58 PM
Deer hunt in the northeastern area of the state, mainly in the Tobyhanna area.

Don't take what I'm going to say personaly, because I can assure you thats not the intent. I wasent surprised by your answer,
in fact I had a premonition of what it would be. I was born in Philly, and at age 3 in 1938, my parents moved to Trevose in Bucks co.
About as close to Philly as its possible to get and still live in the suberbs. My father comuted to Philly to work at that time.
He was born in 1906, and had done very little deer hunting in his youth before marriage. Those who did hunt deer as a rule went from Philly by train in those days. During the depression years and the war years with gas rationing, very few people traveled very far to hunt.
However in 1946 after the war, he was taken by a friend to a place the guy had hunted as a young man in Lycoming county. The next year, 1947 I was 12 and went with them. We hunted there for about 5 years before moving still further north to where I still hunt. All the while being questioned by friends as to why we went as far as we did just to hunt deer. As you know, it was an all day trip to get from Trevose to Cameron co. in those days. Mind you ive known guys who would rather hunt Bucks county than anywhere. But your comment on the barrel was a give away question for me. If you've never been to the north central region of the state, and seen first hand the vastness of the area and the type of terrain it offers you should do so. Especially if you've not seen the elk up close and personal either. God willing I will be there by early July and will remain there till late Dec. The elk start bugeling as a rule by late August which is a thrill to hear if you've never done so. They could be as close as the front yard when they do all thru the night. Let me know if your interested. By the time you leave the answer for the barrel will be more understandable.

wbm
04-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Sometimes I do wonder if there is some crazy soul that had at any time shot one of them high power lines....

Guilty.

lrshooting
04-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Depends on what you are use to. I started hunting when I wasnt even the double digits of age. I always carried a full size 223 R700 sps varmint rifle with a bipod. I got use to it. I killed many many deer with it. We use have unlimited antlerless permits here in MO and I might go through 15-25 deer a year.

Now I'm carrying a 17-18 pound 7mm SAUM. It took me the first week to get use to the weight but after that it was fine. I have a couple mile long route that I walk two or three times a season around the farm plus just everyday walking or checking fields. I hesitate to carry a 5000$ rifle in the combine with me so I don't take it then.

So really it just depends on what your use too and your strength level. I'm about 5' 10" and 190 lbs so I'm built somewhat stockier then some. Plus I'm young and dumb and don't know any better than to carry that much weight around.

wbm
04-02-2016, 04:31 PM
By the time you leave the answer for the barrel will be more understandable.
Indeed it will. Cameron county Pennsylvania looks very much like Watauga County North Carolina where I was raised. Beautiful! Steep terrain, Laurel and Rhododendron thickets and long days afield will make a man wish he had a short barreled 2 pound rifle.

yobuck
04-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Indeed it will. Cameron county Pennsylvania looks very much like Watauga County North Carolina where I was raised. Beautiful! Steep terrain, Laurel and Rhododendron thickets and long days afield will make a man wish he had a short barreled 2 pound rifle.

We get to soon old, and too late smart.
That's an old PA dutch expression, of which there are many.
Sit on one of those steep hills watching, as those (skilled individuals) on the opposite
side of the valley, unknowingly have deer make fools of them, might have you
wanting to trade that 2 pounder for a 20 pounder. lol