PDA

View Full Version : Shooting software, apps, etc.

Pages : 1 [2]

muleyhuntr
02-19-2016, 09:29 PM
The 350 vs 1250 was written poorly on my part. A 350 yard shot with the typical rifle hunter who is poorly practiced, uses a poor rest probably has just as big a chance connecting on a buck at 350 yards as a guy shooting a 300 grain 338 with the proper equipment, practice and knowledge to shoot a deer at 1240.

I'm not implying a bow hunter ever looses a deer. I don't know where you got that idea from. "A 300 grain bullet leaves a lot of room for error on a marginal hit unlike an arrow." Big difference between a buck hit by an arrow and a buck hit by a 300 grain 338. You could hit a buck with a 300 grain berger in the hind quarters, guts, face, neck ect and chances are it won't go very far. Chances are it never lives another day let alone another season. Cant say the same with an arrow that hit the same areas.

Being a bow hunter who practices year round it gives me confidence in my ability to make the shot with my bow at the distances I've practiced. It's no difference then a guy that is proficient with his 338 and practices out to 1500 yards. If your nervous about the shot like the guy suggested in his scenario you make the adjustment and fix the problem just like you do in practice.

Hunting is hunting and if you do it long enough you will loose an animal with what ever weapon your using.

yobuck
02-20-2016, 11:23 AM
The 350 vs 1250 was written poorly on my part. A 350 yard shot with the typical rifle hunter who is poorly practiced, uses a poor rest probably has just as big a chance connecting on a buck at 350 yards as a guy shooting a 300 grain 338 with the proper equipment, practice and knowledge to shoot a deer at 1240.

I'm not implying a bow hunter ever looses a deer. I don't know where you got that idea from. "A 300 grain bullet leaves a lot of room for error on a marginal hit unlike an arrow." Big difference between a buck hit by an arrow and a buck hit by a 300 grain 338. You could hit a buck with a 300 grain berger in the hind quarters, guts, face, neck ect and chances are it won't go very far. Chances are it never lives another day let alone another season. Cant say the same with an arrow that hit the same areas.

Being a bow hunter who practices year round it gives me confidence in my ability to make the shot with my bow at the distances I've practiced. It's no difference then a guy that is proficient with his 338 and practices out to 1500 yards. If your nervous about the shot like the guy suggested in his scenario you make the adjustment and fix the problem just like you do in practice.

Hunting is hunting and if you do it long enough you will loose an animal with what ever weapon your using.

Id agree to what your saying here more than i did your first post. But the poorly prepared hunter at 350 would actually
be a bigger problem than a well prepared one at 1240 by a long shot. For the average traditional hunter just out there hunting,
350 is a very long shot. But im not implying he couldnt, just that he probably wouldnt be lets say equipted to do so.

I dont believe after about 45 years of hunting long range that there would be anybody on this site who couldnt hit that deer at 1240 yds.
Most just dont realize they can because theyve never tried it. And beyond that they are also cluless for the most part as to what it takes
and how to go about it. The emphasis is always on the need for a better and bigger gun with the right scope. Also on the need
for the latest and greatest other equiptment that makes it almost a sure thing. Provided of coarse youve done your part by practicing, practicing.
In reality very little of that is true. And i can prove that given the oppurtunity. Its already been proven by Dr Thunder and a few others here who
have visited Bang Steel in VA. You need to know how much elevation needs to be added to the scope in order to hit a target at the distance you wish to shoot.
Beyond that you dont need anything but the ability to hit it or recognise the reason you didnt immediatly. And therin lies the problem and also the key.
Its not about windmeters, ipods, or any other devices that have come along and succer people into believing they are needed.
Are they helpfull? well maybe, certainly more for some than others.
But their not going to make much if any difference on getting that deer laying over there at 1240 yds.
Ill take the sighter shot, and if i can get away with it ill take another one after that.
That will tell me wether or not im going to go for the deer, not some gadget.
I fully realize some types of competetion require shooting prone/bipod and maybe no sighters.
But hunting dosent, if were going to be shooting at animals at great distances either have a proper rest or dont do it.
Spend the windmeter money on building a good light weight portable bench and have
your buddy carry it while you carry the gun.

All this isnt directed at you Muley, just combining all into one post.
Where do you hunt muleys by the way?

muleyhuntr
02-20-2016, 12:01 PM
There you go then saying exactly what I'm saying. In archery and practicing year round I know what it takes for me to make a first shot where it counts. You being practiced in 45 years of long range hunting know you can't make a first shot hit at that range with the bipod sitting as tall as it is and shooting uncomfortable. The bipod height will change the harmonics of the shot and miss. So you make the adjustment until you can. Whether that's taking a first shot somewhere else, getting closer or having the guide spot you shooting at the deer and making the adjustments. Being a bow hunter I know without a doubt unless darkness is approaching 1240 yards is where a stalk for me begins, but if it's last day last hour I'm lobbing a 300 grain bullet. If there's lead in the air there's hope. Without hope you will eat the tag.

muleyhuntr
02-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Utah

yobuck
02-20-2016, 02:09 PM
There you go then saying exactly what I'm saying. In archery and practicing year round I know what it takes for me to make a first shot where it counts. You being practiced in 45 years of long range hunting know you can't make a first shot hit at that range with the bipod sitting as tall as it is and shooting uncomfortable. The bipod height will change the harmonics of the shot and miss. So you make the adjustment until you can. Whether that's taking a first shot somewhere else, getting closer or having the guide spot you shooting at the deer and making the adjustments. Being a bow hunter I know without a doubt unless darkness is approaching 1240 yards is where a stalk for me begins, but if it's last day last hour I'm lobbing a 300 grain bullet. If there's lead in the air there's hope. Without hope you will eat the tag.

Well thats where the 45 years pays dividends. Somtimes its best to eat the tag.
If you cant get 2 shots to land in the same place, you need to be questioning your motives.
As for the spotter, thats key to long range hunting. Without one there shouldnt be any, just that simple.

DrThunder88
02-21-2016, 02:12 PM
So, what are we discussing here? Apps? I use a few. One I guess. It's some milling calculator. I'd like to do the math in my head, which I probably could if I just printed my DA charts in meters instead of yards.

yobuck
02-21-2016, 02:27 PM
So, what are we discussing here? Apps? I use a few. One I guess. It's some milling calculator. I'd like to do the math in my head, which I probably could if I just printed my DA charts in meters instead of yards.

If you took a gun with every magnum cartridge made and even a few non magnum ones and put say 80 1/4 minit clicks on the dial,
how far off do you think you would be at 1000 yds?
Try it sometime with a spotter watching your shots. You might begin to wonder if any chart is necessary.

muleyhuntr
02-21-2016, 06:21 PM
I've played arround with Streloc. I think it was free. Only tested it out to 600 yards and it was pretty good on rabbits and various rodents with my .243