PDA

View Full Version : Results with Bart's 105's in the 6br

Pages : 1 [2]

DanSavage
01-15-2016, 11:59 PM
I'm pulling for you so keep us posted!

our season starts next month and I finally made master class the last match of last year. I bought 100 Alco bullets last year and shot 18 of them and they are very impressive so I need to play with them a little more but at 85 cents apiece I'm not sure I'm going to shoot them or not...when I get my other barrel re-chambered for the 260 AI I'm going to shoot the other 82 and see what I can get them to do...I know the faster I shot them the better they grouped and the maker claims a 715 BC from a 140g bullet.

Holy crap! that is an expensive bullet, but sounds like an incredible one too! .715 is serious stuff and out of a 260 AI it should be able to make it half way around the world!

We start our match's in April. The results of the three local match's I shoot in are posted at the Sniper's Hide under the Local Match section. I post the results for the Springwater shoot, and the Hilltop shoot, and Tony L. takes care of the Towanda P.A. shoot. My buddy bought a Ruger precision .308 and thinks he's going to stomp me this year! I wasn't impressed when I saw the hand gaurd or barrel shroud flex so much that it bumps the scope. It might not be as bad if his bi pod wasn't mounted all the way to the front. I already know my Savages will leave the ruger in the dust.

LongRange
01-16-2016, 06:39 AM
Don't say that over on the hide you might get jumped lol.

i have no idea if the 715 BC is true just going off what I was told...I know there was a big debate over on LRH about it.

yobuck
01-16-2016, 12:23 PM
What do you use on the bags to make the gun slide nice?
Some friends who shoot Williamsport tell me dryer sheets work well.

DanSavage
01-16-2016, 02:01 PM
What do you use on the bags to make the gun slide nice?
Some friends who shoot Williamsport tell me dryer sheets work well.

I usually use baby powder, but yesterday I didn't use anything, it seems to slide just fine in the wood. It doesn't slide back much more than 2 inches. A lot of guys I know use some kind of tape stuff from Sinclair in the butt part of the gun.

DanSavage
01-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Don't say that over on the hide you might get jumped lol.

i have no idea if the 715 BC is true just going off what I was told...I know there was a big debate over on LRH about it.

I know, I need to get over to the hide and start bashing the new ruger. All I ever see is an occasional group Frank post's up and never a 10 shot group.
For that money you could build a much more accurate Savage.

I'll be back I'm going over to the hide to stir thing's up. lol

DanSavage
01-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Seem's like the Ruger is ok, for a production rifle,, but it will never be very competitive with out modifications.

eddiesindian
01-16-2016, 10:18 PM
awe hell yes!..thats what Im talking about. with eabco barrel as well!....wow!
ive heard good things about those barrels as well.
My model 10 FCP in a HS stock chambered in 308 is getting tired. Ive thought about rebarreling and going 6br but hadn't done it yet.
Ya dun did it now Dan!.........
Dan!..you da man!
great shooting!

DanSavage
01-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Thanks eddiesindian,, I am hesitant to recommend a EABCO accuracy barrel mainly because of the lack of review's. I did get a good one though. One thing I like about it is that it is chrome moly, so the metal is a little stronger than SS, and maybe it will last longer than normal. The finish is absolutely perfect bluing on the out side with out one single scratch or flaw. I have a Shilen Select .308 with slight chatter chamber job direct from shilen. A Mcgowen .223 that came with a hair line scratch from the outside edge of the crown directly to the bore,, not a straight scratch and not enough to effect accuracy but still. A ER Shaw .308 recieved in perfect condition from Midway even though it had slid out of the package inside the box.

I bought the EABCO barrel because it was cheap and I wanted to get into the 6BR game, and had planned on buying an expensive one down the road,, there is no need for that for a while!lol I'ts as accurate as my loads and bugger hook.

eddiesindian
01-16-2016, 11:56 PM
well, your defently in the 6br game. im curious what your speeds are

DanSavage
01-17-2016, 03:36 AM
The rough speed of a load using 29 grain's of varget and a 107 SMK is around 2700 fps based on drop and dope configured at 1000 yards. I did take that load up to 31.5 grain's of varget with no pressure signs and it still shot real well even while jammed a good amount, but I never took it past 100 yards to verify the drop to get velocity.

The Hornady 105 load is faster as confirmed at 1000 yards around 2820 and seem's to shoot around 1/2MOA out there but it can shoot some screamer's if you shoot fast before any conditions change, like the one 7/8" 3 shot group I got with it my first time shooting that distance. The high power scope is the ticket,, along with the very mild recoil I could fire and watch for the hole to appear on the white painted 55 gallon drum top I cut off and hung up for a target, (with no mirage of course).

I won't know the speed's for the Bart's bullet's until Spring when the weather is nicer. I could use a chrono my neighbor has but I'm sick of setting those things up. To me it doesn't matter much because I'm certain it will glide to 1000 no problem, and that is the farthest I will shoot this 6br in any competition's at that range which won't be more than a few times a year. I mainly shoot 300 and 500 for this upcoming year.

My friend has a Target Action with a shouldered Bartlien barrel installed on a H&S precision stock that has the bottom of the stock milled from where the action screws go all the way to the end of the fore end for a aluminum reinforcement plate that attaches a 3" front rest rider. He has a lot of money tied up into it! He is the one who shot the .210 group a 200 yards with my gun. Last year he shot a 5 shot group at 300 yards that was in the .0's with his rig. His best last year was 37X's and my best with my rig was 33X's, so I hope these Bart bullet's put the icing on the cake for me.:nevreness:

My friend used to use remington 700's and 40X's until last year he saw how incredible a .223 Mcgowen build I had would shoot. Once he saw my gun shooting so well for half the price he turned to Savage's except I think e went over board on his first one sending so the smith. Now he's building a Shilen 6Dasher all by himself with no smith. He is hooked!